DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Very well done, sir. Great attention to detail.
Much appreciated.

This quite a learning experience and has been a proof of concept type of thing for me. It's a combination of things I've seen and I am trying to replicate. Plus, I can be a perfectionist to a fault on certain things.

This is the first step and then I think I will start trying my hand in more advanced fabrication like fiber glass, detailed custom box builds, advanced tuning, etc.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Well...... I was able to get the work in on the install.

Pulled the 4Runner apart to get the 4 Channel in.

Here is a shot of the ACR-3 that i mounted a while back. I forgot to snap a pic of it. It is a prefect place as it can be hidden behind the fold down door. They did away with this in later 4Runners.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I decided to wire up some beater tweeters I had to use for the first turn on. They are from an old Diamond D6 5.25 component set that I had to buy out of necessity.

My Audi had some body work done and the tech snapped my Focal into pieces. They paid for the speakers and the install and my choices and time were limited. I should have just installed them myself. The guy was a HACK!!!! He mounted the speakers too close to the door panel and used some weird glue to try and get the tweeters mounted. The speakers were almost destroyed before i could figure out what the was going on with them. An issue with the woofer developed over time.

Check out the GIANT crossovers.....

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I mounted and wired the Morel Hybrids. I used some XT60 connectors on a suggestion from other forum members. Man i am sick of soldering. If you noticed in the last post I also made a removable/swappable 33uf inline protection cap assembly. I can either remove this or add a different cap assembly if i feel that it is hindering my tune.

You can see it hooked up in the photo with my beater tweeters.

Here are the stock units for comparison. They weigh almost nothing.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Mounted the speakers to the doors. Used some of the SoundSkins Pro to see if it would help with the back wave. Maybe it will, maybe it wont? I have some left, so why not?

I had some speaker rings from a previous build and was able to recycle them for this build.

I used a 1 awg run from the battery to the fuse block. I notched the battery terminal cover to allow a proper fit. I loaded the fuse block with 80 amp fuses and got the power wires all secured. I bought some black mesh wire loom from WireandSupply.com when I ordered the 1 awg wire. I think the effect of the red under the black looks good. I totally recommend WireandSupply.com, there prices are AMAZING!

With the power ran and everything all hooked up, it was finally time to turn it on for the first time. I had run a series of test tones through the headunit the night before and measured with an oscilloscope. It was hard to determine clipping as my oscilloscope is limited I don't know if I had the range. It was a little inconclusive and determined that the stock headunit might have a bunch of roll off. I'm still trying to learn this process, so it could be me? I disconnected the speaker terminals from the amp and unhooked the sub, I turned the GTO switch on the amp to on, turned everything down on the sub amp, hooked up the old beater computer and turned the key......

First thing was to set the crossovers and try to set the input gain. As much as I tried I could not get the input to trigger the MILC Clip Detection. This leads me to believe that there is something built into the stock deck. Max volume didnt trip it. I moved onto the output section and started the auto EQ to get the stock headunit eq reeled in for the meantime. I worked the output gains a bit and set the sub amp gains.

Here is where I ran into a problem. AudioControl gives you a booklet that is just a feature overview and its almost useles! I used everything I could find online to figure out some of the functions. What does AudioControl not make very clear???? Well, Ill tell you.

I had everything set, so I turned the key off. Amps turn off and I hook up all the speaker terminals again and hook up the sub. I turn the key on and there is a noticeable hiss from the speakers. I was disappointed, to say the least and thought I had a big problem with interference somewhere. So, I re-initiate the DSP program....... What do I see? Everything has reverted back to default, EXCEPT MIRACULOUSLY all of the crossover settings. Gains MAXED OUT! What AudioControl doesn't really drive home is that you need to press and hold the preset to save the tune. I had looked for a way to save the first time, but when I didnt find anything I assumed it autosaves. NO! Press and hold the preset..... This is exactly why I used beater tweeters first!

So I shut the whole thing back down and removed the speaker terminals again and unhooked the sub. I got everything setup again and SAVED the settings. I hooked everything back up and turned it on.

I played some tracks that i had handy and it sounded pretty good. Those Diamond D6 tweeters are actually better than I remembered. I played around with the setup for a bit, saved again and turned everything off. I pulled the beater tweeters and hooked up the Morels. I gave them a try and they sound good. Needs tuning, but decent so far.

I then put the interior back together and got the seats in. Everything is clearing nicely and it now looks like a completely stock sound system. Now all I need to do is start the tuning. The speakers also need some break in time, so it will be a work in progress. The AudioControl amps are so nice and I really think there is some potential there, but man do they need to work on their manuals/instructions. The DSP is pretty straight forward once you get into it. It may only have a graphical EQ, but I think i have everything I need to get the sound where I like it. I really need to set the T/A to get it blended, but I will need to work on that with the tuning.

So far I'm happy with it. ::beerchug:

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Well, I started some tuning efforts and thought I would share some of my experiences so far with AudioControls DSP amp and the mono amp, as well as the Morel Hybrids.

I can't say enough about the quality of the AudioControl amps. Very well built, very easy to work with and they sound very good. The DSP is very simple and straight forward, but there are a few things I think AudioControl can do better. They need a more in-depth manual for their product and the features they incorporate into the unit. However, I can say this...... If you need help with their products just give them a call. I spoke with someone almost immediately that answered all my questions. This individual knew what they were talking about and you could tell they like the car audio industry. It didn't seem like "just a job". But, I think some of the questions would have been eliminated with better model specific literature.

The DSP for AudioControl is decent in my opinion, but it isn't at the level some here may expect. It will get the job done, but lacks more advanced tuning. You're limited to graphical eq and only a couple selections for crossover. It does have everything you would expect from a DSP, but the gain structure in the amp is a little confusing. The issues I am having may be due to my stock headunit, but I am slowly figuring it out. I think I have everything I need to enjoy my music, but if your looking for competition grade I would look elsewhere as I'm sure anyone here would.

Now the Morels....... What can I say, I love them so far. I stumbled across a distributor near me out of pure luck and they had a Morel display with Tempo, Virtus and Hybrids with the 5 channel amp and two Ultimo subs. I originally bought the Virtus , but they gave me a deal on the Hybrids I couldn't pass up so I went back and picked them up. I had come from multiple Focal setups and I was looking for something a little more laid back. The Morel tweeter are EXACTLY what I hoped they would be. They are accurate, smooth and sound amazing. That's also only on a quick setup. There have been some notes in music that had me all smiles. The jury is still out of the woofers. I really need them dialed in, but they blend really well so far and as they break in they have gotten better and better.

The JL Audio 12w6v3 needs no introduction and I can only add my experiences with this setup. So far the LC-1.800 handles that sub really well. In the JL spec sized box the sub sounds very musical and blends reasonably well with the AudioControl amp and my setup. I think there is a lot of potential there and I love that it can dig down deep when I want it to. I feel like my stock headunit is giving me a hard time though and the accubass feature in the amps is cleaning it up reasonably well. I am just using the feature for the rolloff without any boost.

I think there will be more to come once I can really get the eq'ing in. Wish me luck, if anyone is still reading this.....

·
Registered
218 Posts
Do you have power seats? Wasn’t aware there was that much room under the four runner seats for amps. Good work BTW

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Do you have power seats? Wasn’t aware there was that much room under the four runner seats for amps. Good work BTW

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I do have power seats. There is plenty of room under the seats. I think I am at the max though. The audio control amps are pretty standard height, so a slim amp would be even better. I think the max width you could fit between the seat rails would be about 13 or 14 inches. I know I could fit an AudioControl d-6.1200 if I wanted no problem.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Thank you for the great pics, write-ups, review and ideas. Im about to go down this road with my 2017 4Runner. Im planning on running the D-6.1200 to make install easier.

Did you decide on the best spot for the sub?

Im still not quite sure which sub I want to go with.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Thank you for the great pics, write-ups, review and ideas. Im about to go down this road with my 2017 4Runner. Im planning on running the D-6.1200 to make install easier.

Did you decide on the best spot for the sub?

Im still not quite sure which sub I want to go with.
I placed the sub on the passenger side, against the seat and facing up. It's worked pretty well in that position for my taste. It's easy and out of the way. I know people have their own opinions about JL, but I like the W6. It's done a pretty good job giving me what I expected. When I get more time I might try some different orientations or subs. I really like my audiocontrol amps. Once you get used to tuning them, they will reward you in many different ways.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Also, tuning is the key. There are some challenges with the 4Runner. You can get some good staging with the speaker configuration, but it takes some time. I tried a bunch of different techniques and came up with my own process. I think there is still more to be had out of my system, but it sounds very good to me. I love the Model Hybrids and they just keep getting better and better.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
As long as the Audiocontrol can do independent EQ and T/A for each speaker Ill be happy. Where did you get the HDPE speaker adapters? Tacotunes?

·
Registered
21 Posts
So...I just got my DM 810 recently and Im also trying to solve that equation through trial & error. Heres something I learned that Audio control doesnt tell you. When your setting your input gain, you have to test your scource with lower tones. If your trying to set your deck using 1000hz or something similar, for some reason the MILC wont detect clipping that high. I used 40hz. Why its like this I dont know but for channel 1&2 thats the way it is designed. I would assume its the same on the amplifiers.

·
Registered
21 Posts
So...I just got my DM 810 recently and Im also trying to solve that equation through trial & error. Heres something I learned that Audio control doesnt tell you. When your setting your input gain, you have to test your scource with lower tones. If your trying to set your deck using 1000hz or something similar, for some reason the MILC wont detect clipping that high. I used 40hz. Why its like this I dont know but for channel 1&2 thats the way it is designed. I would assume its the same on the amplifiers.
Source*

·
Registered
281 Posts
Great install. Good luck!

21 - 36 of 36 Posts