DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My equipment showed up today so I decided to start the build log. Car is a 2012 Mercedes AMG E63. Equipment is all Audison and Hertz. Install by Driven Mobile Electronics (Chris and Mark).

Goes in the shop on Monday. So I should start having build pictures to post next week. Front stage is the new Violino and Sax speakers with a Thesis quattro powering them. Hertz ML 2500.3 subwoofer on a Hertz HP 802. I'm doing this in two stages, the next one will be 2 additional subs and sub amps, and going crazy in the trunk. Oh, and the Bit One HD for DSP. That's a forum favorite right? :D

·
Registered
4,637 Posts
Love those speakers - I have the tweets, but I haven’t seen the new Sax yet. They should be very good in that car with that amp and DSP. I’m looking forward to seeing this log.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Love those speakers - I have the tweets, but I haven’t seen the new Sax yet. They should be very good in that car with that amp and DSP. I’m looking forward to seeing this log.

I should have taken a pic of the Sax. Looks amazing. And the whole cone is translucent. Guess I was too excited looking at everything. lol

·
Registered
494 Posts
sub'd are you going FIR mode on the HD?

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The plan is to use FIR.

I still have the car this week. But it got dirty in the snow yesterday. Here are some old pictures

some mclaren photobombed me lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The plan was to use stock locations for the front stage. He was going to build new sail panels and flush mount the tweeters. I am not a fan of pillars.... but I might get talked into it. Lol

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Finally have enough pictures to make it worth posting an update.

The amp rack is built for the final stage. It will hold the 3 Hertz amps horizontally, and the Thesis amp will be on top of them vertically. For now, both amps are just mounted to the rack.

The DRC MP remote is mounted in front of the shifter. Car came with a laser jammer that the controls were mounted there previously. Those got relocated.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Doors...

Maybe I’m biased, but I can’t stop looking at these Sax drivers. Sucks to hide them behind the door panels.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Wow! Wow! Wow!

Those Thesis Sax ii drivers are so incredibly sexy!!! I would love to hear this car when completed!

I know- I keep looking at the pictures every couple minutes. Lol

You’ll probably get to hear it at some point. I’ll be going to some meets and competitions that I’ve seen you post about. I’m hoping to hear it tomorrow.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Couple more pics

I want to listen to it already!!

That tweeter pod isn’t finished yet. Need to remove the window sticker too.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Hey Jason, JC

For the best of my recall FIR mode is limited to 9 channels only but that is still plenty.

I fully agree about the feeling that the beauty of the midbass drivers should not be hidden but the fact that it is a good looking merc pays up for it with its original design. I would let those babies out though also from sound aspects and not just beauty.

This just informative - I've seen lately a very interesting brand named Taramps - they manufacture a line of full range mono amplifiers with ridiculous amounts of power - they have been tested and they are up to their ratings - check them out, but not for this project obviously.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Hey Jay,

Yeah they are sourced from Brazil but you can get them online with global shipping - Marketing I guess. They have loads of power and if they are SPL aimed they should have a very good level of control at the low frequencies (damping) - sounds like an easy way to run a full three way passive on a small powerhouse, save a lot of space, weight and money.

I was looking at this build and it reminded me the C230 of Garry Summer's crazy setup from some reason.

I think he was using some JL mono blocks that have a very wide range for his woofers and subs but what Taramps are doing is full range and they tend to emphasize it.

From the other side we have in this thread a BitOne HD and a Thesis amp which supports FullDA which is awesome technology - am using it years over years my self.

I can't help thinking about conversations with "golden ear" people that claimed that you can not compare fullda to a good analog system -> not taking in mind that their HU is a... digital CD player

That also always kept a thought in my mind that I should have brought a dog whistle with me to the talk just to see if they go crazy from pain or simply start lick... well umm ok.

Not to mention that fact that you can play at 192/24 rate you also gain with FullDA "digital quiet" since it does not let any kind of noise go through it - for example if you are sourcing from BT - no matter if it is via your head unit or from a BT to Optic receiver such as AMAS2 or the new AMAS 96K (or is it 92?) or something like a Belking SongStream - you won't hear any thuds when you stop/pause or connect via BT while you are at FullDA mode (meaning you enter the AMP from the Bit in a digital manner)

From the other hand - I have a center speaker at my main car (Micca Covo-S - amazing 3 inch source point at 20$ a piece) that is bridged on a massive audio BX4 amplifier (aside to the Audison Voce5.1HD running at FullDA) and since it gets so much power - it is at the lowest volumes (less attenuation) that you find out how stable and well defined that speaker is able to play - and I can't tell the difference audio wise other than hearing a little thud from it when ever I play/pause or connect via BT since it is not running at FullDA for that channel.

Which is better? opened for debate - but I've written this down in case thread owner has thoughts about infrastructure for amps which are not meshed for FullDA -> blast it with power! (or use more sensitive speakers).

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Here are the finished A pillars. I’m extremely happy with how it turned out. And how it sounds. Need to enjoy it for awhile before I go back to finish the trunk :)

·
Registered
88 Posts
Nice looking install.

I especially like the way the remote was installed into the ashtray.

I did a quick and dirty version of a bass remote in my CLK. I will have to look at it again this summer, as yours looks quite nice - can you close the lid on the ashtray?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts