DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some basic pics to start with. I haven't really done a serious modification yet but it's time to get on with this. I bought one more Tang Band tweeter 25-2176s for my tweeter pod build. Some 1 1/2" PVC Caps and they fit pretty good in it. I will machine the inside of the cap enough to recess the ring into the cap and epoxy it flush to the lip. The brass fittings will let me attach to the a-pillar trim and run the speaker wire thru it. More pics to follow.

Attachments

·
Registered
237 Posts
Some basic pics to start with. I haven't really done a serious modification yet but it's time to get on with this. I bought one more Tang Band tweeter 25-2176s for my tweeter pod build. Some 1 1/2" PVC Caps and they fit pretty good in it. I will machine the inside of the cap enough to recess the ring into the cap and epoxy it flush to the lip. The brass fittings will let me attach to the a-pillar trim and run the speaker wire thru it. More pics to follow.

Will the brass nuts be visible? If there are what’s the solution to hide them. I’m also in the process Of mounting some tweeters. Just looking for ideas. I like the pvc caps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Will the brass nuts be visible? If there are what’s the solution to hide them. I’m also in the process Of mounting some tweeters. Just looking for ideas. I like the pvc caps.

I'm considering a thick black o-ring to hide them after they are tight. I will be able to do the final tightening from the back of the a-pillar. There will be epoxy involved so the o-ring will hide any mess I might make. Also will use a black rubber o-ring between the mounting ring and the tweeter. It fills the small gap and size difference between the PVC cap and the tweeters aluminum dress ring. I'll paint the PVC cap black but I am going to experiment with some texture sprays to find something similiar to the dash or a-pillar. I'll post pics and descriptions of what I finally do.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I'm considering a thick black o-ring to hide them after they are tight. I will be able to do the final tightening from the back of the a-pillar. There will be epoxy involved so the o-ring will hide any mess I might make. Also will use a black rubber o-ring between the mounting ring and the tweeter. It fills the small gap and size difference between the PVC cap and the tweeters aluminum dress ring. I'll paint the PVC cap black but I am going to experiment with some texture sprays to find something similiar to the dash or a-pillar. I'll post pics and descriptions of what I finally do.

Sounds good. I will be mounting them to the sail panel. My sail panels are too small for a tweeter. I have to mount a cup to it. I would like to find an adjustable mount to fit between the cup and sail panel.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Interested in how the tweeters sound, the mounting, and most of all the texture spray you find works best. I still need to pick a tweeter for my R56, but I know I will be going the pod route for mounting.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sounds good. I will be mounting them to the sail panel. My sail panels are too small for a tweeter. I have to mount a cup to it. I would like to find an adjustable mount to fit between the cup and sail panel.

Mine are not going to be exactly adjustable, but I think I can get them pointed properly. If not I can atleast make a few sets to experiment with. The cups were less than $2 each. My little car doesn't have a sail panel. I'm a little jealous.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Interested in how the tweeters sound, the mounting, and most of all the texture spray you find works best. I still need to pick a tweeter for my R56, but I know I will be going the pod route for mounting.
The tweeters in their current location sound good. I have them in the top of the door panel just forward of the interior door panel. I did drill a hole for them but they mount so nice. I'm going to get another set of the C shaped part of the door panels when I get my tweeters mounted to the a-pillar. Unfortunately the Tang Band tweeters I have are no longer available in the USofA. Or atleast I couldn't find them so I ordered a single one from nonsolospeakers.com. Not cheap as shipping was half the total cost. Parts Express pricing was $35 I believe. Nonsolospeaker.com cost me $87. International shipping is not your friend. Stay tuned for more pics after this weekend.

Attachments

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Made a little progress. Came out real good. I had to machine the inner lip of the cup to get the aluminum mounting ring to recess into the cup. I am going to epoxy the rings in place and drill the hole for mounting on the A-pillar. Still no decision on surface texture for the cup. I haven't been able to find a texture spray similar to the dash or a-pillar surface so I might experiment with truck bed liner or rubberized paint.

Attachments

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
A bit more progress after some vacation time in Mexico. Lots of beer and burritos. Good times.

I ended up using bed liner as my texture coating on the pods. I'm ok(lower case) with the results but I will be messing around with other texture options and maybe some material to wrap it.

Attachments

·
Registered
260 Posts
I have a 2010 Clubman S that I am about to start playing around with, I was going to get a set of the stupidly expensive A-pillars with oem tweet mount, but this looks slick and a lot less expensive. I have a set of the Orion tweets (made by ADS back in the day sitting in a box) that would work for this. Do you have a full build thread? I am wondering how big of a pain the car is to take door panels apart. Thanks for the ideas.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have a 2010 Clubman S that I am about to start playing around with, I was going to get a set of the stupidly expensive A-pillars with oem tweet mount, but this looks slick and a lot less expensive. I have a set of the Orion tweets (made by ADS back in the day sitting in a box) that would work for this. Do you have a full build thread? I am wondering how big of a pain the car is to take door panels apart. Thanks for the ideas.
No specific build thread other than this one. My progress has been slow so my updates have become non exsistent. Door panels are easy to take off. Just a bunch of clips that pop out to remove the outer part of the door panel. The inner part with the arm rest and door pull is more complicated. I'm currently running full active with tweeters in the pillars and the 6.5" in the door and a sub in back from my 5 channel amp. I'll probably not do many more updates as I'm considering trading for something a little larger. Maybe a MINI Paceman or a Golf GTI.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts