DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
61 - 80 of 125 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
Still being held up by waiting for the rest of my equipment to show up. Still no word on the SI sub getting done yet, and it’s been almost 6 weeks and the helix amp still hasn’t arrived. Finally called the shop again this week and they made up some excuse about getting the address wrong and said it would be delivered yesterday.

I’m looking into doing a 10” sub built into the glove box area, I’m gonna drop it out and see how much room I have to work with. I’m looking at maybe a Dayton 10” HO sub running on 200 watts. That will leave the 15” playing under 35htz.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
Fantastic build man.
Thank you :) I’ve been having an absolute blast learning about how to put a good system together, and it’s just blowing me away with how fun it is to listen to

I dropped the glovebox and was very happy to find a nice layout under it that should make for an easy box install with about .35-.4 ft3 available and plenty of depth. I ordered the Dayton HO 10” sub from Parts express last night, should be here in a few days. Hopefully 200 watts should be enough to cover response from 35-80htz. This is gonna be awesome!

·
Registered
918 Posts
All those hours and hours of watching tuning videos are starting to pay off. I got a custom 15" IB sub ordered from Stereo Integrity finally, waiting for it to be built and shipped. In the mean time I threw in an old Kicker CompR12" from my truck to see how it sounds with a sub. I still have a bunch of tuning to iron out, I need to get the gains set again to get alittle more headroom for quieter songs. I have the volume about maxed out on the director at my loudest listening volume, and sometimes some quieter recorded songs just don't cut it. I also have to figure out how to better align my mid-bass to mid-range speakers, I have a dip in the response at the crossover around 200ish I haven't figured out yet
View attachment 304052
I see you are using a Scanspeak 11m, that's a 4.5" midrange so why not change the crossover to something lower like 150hz and allow more of those lower vocals fire from the dash? It may help raising the stage some and help with that dip.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 ·
I see you are using a Scanspeak 11m, that's a 4.5" midrange so why not change the crossover to something lower like 150hz and allow more of those lower vocals fire from the dash? It may help raising the stage some and help with that dip.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
I will look into it on the next round of tuning. I think I played them with some lower crossovers to see where they rolled off naturally and went from there. I’ll try that again and see if I can drop them any lower

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #66 ·
6 weeks later and the Helix M 6 is finally here. This will do 2 channels of rear fill, 2 channels of mid bass and the last 2 channels will be bridged for the front sub. Now I gotta decide if I really want to order the Helix M One X just so the amp rack matches instead of the Fosgate amp being the odd one out….I know I’m not gonna get any major improvement but it’s gonna bother me having so much mismatched gear. Also the 10” front sub is here, as soon as I can get my basement shop all put back together I should have time to get back to finishing this out

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #67 ·
Well, I think I got my sub amplifier situation figured out rather nicely thanks to Huckleberry Sound. Now I gotta figure out how to fit all that AB class goodness! I want a really spectacular amp rack back here, but still going to try and keep some usable space in the trunk. I think once I get the baffle board installed, that will help me visualize how to mount the rest of the amps. The rear mounted factory battery is taking up quite a lot of space, and pushes everything off center which is annoying. Please ignore the horrible wiring, everything is still just temporary to keep it running while I work on the back

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #68 ·
I got the baffle cut and mounted. Still waiting on the SI sub, it’s been almost 2 months, looks like I’ll have to cal again and see what’s going on. Once I get the sub mounted I can start the final layout for the amps

·
Registered
2019 VW Jetta GLI
180 Posts
Hopefully your sub will arrive soon! I'm working on my new pillars right now, after that my next project will be IB. I was hoping to get an 2 FI ib318 but I dunno when they will be back in stock if ever...🙄. I might go with the AE's

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #73 ·
Nick posted a nice testing video. That looks really beastly! I can’t wait to post a pick of my current 12” kicker comp-VR beside it lol

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #75 ·
So how long overall did it take? What's the price?
I think it’s been around 7 weeks since I ordered the IB sub. I originally called and was swapping to the SQL15, but decided to try his custom IB sub after another member mentioned he knew he made custom 15’s. I didn’t want to try to fit an 18” in my trunk. It was around $480 for this, I think the price might be alittle higher now

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #77 ·
What’s better then 1 Zapco LX amps? Well, I guess 2 of them! I scored another one from a new friend I met at the SQology car meet a few weeks ago. The Helix M 6 was fine but after all this work I guess the amps need to match for maximum style points. Plus it put out 100 watts at both 2 and 4 ohm load which wasn’t ideal. It’s kinda sad but this is now the 9th amp that’s been in the car since I started oh well, at least now I have some awesome amps that I’ll enjoy. I might even run them with one amp per side for all 4 speakers, Tweet, mid, midbass and the rear fill. Then the AP will handle the two subs.

So we all know door midbass sucks and I think I will fix that soon. I also picked up a set of Stevens Audio MB-8 2ohm drivers. The plan is to eventually run them in vented kick pods. With the 2 ohm driver, that should give me 250 watts of midbass power.

I really can’t wait to get all this finished up, the only thing holding me back is finishing my basement shop which has been a 2 month long project right now. But I’m nearing the end and should have time to work on the car in a few weeks

·
Registered
2019 VW Jetta GLI
180 Posts
All that pretty equipment... I wanna see you use that shop to build a beautiful amp rack and kicks to go with them!! Lookin awesome!👨‍🏫

·
Registered
144 Posts
Constantly updating your shop to fit your needs will never end. My current shop layout is quite a bit different than I pictured it 4-5 years ago. I used to work out a basement shop without a walkout and hauling raw goods and finished products up and down tight spaces got the best of me.

Side Note: The walnut and curly maple table your speakers are sitting on is pretty nice. If you ever work with Curly/Quilted maple, I recommend using water dyes to make the figure pop.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #80 ·
Constantly updating your shop to fit your needs will never end. My current shop layout is quite a bit different than I pictured it 4-5 years ago. I used to work out a basement shop without a walkout and hauling raw goods and finished products up and down tight spaces got the best of me.

Side Note: The walnut and curly maple table your speakers are sitting on is pretty nice. If you ever work with Curly/Quilted maple, I recommend using water dyes to make the figure pop.
Woodworking was another hobby of mine a few years back. I just don’t have access to the larger planers and some specialty tools anymore

61 - 80 of 125 Posts