DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
61 - 80 of 190 Posts

·
Registered
439 Posts
nice speaker baffles....makes me want to get a router!

it does look very easy to seal...the genesis door looked like it was much easier to work on for sure, but this doesn't look much different either. i like it.

Just wondering, for the trunk, i'm not sure what you're planning on, but does the way way it's setup make an IB sub setup reasonably possible and/or easy?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
nice speaker baffles....makes me want to get a router!

it does look very easy to seal...the genesis door looked like it was much easier to work on for sure, but this doesn't look much different either. i like it.

Just wondering, for the trunk, i'm not sure what you're planning on, but does the way way it's setup make an IB sub setup reasonably possible and/or easy?
I can't really make up my mind how I want to set up the trunk:confused:

I thought about IB but really don't want to do any cutting on the rear deck.

This is kind what I had in mind:
False floor with edge light plexi around the amps and woofer.

Thanks on the baffles! The router and circle jig may be the best purchases ever, they pay for themselves pretty easily.

·
Registered
439 Posts

Thanks on the baffles! The router and circle jig may be the best purchases ever, they pay for themselves pretty easily.
I don't know man...that setup just doesn't look efficient enough for me...looks like it'd get muffled up in the trunk.

I have no idea what the pass-thru looks like, but I don't think cutting up of the rear deck would be necessary, if you use the pass-thru as your baffle mount.

I love when the IB's are in the trunk pass-thru. So easy to conceal, such a space saver, and you usually keep access to the spare tire. Plus, they're usually really efficient as well, obviously. But, the pic you have is pretty sick too, and easily concealed...just no spare. Not a huge deal, IMO, but something to consider I guess.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
I can't tell from the picture, but can you not keep the spare if you did a false floor?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 ·
I don't know man...that setup just doesn't look efficient enough for me...looks like it'd get muffled up in the trunk.

I have no idea what the pass-thru looks like, but I don't think cutting up of the rear deck would be necessary, if you use the pass-thru as your baffle mount.

I love when the IB's are in the trunk pass-thru. So easy to conceal, such a space saver, and you usually keep access to the spare tire. Plus, they're usually really efficient as well, obviously. But, the pic you have is pretty sick too, and easily concealed...just no spare. Not a huge deal, IMO, but something to consider I guess.
I can't tell from the picture, but can you not keep the spare if you did a false floor?
I don't have a pass through at all. So I'll either do something like the picture or molded in one side of the trunk. I may be able to keep the spare tire not sure yet though.

·
Registered
340 Posts
i saw a sonata at my installer being fixed up. it had a false floor with big amps. then the sub was facing the rear with a custom box that took up the entire back side.

the tire was still accessible through the false floor.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Its not hard to get the plastic part of the door out. Just pop off the cover for the bolts that hold the window in, pull the window, remove all the bolts that hold the plastic part in, remove the door handle, and everything comes right out.

Just dont pull to hard, there is a tiny spring in the door handle that breaks very easily.

·
Registered
8,524 Posts

I haven't read the thread very closely, so I apologize if that is way off of what you can or want to do, but what does the metal skin of the rear deck look like? 6x9, 6.5? You can easily fire a 10" IB sub through a 6.5 inch opening without it affecting the sound (the sound waves are just way too long to be affected). All you'd need to do is mount the baffle to the under side some how and then subs to that.

Although, in this case you will need to seal up and solidify the trunk/cabin separation much more then you would if the sub were mounted in a box in the trunk. In that case, you'd want the opposite.

·
Registered
772 Posts
ts - There are no speakers in the back deck, save for the 8 inch factory sub.
Would be fairly simple to do though, you're right about that.

Chad - good lord, man. Glad the fam is safe. Scary as hell.

Good luck on the build, blackedout.

I look forward to watching this thread intently.

I myself bought my wife a 2011 Sonata for Christmas. She loves it.

I opted for the gls model though - it was the only model available with a manual transmission. Turbo was nice, lots of added features, but ugh, a damn auto.
Way I see it, if i'm gonna spend that much money on a car, it better be able to let me drive it how it's supposed to be driven. I haven't bought an auto in close to 15 years, i'll be damned if I start now. Extra features be damned.

Please, take some more pics, they will be invaluable when it comes to doing my own install, if you don't mind me using them as a reference.

Oh, and if you wanna make a few bucks, if you make some extra baffles i'll buy em. I suck at woodworking.

Oh - one more thing if i'm not being a pest - could you measure the depth from mounting point of the speaker to the max usable depth that does not interfere with door internals? Wondering if I could get a shallow 8 in there....would be great as the underside of the dash has plenty of clearance even for full body hlcd's.....wuld be a great front stage.

Anyway - again - good luck! Look forward to hearing how it's coming along!

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #71 ·
Its not hard to get the plastic part of the door out. Just pop off the cover for the bolts that hold the window in, pull the window, remove all the bolts that hold the plastic part in, remove the door handle, and everything comes right out.

Just dont pull to hard, there is a tiny spring in the door handle that breaks very easily.
OK, thanks!

ts - There are no speakers in the back deck, save for the 8 inch factory sub.
Would be fairly simple to do though, you're right about that.

Chad - good lord, man. Glad the fam is safe. Scary as hell.

Good luck on the build, blackedout.

I look forward to watching this thread intently.

I myself bought my wife a 2011 Sonata for Christmas. She loves it.

I opted for the gls model though - it was the only model available with a manual transmission. Turbo was nice, lots of added features, but ugh, a damn auto.
Way I see it, if i'm gonna spend that much money on a car, it better be able to let me drive it how it's supposed to be driven. I haven't bought an auto in close to 15 years, i'll be damned if I start now. Extra features be damned.

Please, take some more pics, they will be invaluable when it comes to doing my own install, if you don't mind me using them as a reference.

Oh, and if you wanna make a few bucks, if you make some extra baffles i'll buy em. I suck at woodworking.

Oh - one more thing if i'm not being a pest - could you measure the depth from mounting point of the speaker to the max usable depth that does not interfere with door internals? Wondering if I could get a shallow 8 in there....would be great as the underside of the dash has plenty of clearance even for full body hlcd's.....wuld be a great front stage.

Anyway - again - good luck! Look forward to hearing how it's coming along!
No problem I get you the depth when I take the doors back off!

Oh ok, thanks.

Here's one example of a similar setup then.

http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/157887-post50.html
I could try that but how do I know if I have the right woofer for an IB setup?
Just hate to go through all that and it doesn't sound good.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #72 ·
Well IB is not an option, I don't have a pass through and the trunk support rods split the middle of the rear deck...the factory 8" badly clears it. So...it's gonna have to either go in the false floor or molded in a corner truck. Any suggestions on what might sound better?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #73 ·
Well got some work done this weekend. Got all the wire run through the factory plugs. There was no way I could fit the 12 ga. wire through the opening I had. So the only thing I could think to do was to splice in a short piece of 16 gauge to get through the door plug.

Front Doors

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #74 ·
Rear doors

Damp Pro, Overkill, and Luxury Liner

Baffles and speakers mounted in the rear

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #75 ·
Well finally got back at it again. I can see the light at the end of the tunnel. Here are a few teaser pics.

Finally found an Audison SFD41C, thanks to Salad Fingers.

Here are a couple of the amp rack progress.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Lookin' nice, man.

I've been showing my wife each one of your updates, in the hopes she'll finally cave and let an install happen.

So far, yours is looking really clean. I like the amp rack.

Keep up the good work, and I look forward to future updates.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Love this build so far. In the process of my own build.

Any tips on the windows for getting access to the nine door skin? I've read hmaservice but first hand tips always help.

·
Registered
4,028 Posts
My Genesis Coupe may be a little different but here's what I did...
I used some blue painter's tape on the window that lined up with the front edge of the window where it fits into the rubber seal, and then did the same across the bottom. I also took a sharpie marker and circled the bolts that hold the window in. Then I removed them and the inner panel. When I went to reinstall the window I had 2 different ways to make sure I lined them up correctly.

Good luck.

Jay

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #80 ·
Looking very good!! I have the same car and love it. How did you get the amp rack to fit so well in that opening?
Thanks and the amp rack as it is now wasn't hard, measure twice & cut once.

Love this build so far. In the process of my own build.

Any tips on the windows for getting access to the nine door skin? I've read hmaservice but first hand tips always help.
The windows are pretty simple. I'll post detail pictures when I install the mids in the front doors.

Lookin' nice, man.

I've been showing my wife each one of your updates, in the hopes she'll finally cave and let an install happen.

So far, yours is looking really clean. I like the amp rack.

Keep up the good work, and I look forward to future updates.
Thanks and I understand about the wife thing. Just take my approach do it and deal with her later:D.

61 - 80 of 190 Posts