DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 223 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

This is my first build thread on DIYMA so I hope I have the format right. I will reserve a spot on the first page for current pics to be updated so you don't have to dig too much to see what's going on currently, I have a feeling this is going to take some time.:D

CAR:

2011 Impreza WRX base model

My first new car I've ever bought, it completes me.

Goals:
I want to acheve the highest level of sound quality possible without what I would consider major reconstruction(dash from scratchums), or large holes cut into the body.

I would like to have an auxillary bass circuit for different sub setups other than the sub responsible for sq. I like trying lots of different subs and boxes so I would never be happy without the ability to throw something new in. This means whatever I build for sq has to either be flush/stealth or flashy yet well designed for quick removability.

Stealth mode-steathy enough to fool anybody staring in my windows. This means incognito mode for radio, pillars, doors, and in the hatch nothing above the sun shade line. Now don't get me wrong, I love flash. I get all warm and fuzzy inside every time I see a piece of mirror acrylic, but everything must be able to be covered, flash on the inside.

Install Highlights:

Stealth or Show
Well intergrated SQ system
Custom A-pillars
Custom doors
Custom dash bezel
Custom guages/console
Spare tire well amp rack
Sub-box????

Equipment:

(at the time of starting the thread)
Headunit-Pioneer DEX-P9
Processor-Pioneer DEQ-P9
Amps-Audison LRX 2.150, Audison LRX 2.250, Audison LRX 1.400
Speakers front-Pioneer Stage 4 TS-C172PRS(active)
Speakers rear-none
Sub-A/D/S PX310
Wires-Stinger expert power, Monster cable power and signal.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Now that's out of the way, let's get to the build! I picked up the car early spring last year. First upgrade was straight to the tint shop for Llumar ceramic tint 30% all around.
Next I placed an order to Second Skin for some Damplifier Pro and Luxury Liner Pro.

I wanted to better understand what all the damping and deadening was going to really do for me throughout the spectrum so using TrueRTA and Audio Tools I blasted the car from about a meter away with pink noise one octave at a time. One reading from just outside the car and the next from the listening position. These will be my before readings for later graphs. Already though it seems the car is insulated well in some ranges. I then redid the test with the engine on.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Couple of days later and a nice shipment from Second Skin was waiting for me at home. Even though I bought a shop pack, this will be the first of three rounds of damping/deadening to come. Really I want to concentrate on the floor at this point since it's a part of the car I only want to tear up once if possible maybe twice...

I began the tear down and gave a light layer in the doors and a couple of pieces on the door cards. The doors will come after the pillars so just light work in the doors for now.

In the car I started in the trunk area and worked my way slowly forward. I pulled seat belt holders and everything I could to get material as far in the rear wells as I could. I also damped the rear panels as well.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Next I ripped out the rest of the interior for damping, and began the techflex campaign. A single run of 1/0ga for power and 12ga for all speaker wire. Because of the P9 combo there are no runs of RCAs from the front to the back of the car, instead fiber optic and IP-bus cables are ran in wire loom.(tips were too big for techflex)

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Definitely not ruining any grommets in the car either so the decision to cut a hole in my car had to be made. Didn't want to do it but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do.
Once the hole was drilled, I went with a primer paint pen and painted all the bare metal surfaces and installed a waterproof grommet.

The damping continues...also wire running, zipped every 6 or so inches where applicable. Right side first and coiled wires for door run later.

I installed the blue factory foot well lights and decided they weren't bright enough so I upgraded them including the one in the console.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Looks on point Rick, glad to see a thorough build thread.

(it's Kolten btw, long time no see! hit me up sometime, alot has gone down since the last time we talked lol)

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks y'all, appreciate the compliments.

To clarify, this is all been done in the past so far. Currently I'm a little over a year into the build and have a bit more done and have a few hundred pics so even getting to today is going to take a minute.

As far as the thread goes we are about three weeks into the build.

Kolten!! What it do? I was just in a conversation about you with Sabastian From BB and Prince like two hours ago, crazy!

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Here I began the pillar build. I wanted the tweeters to be against the metal of the a-pillars for width, and I wanted to countersink the whole operation inside the factory pillar without wrapping the pillar for that ultra factory look. For steath purposes, grills were to be made and attached with my favorite stealth fastener, magnets.

The stage 4's seemed to be a small enough tweeter to pull this off so I went for it. Now what I had in mind seemed rather elaborate and they turned out that way for sure. In total I spent 60+ hours on the pillar build over several weeks. I not a slow builder and I'm an installer by trade so that's a very long time for some damn a-pillars...but I couldn't be much happier with how they came out.

First I had to chose a pattern I liked. The trapazoid shape I ended up with seemed to allow a direct path to either passenger from either pillar and I thought it would look stylish without that "over the top" look.

I started taping the pillars on the outside to make a shell. One key step on the build was to mark the spot they will go with an ink pen very accurately. I made two identicle templets from thin white construction paper.

Meanwhile, the damping/deadening continues across the car towards the front doors.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Great start and great car......

Congrats on your 1st new car, in all of my 41 years I've never purchased a brand
new car. I hope it keeps you as happy 10 years from now as it does today...

Cheers,
Scott

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Every couple of days or so I'd get a chance to pull it into the bay for a couple of hours for progress. The left side was ready for wiring so more techflex and zip ties.

With both lines inked as symmetrically as possible, I layed three layers of fiberglass mat/cloth/mat in one batch to make a thin outer shell.

Giant zip tie+Wd40=Easy as heck to run wires through boots!!

Thank you Subaru for no molex plugs!

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Great start and great car......

Congrats on your 1st new car, in all of my 41 years I've never purchased a brand
new car. I hope it keeps you as happy 10 years from now as it does today...

Cheers,
Scott
Thank you sir!! I hope to drive this car into the ground!! I've recently gone back to a 45 min commute to work so I really get to savor and enjoy my shit every day.:)

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The install of wires through the body of the vehicle are complete at this time and the floor has been deadened. I threw the mids in the doors on some quicky plywood baffles for now and double side taped the tweeters to the pillars in their mounting cups.

Here are some finished floor/wiring pics.

Installed the radio in a metra kit(for now!!!)

1 - 20 of 223 Posts