DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 254 Posts

·
Registered
950 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a build log for my 2012 Ram crew cab.Ive been working on it for a few months already, and im gonna transfer it from another forum. Originally this was going to be a simple install, I didnt think was DIYMA worthy. Then it took a turn for the more technical so i figured id share it in hopes to learn a thing or two...or three or twenty.

I bought the truck about 3 months ago threw a pioneer AVH-X4600bt double din in it 2 days later. I was gonna be happy with a couple amps, a sub and component set and you will see how this all changed through the build. Like many of you here, good is never good enough and better is still never good enough.

The truck...

My original goals and equipment list...

The goal:
-First and foremost I want it to sound CLEAN and loud. Is there really any other way to listen to music?
-Keep everything as factory as possible. (this is a new concept for me)
-Everything custom 1 off and implementing a few tricks ive always wanted to try. LEDs, plexiglass, fiberglass etc. (I know, not factory at all but it will be hidden under the seat so kinda still stealthy. Maybe. well see)

Equipment
-AVH-X4600Bt
-DLS Iridium 8.3i- 3 way components with 8" mids
-Undecided rear 6x9 replacement yet
-JBL MS-A1004...100x4
-JBL MS-A500...500x1
-DIYMA 12

Basically all this equipment (and future equipment) was bought on this forum. So if i bought from you... thanks.

Now the build.
If you have never seen under the rear seat of a crew cab ram....

Yea... ima try to put an R12 in there

The issue comes in the width of the magnet... ~8.5"

I made 3 baffles to test fit and see how much i need to raise seat and move sub etc etc..

comes close but does not fold down with 3 baffles and no spacers under seat yet...

Space with only 2 baffles

obligatory pic of tape on carpet...

glass and matt applied...

Pulled out and edges trimmed a little

Resin I had on hand didnt go as far as i thought it would so some spots you see are the matt that didnt soak enough resin. Next few layers will take care of it.

Thats all for now. I will fiberglass the bottom of the enclosure then determine if i need 2 or 3 peices of thickness. After that I will work on squeezing the 8" midbass in the fron doors.

·
Registered
950 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The factory door speaker are 6x9s and one of my plans was to fit some 8" in there. I didnt want to start on door speakers until i knew I would have time to complete them because i didnt want to be without tunes or doorpanels for any amount of time. I figured one full saturday would be enough time. So got some more accomplished on sub box...

back edges sealed air tight with resin...

Done up with some deadener for added mass and to decrease any resonance. Sucker starting to get heavy...

Test fit to make sure nothing changed..

Like a glove...

Sanded edges down so next baffle will fit flush. Can also see the thickness of the fiberglass...

If you arent farmiliar, prefab boxes for rams like fox acoustics, come with spacers in order to raise the back seat. No way im getting a diyma 12 in thee without some help

It was determined that i would end up with 3 baffles of thickness and will have to raise back seat about 3/4".

Seems like I finally got somewhere...

Measured and measured again, I knew it would be close and I feel I got it close as it would get....and fit was TIIIIIIIGGGHT!!! U can see this pic where sub is about 1/8" off baffle.

Nothing a rubber gasket can't fix.

Now to start on beauty panel... Still waiting for lexan to come in so could only do so much. Gonna stay a secret until then.

Routered back so it sits flush with speaker and top baffle

Pretty damn close...

Boogered up one little spot, gonna hit that part with a 1/2" rounded router bit and hopefully it will clean it up

at this point, i was aiting for lexan and carpet to come in before i could go any further with the box. My plan was to cram the Iridiums in the doors while I waited.

Stay tuned!!

·
Registered
950 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK, at this point i actually did get the DLS 8"s in the doors. I was so pre-occupied with squeezing big ass speakers into little spaces, my dumb ass didnt realize the iridium mids wouldnt fit in my dash. I guess it would have been a good idea to to take the 20 seconds to pop the grill off and see what i was working with. So heres what i got...

Nothing optimal about any part of that so I turned to my DIYMA brethren and picked up a set of HAT L3s to take their place. :rockit:

OK back to the sub enclosure...

Once sub was installed, even with rubber gasket, i was scared it wasnt sealed tight and i was right. I could hear air pouring out from around the sub. So I made a 1/8" MDF spacer

Now were rockin, time to make it look good...

"Amp Rack" i guess you can call it, will basically mirror the side the sub is on once its done.

Sqaures are deadener I cut the same size as the amps to see how i will arrange them. will most likely trim the front lip a little and put them side by side like in the pic above.

To give you all an idea where im going with the sub box and amp rack, you can kinda seeing it coming together...

·
Registered
133 Posts
Hey brad knob I read this on the other forum from a link you had on here. Really nice build I am quite intrigued b those jbl amps so small and feature packed, anyway great work particularly on that box. Ben

·
Registered
950 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK, this is where I start getting in over my head. Thats how we learn anyway right? This will be no Simplicity in sound or Robolop build. Just a regular dude testing his hand, in his garage, on a few things hes never done before.

All criticism is welcome...

I mentioned lexan and LEDs, this is where it all starts to come together. What i did, after making all the baffles and beauty panels, i routered the underside of the outermost baffle and rough cut some lexan that will slide in between with LEDS behind it.

like so...

Somewhere about here I went full retard with a router, not even sure what happened but this wound up being baffle 1 of about 3

I completed the top of the amp side and rounded the edges. U see the lexan is doesnt fit. I will use a flush bit to take care of that a little down the road

Heres how its all gonna fit in the truck

·
Registered
950 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey brad knob I read this on the other forum from a link you had on here. Really nice build I am quite intrigued b those jbl amps so small and feature packed, anyway great work particularly on that box. Ben

Thanks man. Once i posted the link in my review thread, I had quite a few inquiries about it so i figured id move it here. Trying to get the boring stuff out the way:D

·
Registered
133 Posts
I actually think this is the exciting stuff. I love the router work. I am just imagining how much saw dust was spread throughout your shed.

·
Registered
161 Posts
You're a beast with the router...it'll look pretty slick wrapped with the LEDS all installed.

Sent from under your mom's bed

·
Registered
536 Posts
I think most of us dream for a garage space that big. Subwoofer box is coming along nicely.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
161 Posts
Looking at that garage pic....my wife would lose her mind. TOTALLY worth it for an awesome install.

·
Registered
950 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Looking at that garage pic....my wife would lose her mind. TOTALLY worth it for an awesome install.

lol thanks. I had 2 projects for buddies also going on at the time so no point in cleaning it if it's just gonna look like that the next day

That's where having a shop vac that doubles as a blower is great.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

I have a gas blower to help me clean up, neighbors love me

·
Registered
950 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok, now that I knew everything fit and pieced together pretty well, the next order of business was to cut the holes for the amps. for some reason this was kind of a pain in my a$$. I think because of the weird shape and angles of the whole enclosure it always looked crooked as hell. I decided to use the legs of the seats as a guide. If the factory is crooked then so am I. I turned to the trusty coard board as a template.

Transferred to the wood... looks crooked as $hit but trust in the almighty coardboard

well measure 12454 times...cut once and cross fingers

Hot damn. Works for me!

Now on to the beauty panel for the sub...

·
Registered
161 Posts
Looks a little off on the......just kidding. Awesome work can't wait to see it all done and lit up

·
Registered
950 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The beauty panel for the sub has been the thorn in my side for the whole thing. Routered the wrong side once, Mis calculated hole and cut it too far left. Dumb $hit like that. 3rd times the charm right?

This one was perfect then the last hole I had to round over.... It happened again

Not sure what happened but I should be able to sand and blend that in later fck it. Ill make this one work...

Round over and flushed

Transfer the shape to the lexan...

Yea, free handed underneath... dont hate

Still fits

Now that sub box and amp rack is built and fits, I'm going to touch up some rough edges that have been bothering me. Stuff that I won't let slide after all this work, not gonna half ass anything. First was the gap in the amp rack between wood and lexan. This area is the first thing you see when you when u look in the door so it must be fixed.

I don't want screws to be visible...

Carpeted to see how much it will fill the gap, hard to see in pic but it's still there.

Now u can really see it

Nothing a little dynaglass won't fix

Now this I can work with...

·
Registered
950 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Been busy lately, guess ill keep this thread goin...

In real time I had exchanged the DLS mids with the HAT L3s in the dash Re did the doors to fit the bigger Morel Mw220 (from the hor deals thread on here) but ill show that all after the sub box and amp rack and try to get caught up to were im actually at in the build

Enough of that...Im ready to get this box and amp rack over with. Heres how I left it... Sub box with dynaglass to smooth and also to fix that little router Eff up...

not perfect yet but better

Amp rack carpeted, primed, and lexan hit up with lens tint. Not happy with it at the moment...

First off, the lexan cracked and didnt fit flush enough in some spots so i cut a new peice...

then some dynaglass to make the fit tight...

Next i stapled the LED strip to the underside of amp rack cover. Not sure if i ever showed it but i routed the edges for lexan to fit under it...

Damn near impossible to get a decent pi in the dark...

Amp rack is basically done. Im waiting for suede to come in to cover the top and thats a wrap. Now the sub box.

Heres the mock up of the center piece that will be carpeted to break up all the surface area of all this when its done.

Flushed and rounded

Never thought i had it in me to make all this $hit fit together nicely... the box, baffle, lexan, and divider... Not too bad

Carpet time! This part always makes me excited bc u know its getting close.

test fit it all all to make sure i didnt F up somewhere along the way...

Worst pics ever in 3...2...1...

And how it all fits together...

Now all that is left is finish up both beauty panels. Sand a little. Attach LEDs to sub side. Glue in neo magnets to hold em all on tight. Then wait for suede to arrive and cover them. oh yea and wire up LEDs.

·
Registered
950 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Some better quality pics of where I left off...

As u can see, I need to sand down the edges that were dynaglassed...

Later that evening suede was delivered and panels wrapped...

I think.

One of the didnt come out so great but im gonna wait til day light to see how it looks.

Heres the charcoal suede from syfabrics.com. $9 a yard, couldnt pass it up. so i bought 3 yards just in case i Effed up. I really like the look/quality of it.

Cut to size. Shouldnt have done the most difficult side first but live and learn.

stress cuts for the holes...

Had a super fantastic awesome idea to cut wood that would be screwed into the holes to press the fabric to the sides to hold it until the glue dried...

But stupid idea was stupid and just ripped the fabric too far. U can see it here. Hopefully the amps will cover that and it wont be noticable. But i will just do it over if i have to.

Was pretty difficult to get in the cornerers. Will see how bad it looks tomorrow in the light...

And some more $hitty night pics...

Amps are a little crooked bc i was going to wait until the panel was done before a scrfewed them down

On to sub side...

wait for it......

ooohhhh...

ahhh...

(still gotta clean up the wires back there)

AAAAnd thats the best i could do in the dark. The wires you see back there are the wires for the LEDs. I need to figure out how im gonna hook those up. Prob tap into dome light. I need to cut the fabric under the panel in a few spots so they sit flush.

Day shots...

a few day shots...

·
Registered
950 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
and of course, the night shots...

Bright as fawk, at this point i ordered a dimmer switch.

Through the window...

Nothings getting lost in this bish...

·
Registered
309 Posts
Very, very nice Brad. I picked up a 2014 at the end of May with the Alpine. I have to deal with the Factory HU, so it will be non-trivial. I am reading everything I can. Not sure I have your "mad skills" to do the same sort of sub box.

1 - 20 of 254 Posts