DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 228 Posts

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We all know the Subaru audio systems are terrible, so this was the perfect excuse to strip everything down and start from scratch.

Components:

Headunit: Pioneer AVIC-X930BT
Sat Radio: Pioneer XM Receiver
Front Stage: Hertz HSK 165XL
Rear Stage: Stock
Amplifier: DLS RA30 (70x2 and 265x1 at 4 ohm) - Will soon be replaced with the Hertz HDP 4 which will push 150x2 and 500x1 at 4 ohm)
Subwoofer: Dayton Audio Reference RSS265HF-4 10"
Subwoofer Box: Audio Integrations 10" in Black

I wanted to keep a stock look and function of the car while really stepping it up to a SQ system at the same time. Ryan at SladeAudio.com did an incredible job of fiberglassing the pillars for the tweeters to move the front stage forward.

The interior with the AVIC-X930BT

The stock bluetooth mic is handled through a harness and there was no way to remove it and securely mount the Pioneer mic without it rattling. I found a hole in the light section that I was able to wedge the Pioneer mic into and it works perfectly.

Prior to the install...I went ahead and applied Dynamat to all four doors to get rid of most of the Subaru rattling issue. The front doors are a PITA. I ended up having to cut strips and apply as the cross bars and design of the doors didn't allow for big pieces at once. When you shut the doors now, they sound so much better than the flimsy sound you get stock.

Between the headunit install and the Dynamat, it was actually surprising how much better the stock speakers sounded. When you take out the stock headunit, you can tell what a piece of crap it really is. It doesn't weigh anything at all...almost as if it is hollow inside.

Tweeter fabrication in pillar start

Hertz Tweeter in pillar

The HSK 165XL 6.5" drivers were installed in the stock door location. Ryan fabbed some 3/4" spacers to get the speakers to actually fit in the door due to the increased depth.

Dayton Reference 10 (still needs a grill...the Audio Integrations one is just three bars that do next to nothing for protection)

So far I am really happy with the setup. Everything could use more power and up until this point, there wasn't an amp that could fit under the seat that could get the job done. The Hertz will double the power output and still stay hidden...so it will be interesting to see how everything sounds with the increased output in a couple of weeks.

Future plans: Add the new amp and find some way to seal the front doors.

Thanks to Ryan at Slade Audio for the install and sourcing the parts.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Looks good. Would you happen to know the volume of that enclosure? It stuffed at all?

Saw your other thread about trying to lock down a reasonably priced 10'' and I'm in the same boat trying to occupy my spare tire well. I am hoping to find a Peerless XXLS in a 8 ohm variation to try but sourcing them has become difficult. Have been considering the Dayton instead, along with a JL W3v3 and SSA DCON.

Your buddy Rex's son by the way. I'd like a chance to hear the Dayton sometime if ya don't mind.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Looks good. Would you happen to know the volume of that enclosure? It stuffed at all?

Saw your other thread about trying to lock down a reasonably priced 10'' and I'm in the same boat trying to occupy my spare tire well. I am hoping to find a Peerless XXLS in a 8 ohm variation to try but sourcing them has become difficult. Have been considering the Dayton instead, along with a JL W3v3 and SSA DCON.

Your buddy Rex's son by the way. I'd like a chance to hear the Dayton sometime if ya don't mind.
.65 cubic feet and stuffed. Sounds great...just let me know when you want to hear it.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Nice install! There have been a few other 2010 and 2011 WRX installs on here recently. With your BT mic, what does it look like with the cover back on? Does it make use of the slits there for the OEM mic or what? And how is your call quality with it mounted there? I have mine on the steering column and want to try somewhere else.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Nice install! There have been a few other 2010 and 2011 WRX installs on here recently. With your BT mic, what does it look like with the cover back on? Does it make use of the slits there for the OEM mic or what? And how is your call quality with it mounted there? I have mine on the steering column and want to try somewhere else.
You can't even tell it is there with the cover back on. I didn't modify the light cover at all as I wanted to try it out on phone calls before trying to vent it. Everyone I have talked to on the phone can hear me loud and clear (actually better than the stock one), so I left it.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Well I might have to try and get one of those light covers. How has the low end (20-40 Hz) and general output been with that Dayton sub sealed? I know they are awesome ported (I have a 12 in my home setup ported), but some guys complained about lack of low end and general output in a sealed config w/o serious power. Just wondering your opinion cause I really like those subs.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well I might have to try and get one of those light covers. How has the low end (20-40 Hz) and general output been with that Dayton sub sealed? I know they are awesome ported (I have a 12 in my home setup ported), but some guys complained about lack of low end and general output in a sealed config w/o serious power. Just wondering your opinion cause I really like those subs.
As it sits right now, the low end of the frequency range it not as well supported as I would like. That will probably change significantly with the power increase that is planned to come in the next week or two. Right now, the Dayton is only getting 265w.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Gotcha. Post some thoughts once you get the extra power to it.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
I'm in LOVE with this picture...

Nice install!

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
1 - 20 of 228 Posts