DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
81 - 100 of 125 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Woodworking was another hobby of mine a few years back. I just don’t have access to the larger planers and some specialty tools anymore
Not many people realize that a big part of building fine furniture is paying attention to grain flow and continuity. I like to resaw veneers and am frequently marking material as I work. Adding dye to sapwood (especially walnut) is something I frequently do as well.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #82 ·
Making some more progress finally. I picked up a Rivnut tool and man that thing is amazing. It made mounting the baffle board and the amp rack so much better then the self tapping sheet metal screws I was using before. Also, mounting a 45lb sub from the back seat is not fun at all

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #83 ·
Now that I have the sub mounted in I can start laying out the final amp rack design. It’s really hard deciding between mild to wild. It’s definitely tight with the large amps, and I can’t mount them centered up because of the battery being in the way so it’s going to be a compromise one way or the other

·
Registered
543 Posts
What’s better then 1 Zapco LX amps? Well, I guess 2 of them! I scored another one from a new friend I met at the SQology car meet a few weeks ago. The Helix M 6 was fine but after all this work I guess the amps need to match for maximum style points. Plus it put out 100 watts at both 2 and 4 ohm load which wasn’t ideal. It’s kinda sad but this is now the 9th amp that’s been in the car since I started oh well, at least now I have some awesome amps that I’ll enjoy. I might even run them with one amp per side for all 4 speakers, Tweet, mid, midbass and the rear fill. Then the AP will handle the two subs.

So we all know door midbass sucks and I think I will fix that soon. I also picked up a set of Stevens Audio MB-8 2ohm drivers. The plan is to eventually run them in vented kick pods. With the 2 ohm driver, that should give me 250 watts of midbass power.

I really can’t wait to get all this finished up, the only thing holding me back is finishing my basement shop which has been a 2 month long project right now. But I’m nearing the end and should have time to work on the car in a few weeks

I need you over here , I can’t get my shop setup to save my life, every time I get ready to do that , something else comes up
Nice looking work shop

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #88 ·
Started on the front sub box. It’s a tight fit for sure. I was able to easily add 3x 1/4-20 rib nuts to the crash bar and it holds it pretty solidly

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #90 ·
Now to start on the RCA’s. 1 down, 9 to go! These are very time consuming, especially for such short ones trying to get all the wire loom over it with enough to trim neatly after it’s assembled. After using cheap junky soldering irons for years, I finally stepped up and got a real one, as well as a helping hands station which I don’t understand how I survived without one

·
Registered
739 Posts
Beautiful!!! Where'd you find that helping hands station?

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #93 ·

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #94 ·
Distribution block is mounted and wired in. I have to get some 1/0 cable today to finish from the battery to the block. I might just be able to get some sound out of it tonight finally!

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #95 ·
I have music back :) look at that sub response curve, no EQ at all! It should play lower then what it shows, I was only using 20htz-20khtz pink noise, I'll have to use the REW pink noise to see how well it plays lower. I still have a ton of work to do with all the beauty panels, but its getting closer.
Rectangle Plot Slope Font Parallel

·
Premium Member
1,802 Posts
I have music back :) look at that sub response curve, no EQ at all! It should play lower then what it shows, I was only using 20htz-20khtz pink noise, I'll have to use the REW pink noise to see how well it plays lower. I still have a ton of work to do with all the beauty panels, but its getting closer.
View attachment 311877
Nice and deep for sure! Gotta question though… you’re about 30dB higher 20hz than 60hz. What are you using for midbass and what are your crossovers? I didn’t go back and refresh my and I’m old but this is a AE 15” trunk baffle?

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #97 ·
Nice and deep for sure! Gotta question though… you’re about 30dB higher 20hz than 60hz. What are you using for midbass and what are your crossovers? I didn’t go back and refresh my and I’m old but this is a AE 15” trunk baffle?
7” midbass in the doors right now. Sub crossed at 60, midbass crossed at 80. The midbass need tuned right now, I had to change a bunch of settings in the tune and basically started from scratch so I haven’t had time to fully retune the midbass to clean them up yet. The sub is a custom Stereo Integrity IB15” in a trunk baffle. I’m also finding out I tend to like more bass then a typical true SQ build usually has

81 - 100 of 125 Posts