DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone,

I have done lots of forum surfing trying to figure out what setup I would like best to replace the stock Shaker 500 system in my Stang Vert. Unfortunately, I have not found many threads speaking of the 2010+ Verts with regards to audio.

What challenges will I face enjoying the system with the top down? Is there changes to the setup that could promote a better experience?

From what I gather, first thing I want to do is have the rear 5x7/6x8s disconnected.. I am fine with that.

Second thing would be to replace the exist stock speakers with components that fit in the 5x7/6x8 door mounts. This is not knowing where to install the tweets yet.

Third, I would be inclined to do some deadening management and be selective on the quality of wiring I would use.

That is about where I feel somewhat confident the rest I hope to gather.

For the moment, lets consider I don't have a budget. As long as a golf bag can fit in the trunk, I am good. I have been looking at JL audio products. I primarily listen to Hard Rock, Top 40. I enjoy the sound quality of a good Daughtry ballad as well as the power of Metallica. Heck, throw in some Yanni and Toby Keith at times.. lets just say my music taste varies.

Some of the many questions that I would like to throw out...

Should I consider replacing the stock "subs" with JL ZR800-CWs?
I have been looking at the JL ZR/C5/C3 5x7/6x8 components am I going in the right direction? Which ones would be best for my application?
Should I be drawn toward a 6.5 Component set instead of a 5x7/6x8 set?
Should I be drawn toward (2) 10" JL Subs due to my trunk size?
It is feasible to get this power system adding a /5 or a /4+/1 amp keeping the stock head unit? Would I need a Cleansweep?

I appreciate all the advice and responses.. I am a sponge at the moment. I am not opposed to other brands, but I prefer trying to match equipment. I miss feeling my music and need to feed my fix.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Re: 2011 Mustang Vert/Deluxe Package - Replacing Shaker 500, Need Advice

Hello Everyone,

I have done lots of forum surfing trying to figure out what setup I would like best to replace the stock Shaker 500 system in my Stang Vert. Unfortunately, I have not found many threads speaking of the 2010+ Verts with regards to audio.

What challenges will I face enjoying the system with the top down? Is there changes to the setup that could promote a better experience?

From what I gather, first thing I want to do is have the rear 5x7/6x8s disconnected.. I am fine with that.

Second thing would be to replace the exist stock speakers with components that fit in the 5x7/6x8 door mounts. This is not knowing where to install the tweets yet.

Third, I would be inclined to do some deadening management and be selective on the quality of wiring I would use.

That is about where I feel somewhat confident the rest I hope to gather.

For the moment, lets consider I don't have a budget. As long as a golf bag can fit in the trunk, I am good. I have been looking at JL audio products. I primarily listen to Hard Rock, Top 40. I enjoy the sound quality of a good Daughtry ballad as well as the power of Metallica. Heck, throw in some Yanni and Toby Keith at times.. lets just say my music taste varies.

Some of the many questions that I would like to throw out...

Should I consider replacing the stock "subs" with JL ZR800-CWs?
I have been looking at the JL ZR/C5/C3 5x7/6x8 components am I going in the right direction? Which ones would be best for my application?
Should I be drawn toward a 6.5 Component set instead of a 5x7/6x8 set?
Should I be drawn toward (2) 10" JL Subs due to my trunk size?
It is feasible to get this power system adding a /5 or a /4+/1 amp keeping the stock head unit? Would I need a Cleansweep?

I appreciate all the advice and responses.. I am a sponge at the moment. I am not opposed to other brands, but I prefer trying to match equipment. I miss feeling my music and need to feed my fix.

(Just noticed I posted in the wrong forum.. feel free to move as I don't see an option to fix it myself.)
Lets start with the shaker 500, the sub is junk if it has a sub. Mine doesnt but I bought used.
The doors need a lot of deadening. 6.5 components will work very nicely in these doors, tweets can be added to the A pillar or into the interior door mirror sail. Where youll run into issues is the factory 8s, Ford uses their own molded door panel and it isnt very deep. Ive got B&C drivers for mine.
The trunk is an issue if you want any space. JL audio use to have a corner sub/box that was very expensive for what it was but worked well. Depending on how loud you want to be...2 tens could work and just about any other variable from four 8s to 3 tens etc. If you search the Mustang forums like SVTPErformance, s197, teamshelby, etc youll find some nice installs.
Did your car come with the Nav unit? If not ditch the factory head unit and go aftermarket and forget about the cleansweep or other processors you dont need. If you are like me and have the nav and want to keep it, get an MS8 or something along those lines.
As for amps, yep a 4+1 would work same for a 5+1. However you may be able to save coin by buying multiple amps.
As for your product selection, JL is nice but spendy. IMO you can obtain the same quality of sound or better for similar money.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
see if a mod will merge your posts. i responded in the other thread you made
I appreciate your response. What year is yours and is it a convertible? No, I chose not to get the Nav. it really isn't a necessity for me. I would prefer to keep the stock head unit if possible. Yea, the "subs" are horrible in the doors. You said that similiar quality can be purchased for less. Any examples?

·
Inappropriate Thoughts
4,005 Posts
I had a 2006 Mustang GT up until last week. I'm assuming they keep the overall Shaker 500 close to the same using the chipamps in the driver's side footwell to power the door subs. The major change came in the full CANBUS audio control unit (i.e. your factory radio).

This was one of the many iterations that the poor car went through regarding the sound system: http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/build-logs-project-install-gallery/70942-2006-mustang-gt-shaker-500-replacement.html

I'm not making that mistake again!

Now your decision will be based on your budget. If you plan to go fully active, you are going to need some sort of external processor, like the JBL MS-8 or the Audison Bit One. The JL Audio Cleansweep is a nice unit, but it is severely behind the curve in technology. Personally I'd do a single ported 10 in the trunk and run the components active by placing the 6.5s in the stock 8" location and placing the tweeter in the stock 6x8 location. If you want more umph, you could do ported 10 in the trunk, 6.5" or 8" midbass drivers in the 8" locations, 5.25" or 6.5" component woofers in the 6x8 spots, and have custom fabricated sails to house your tweeters. This is not my photo, but was sent to me by another installer for inspiration:

Finally, since you drive a vert, I'd highly recommend keeping the system as stealth as possible because you are only one pocketknife away from losing everything.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts