DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This car (not mine) is getting a full sound deadening treatment. No audio upgrades/install on this one (at least not yet ;) ). Some pics of the car:

Not much to say, so I'll let the pics do most of the talking.

·
Registered
3,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
CCF+MLV for the interior

Measure and cut:

and lay flat

and repeat

Here's a picture after putting the carpet back on:

and with the center console and B-pillar covers:

·
Registered
3,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Back Seat

Same treatment for the back seat. First, some vibration damper:

Measure and cut the CCF+MLV (remove the seat belts):

And with the seat belts installed:

·
Registered
3,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Trunk Lid

Removed the trunk lid liner to get to the metal

Apply vibration damper

And install the trunk lid liner back on

·
Registered
3,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Trunk

After removing all the carpet

Applying vibration damper

I decided to open up behind the foam over the wheel arches, and found this:

At least there's a bit of factory damping, but decided to add some additional vibration damper

Finally, added the CCF+MLV like on the interior floors

and put the carpet and everything back together

·
Registered
63 Posts
You went through all the trouble of removing the entire interior but then used so little material? Why is that? I know a little can go a long way, but I think you could've probably used a bit more in places. How well do you think it is going to hold up under the hood?

·
Registered
675 Posts
Boy that sure looks familiar ;).

·
Registered
482 Posts
What is the benefit of applying under the hood? I have seen the dynamat stuff that also has the heat shield, but this seems like the heat could have an adverse effect?

·
Registered
546 Posts
Im a little confused about having it under the hood as well. Id be weary about it lasting very long. But everything looks good other than that. Any reason why you didnt put any MLV on the firewall? I think you will block alot of engine/road noise there.

·
Registered
2,742 Posts
Very little engine noise passes through the hood and windshield into the passenger compartment of a modern car. Just look at the angle between the hood and windshield. Much more will come in through the front of the floor and lower firewall. I tested a Civic hood with a full treatment - vibration damper, CCF and MLV with a reflective face. No measurable difference. I doubt the vibration damper installed with have any problems surviving under the hood, but I'd expect there to be no difference after treatment.

·
Registered
3,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
You went through all the trouble of removing the entire interior but then used so little material? Why is that? I know a little can go a long way, but I think you could've probably used a bit more in places. How well do you think it is going to hold up under the hood?
For the vibration damper application, my approach was to supplement the factory deadening already there. So the RAAMmat I added + the factory deadening should be in the 25% coverage range. As for the CCF+MLV application, I covered everywhere in the interior where I could fit, and with the fused 1/4" CCF to the 1/8" MLV, everything barely came back together. I'm not sure I could have added any more of the CCF+MLV.

I think the RAAMmat will hold up fine under the hood, but as another member has commented, probably will have little effect. In retrospect, I could have probably used the material elsewhere, perhaps the roof. Then again, didn't want to tackle taking that apart :).

·
Registered
3,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Any reason why you didnt put any MLV on the firewall? I think you will block alot of engine/road noise there.
This picture is probably the closest I could find without taking the car back apart :).

If you'll note, the MLV+CCF goes underneath the factory insulation. I lined the front area as high as I could without taking apart the dash. You should be able to see a hint of MLV under the foam through the hole of the factory insulation at the top left :).

·
Registered
2,742 Posts
For the CLD application, my approach was to supplement the factory deadening already there. So the Raamat I added + the factory deadening should be in the 25% coverage range. As for the CCF+MLV application, I covered everywhere in the interior where I could fit, and with the fused 1/4" CCF to the 1/8" MLV, everything barely came back together. I'm not sure I could have added any more of the CCF+MLV.

I think the CLD will hold up fine under the hood, but as another member has commented, probably will have little effect. In retrospect, I could have probably used the material elsewhere, perhaps the roof. Then again, didn't want to tackle taking that apart :).
Looked like more than enough supplemental vibration damper on the floor to me. The floor is one of the least resonance prone areas in a vehicle. The manufacturers have already hit the sweet spots so unless you feel like pulling up the factory material - pointless, IMO - you need very little extra. The barrier is WAY more useful than vibration damper on the floor.

·
Registered
3,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Looked like more than enough supplemental vibration damper on the floor to me. The floor is one of the least resonance prone areas in a vehicle. The manufacturers have already hit the sweet spots so unless you feel like pulling up the factory material - pointless, IMO - you need very little extra. The barrier is WAY more useful than vibration damper on the floor.
Thanks, glad you concur! :D

·
Registered
3,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
did you do any decibel measurements before and after?
I don't have the equipment to do so, and don't plan on getting anything like that unless I do this more often. Not sure how good the iPhone app is, maybe I should have tried that LOL.

Unfortunately, I was too eager just to work on the car and didn't even drive the car "before"...so will have to rely on the owner's qualitative comparisons. For the "after", I drove it around the block and noticed I could hear little things in the cabin. For example, I left a set of house keys just on the passenger seat, and while driving, that rattling around was the main thing I kept on noticing. Everything else outside seemed subdued. It wasn't like I could hear a pin drop, but it's definitely quieter than my Civic (with the same treatment).

The owner hasn't come to pick up the car yet. Will post back once I get their impressions.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts