DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Brief History:
I have been into car audio systems for the past 3 years. I have never done any installations my self, all my work so far has been through a quality local audio shop. I want to start taking on my future audio projects my self. The reasons for this are to a) save money b) my knowledge of car audio has increased over the years c) I now own an American made car. I previously owned a BMW and was not comfortable with attempting certain DIY's that involved custom fabrication.

Here is the previous set up I had for my BMW:
Pioneer 5200 DVD single din flip out
(1)12W6V2
(1)JL 500/1v1
(1)JL M6600 Six Chanel Amplifier
(?)Memphis Door Speakers & Tweeters (Not sure what brand, I know they were inexpensive though)

Current Set Up:
-2011 Tahoe LT
-Bose System w/ out Nav
-New Pioneer Double Din
I moved the 500/1v1 & the 12W6v2 from the BMW into the new truck.

Plans & Goals:
- My first plan is to insulate (sound proof, sound deaden, whatever the proper term is) all the doors and the cargo area.
-Eventually move the JL M6600 Six Chanel Amplifier into the truck to power 6 component speakers for the cabin.
-maybe step up to a 1000/1v2 and add another 12w6v2

Questions:
-My previous installers used a material called RoadKill for sound proofing my old ride. Is this material the best/easiest to install?
-Does anyone here have experience with sound proofing 07+ Tahoes? Any crucial spots and approx how much should I buy for what I want?
-What sets of components should I get that 6 channel to power? I was not satisfied with the intro line Memphis speakers I previously had.
-I will be approaching all of these goals over an extended period of time. Right now my budget is 500 dollars. I am thinking the sound proofing should be my first step bc of price and how much the door speakers and overall sound will increase.
-I prefer SQ to SPL.
-Please keep in mind I am new to this and would prefer using equipment that is as plug and play as possible. I'd rather not be cutting up the new truck.. At least for now :D
- I plan on logging this (been wanting to start a blog) So this will be cool for those that give me the best advice to watch this build happen.
- Any other advice will be fully accepted. Thanks.

·
Registered
172 Posts
First off there are chevy tahoe forums all over the internet i would search for one those that has an audio/video section. They usually will have tutorials on how to remove the dash/doors/seats etc. for your vehicle which i have found is a huge help.There is alot of small intricate parts on the chevy's to break and mess up when u install all of your gear.You are definetely heading in the right direction with deadening first that is a job in itself and with a large vehicle like you have your gonna need alot ive seen bulk packs on the usual auction sites run from 200-300 dollars just search "sound deadening". Your gonna want to do the whole floor as well as the doors and the rear doors or hatch. Also go to crutchfield.com and they have a feature called "whats fits my car" or something like that and it will let you know what components will fit you vehicle with minimal modification. When you are finally ready to buy your components dont overlook the deals you can get on used gear most of the guys on here take real good care of there equipment and sell it in almost new condition you can get some really good deals. Hope i helped a little and didnt ramble to much.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
First off there are chevy tahoe forums all over the internet i would search for one those that has an audio/video section. They usually will have tutorials on how to remove the dash/doors/seats etc. for your vehicle which i have found is a huge help.There is alot of small intricate parts on the chevy's to break and mess up when u install all of your gear.You are definetely heading in the right direction with deadening first that is a job in itself and with a large vehicle like you have your gonna need alot ive seen bulk packs on the usual auction sites run from 200-300 dollars just search "sound deadening". Your gonna want to do the whole floor as well as the doors and the rear doors or hatch. Also go to crutchfield.com and they have a feature called "whats fits my car" or something like that and it will let you know what components will fit you vehicle with minimal modification. When you are finally ready to buy your components dont overlook the deals you can get on used gear most of the guys on here take real good care of there equipment and sell it in almost new condition you can get some really good deals. Hope i helped a little and didnt ramble to much.
Thank you for the insight. I am relying on the .pdf versions of the owners manual and some chevy forum searching as far as taking the car apart goes. I have a solid tool set and plan on investing in some pry tools to assist with removing the panels. Are there any other unusual tools I might need during the circuitry and wiring steps of the build? I am checking eBay audio stores daily for deals on sound deadening. The plan on using the crutchfield website to find what fits then look for better deals on used equipment to save cash. Does anyone have recommendations for a set of components & coaxials for my specific amplifier? I am using four channels to power up front components and the remaining two channels to power coaxials for the rear. What would be the most effective approach for getting my lights to stop dimming? My owners manual does not mention the specs on my alternator or battery, but I plan on looking under the hood tomorrow to see what I am working with. You did not ramble at all and your input is appreciated. Just to clarify, I plan on purchasing the materials I need over the next four months then taking on the bulk of the project during the month of May. I plan on purchasing my items by importance so that I do not end up with mismatched/unusable equipment. Here is the order of my purchases: 1&2 will be purchased ASAP and might get installed during the second week of March.

1. Sound insulating material
2. Device to fix my dimming lights
3. Component Speakers for up front
4. Coaxials for the rear
5. Wiring for everything

Possible future steps include upgrading to a 1000/1v2 and adding another 12W6v2. I would use a ported enclosure for the dual 12's.

My buddy has installed some basic audio systems in the past (subs and amps) and will be helping me with the wiring processes.

Thanks again for the help everyone. This is going to save me a lot of money.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
2. Device to fix my dimming lights
By "device" I'm guessing you mean a capacitor. Fix your dimming lights by

a) doing the "Big 3". There are tons of write-ups on how to do this. You add on larger gauge wires from the alternator to the battery positive terminal, a larger ground from the engine to the negative battery terminal, and a larger ground from the battery to the chassis.
b) Upgrading your alternator. This might cost you ~$500. When you do your comparison shopping pay attention to the rated output at idle, not just max output.
c) Add a battery(or multiple batteries) with an isolator to power the sound system. This would be done only after your alternator is upgraded and the Big 3 is done.

First I would make sure your amp is grounded correctly. This means finding a solid part of the chassis which you can drill through and reach from under the vehicle. Then you scrape the paint and use a nut on a bolt to attach your ring terminal. Even better would be to pass your ground wire through the body to ground it to the frame rail, then add another ground wire on top of it that leads to the negative battery terminal.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
By "device" I'm guessing you mean a capacitor. Fix your dimming lights by

a) doing the "Big 3". There are tons of write-ups on how to do this. You add on larger gauge wires from the alternator to the battery positive terminal, a larger ground from the engine to the negative battery terminal, and a larger ground from the battery to the chassis.
b) Upgrading your alternator. This might cost you ~$500. When you do your comparison shopping pay attention to the rated output at idle, not just max output.
c) Add a battery(or multiple batteries) with an isolator to power the sound system. This would be done only after your alternator is upgraded and the Big 3 is done.

First I would make sure your amp is grounded correctly. This means finding a solid part of the chassis which you can drill through and reach from under the vehicle. Then you scrape the paint and use a nut on a bolt to attach your ring terminal. Even better would be to pass your ground wire through the body to ground it to the frame rail, then add another ground wire on top of it that leads to the negative battery terminal.
Thank you for the helpful response. Does the "Big 3" need to be done all at once? I can't fit all of those measurements into my budget all at once. Do you believe that a capacitor would be able to fix my issue with the equipment I am using? A capacitor will fit into my budget but I want to make sure that I am properly fixing the issue. I will check the amplifier grounding tomorrow and post some pics to see what you guys recommend. I will also be ordering sound deadening material from eBay tomorrow. I have decided to go with a butyl based deadener. I don't want to risk having the smell of tar in my new truck. I have also posted a WTB thread in the classifieds so anyone with used quality component/coaxial set(s) that will suit my amp and door size please PM me.

Thanks,
Sneaky

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am honestly not sure. My theory is that my previous installer used a marine amplifier because my first 6 channel amplifier was ruined due to severe water damage. Perhaps this one has better water resistance? I am not bothered by the fact that it is a marine amp, unless there are any drawbacks I am unaware of. It does the job just fine.

Thanks

·
Registered
172 Posts
Big 3 Upgrade Kits - Darvex.com This is everything you need for the big 3. I have a 2009 silverado with the 4.8ltr i think the alt is 130 amp i am running a 1000 watt class d alpine and this pretty much solved my dimming. I am probably still going to upgrade the alt later but this helped alot.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts