DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been out of the audio scene for about 12-13 years. I use to listen to rock at extreme volume and loved heavy bass. I remember back in the early 90’s having a Honda crx si with 2 lansar 15's before pyramid bought the company. I swear they loosened every bolt on the car and sounded like a rattle death trap on the outside. ahh the good times.

But the times have changed, although I still love rock with a heavy kick drum. So I'm looking for a little help in the sound quality area but nothing to crazy. I’m looking for clean crisp sound that can handle little volume at times and I’d still like to feel a little thump in the chest.

I have a 2011 Tundra Rock Warrior Double cab, looking to spend about $1500 more.

I have already purchased:

Clarion NX501 dvd/nav
Clarion CCA748 Ipod/video cable
Clarion brake bypass Cr2
Axxess ASWC
Metra Kit 99-8220CHG

Now the hard part and looking for your thoughts …

PPI PC3.65C 3 ohm 3 way for front $330
PPI PM.8 3 ohm Full range for rear $50
PPI Phantom P900.4 $230
PPI phantom P1000.1 $210
2 Memphis 15-SC12D4 Shallow $400

Also have a Fosgate power 500a2, 2ea polk DB12's. The polks won’t fit for this application. The amp could work, although I would like a matching 4 channel if I decide to go that route.

I hear a lot of great reviews about Stereo Integrity BM series, but it looks like it might be a while for those to release.

Any help, Ideas, or thoughts would be great. I’ve never used PPI before as I have always been a Fosgate fan but I remember the quality of the past and hope it’s still the same today.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Anyone have experience with Audioque?

was looking at AQ4X90 and AQ1200D and those looked like an option as-well.

·
Super Moderator
5,227 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Awesome, thanks for the pointers.

Which DSP/drivers would you recommend?

Research on the tundra looks like we can fit 8's in the door. depth of 3.75" using a 1.25" baffle/spacer.

Something like a Dayton Audio RS225-4 8

3" drivers in the stock dash location and tweets in the window sails.

I'm trying to keep the truck stock looking as much.

Thanks again!

·
Super Moderator
5,227 Posts
The Dayton or the Peerless 830667. Reviews are helpful, like this one http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/member-reviews-product-comparisons/47930-8-comparo-dayton-rs225-vs-peerless-sls-830667-vs-pioneer-ts-sw841d-shallow-tall.html

Measure the opening in dash and the depth. But probably a 3".

I almost forgot, this would mean you need 2 more channels. So you need a hefty amount of watts for the midbass and around 50w for the midrange and 50 for the tweets (just guessing).

For 3" look at Dayton ref, Fountek FR88/89EX, Tang band Bamboo.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
3" by 1.75" mounting depth. I can mod the width if needed and have about 1/4" cleanance at the top before I would hit the grill. (from the factory speaker) Depth cant be changed as its hitting the A/C ductwork.

So if I stick with the PPI amps, would It be an overkill on power for the 3-way?

P900.4 145w x4 @ 4ohm rms
Channel 1/2, 3 inch drivers RS75-4 15w rms
Channel 3/4, tweeters 15w rms

P600.2 190w x2 @ 4ohm rms
channel 1/2, Dayton Audio RS225 80w rms

P1000.1 1000w x1 @ 1 ohm rms
2ea 12" 4ohm DVC shallow mount subs of some brand.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
4.5-5" depending on excursion. I would like them top mounted but not hitting the fabric of the seats.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I have a Stereo Integrity BM in my tundra and it's a great shallow sub but since they are hard to come by and the MKIV won't be out for a while, the Alpine SWR-T12 would be my next choice.

If you decide to go with a 3 way route, you can fit 3.5" speakers in the dash. The Fountek FR88EX fits pretty much as drop in or you can fit the Dayton RS100 with a little cutting of the dash.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Awesome, Nice to see another Tundra's opinion and thoughts.

Are you using the window sails for your tweets?

My sails are flat, so I either need to purchase the ones made for tweets with factory angle or fiberglass a custom set facing the correct way.

How do the mids sound bouncing off the windshield?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts