DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am hoping that somebody here can help me out. I have been researching for weeks and am seriously confused.

I have a 2012 Lariat SCrew w/Sony and No Nav. I want to keep the stock head unit, upgrade door speakers and add an amp & sub.

My problem is that the factory HU (via the OEM Sony amp) rolls off at higher volumes to "protect" the stock speakers. I want a system that achieves balance at any volume (and doesn't cost a fortune).

I cannot figure out how to work around the OEM amp (if possible). To make matters worse, I have stinking molex connections in my doors. :mad:

Tips/suggestions?

Am I better off pulling the stock HU, amp and sub and going new throughout? I'd rather not lose SYNC and I definitely do not want to lose my steering wheel controls.

·
Registered
48 Posts
You can take a look at the AudioControl OEM integration units with AccuBass, either the LC2i, LC7i, or LCQ-1. The AccuBass circuit was designed to correct the bass roll off in today's factory audio systems. As far as replacing the headunit, if you wanted to go that route you can retain sync and steering wheel controls.

·
Registered
331 Posts
you can go ms-8 that will work or there is a device that allows you to change the head unit and retain all the sync features, but I dont know the name....Give me a minute I will find...

·
Registered
5,598 Posts
My personal opinion is to keep the Sony Sync no matter what and incorporate the MS8 into your equation. With that as you base, you have a couple of clean ways in which to route your system with.

·
2,102 Posts
The doors are full range front and rear. I've used an lcq1, also fed that signal straight into an amp with high level (mosconi one series), and used a processor. As it sits, I believe you have to retain the amp. When tuning, just compensate for the high vol rolloff and peak out your setup at 3/4 vol.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks a lot for the replies!

I have continued my research and may be finally catching on. :surprised:

How does this look:

Factory HU ~~~ PAC AOEM-FRD24 Harness ~~~ Factory Harness ~~~ Factory Amp ~~~ Audiocontrol LCQ-1 ~~~ Aftermarket Amp.

Factory Rears remain powered by factory amp.

Aftermarket fronts, tweeters and subwoofer powered by aftermarket amp.

I believe that this will bring the sound stage forward, provide a summed signal and off-set the roll-off.

Am I on the right track here?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Crap. :mad:

Any suggestions on a harness in place of the PAC? Metras seem to give out shortly after install........not a great track record.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Factory HU ~~~ PAC AOEM-FRD24 Harness ~~~ Factory Harness ~~~ Factory Amp ~~~ Audiocontrol LCQ-1 ~~~ Aftermarket Amp.
You wouldn't need both the AOEM-FRD24 (which isn't compatible with the factory Sony system anyway) and the LCQ-1 as they are essentially doing the same thing. You can just go factory amp to LCQ-1 to aftermarket amplifier.

·
Registered
331 Posts
No joke I have a 2010 expi with a sim system go ms-8 and be done. You will be ahead of the game. Your going to want more and I started with the rf 360.2 and out grew it quick.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I am thinking you are right Mark.

Things are just too involved to intercept before the factory amp (HU to ACM to amp).

MS-8 is more $$ than I was hoping to spend but I also know that you get what you pay for. Gonna tap in the MS-8 at the factory amp and go from there.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I didnt have sync nor sony system...so for the money I found an aftermarket HU was my best option...you could look at AudioControl LCi6 (will let you expand to your door speakers later -- $149 at Crutchfield) or a lot of people recommend the bit.1?? but I have not researched that.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts