DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heres the dilemna. I have about 8 external cu.ft to play with. So about 6.64 internal airspace to play with. I can go smaller but thats the largest I wanna go. I have 1500 RMS watts on bass. Sub(s) and port will be on the same plane firing forward.

Okay would you go with:

1 RE Audio SX18 in 6.64 cubes tuned to 40 hz

or

1 RE Audio SX15 in approx 4 cubes tuned to 40 hz

or

2 Fi Audio FX12 in 4 cubes tuned to 40 hz (for sale in classifieds now)
?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
Please give me your opinion and why?

Goal: SPL

·
Registered
390 Posts
Well 2 12's are 24in, or 1 18 (18in) or 1 15 (15in), more cone space = more displacement (to dumb it down a little), so if you want SPL the logical answer would be 2 12's, but likely you'd have more control using a single sub?

Now are you going to be competing in SPL comps or do you just wanna be LOUD?
Cause you have a hatchback which will naturally Rock your Pants off!! 1500W on an 18 would destroy your ride...same with a 15...

So why not just go with an 18...personally I would love to see it!!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well 2 12's are 24in, or 1 18 (18in) or 1 15 (15in), more cone space = more displacement (to dumb it down a little), so if you want SPL the logical answer would be 2 12's, but likely you'd have more control using a single sub?

Now are you going to be competing in SPL comps or do you just wanna be LOUD?
Cause you have a hatchback which will naturally Rock your Pants off!! 1500W on an 18 would destroy your ride...same with a 15...

So why not just go with an 18...personally I would love to see it!!
Competing in SPL comps. I competed two years ago with 4 10" JBL Power series in a Honda Element. Was able to burp 147. The year before that, same vehicle, 2 Rockford Fosgate T1 15's was only able to burp 141.

·
2,103 Posts
An 18" has more surface area than 2x 12" subs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 - 5 of 5 Posts