DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All,

Nearly done with the build, and will have some pics after this weekend, but thought I'd get the thread started and post some initial feedback on the gear I selected. Vehicle is a 2012 Tundra DC, originally with the non-JBL system. Decided not to run rear-fill, and go with a 3-way active (subs, mids, and tweets). Equipment breakdown is as follows:

HU - Alpine INE-S920HD
Processor - Helix DSP
Amp - Alpine PDX-5
Front Stage - Hybrid Audio Clarus C61 comp set
Sub Stage - 2 x Hybrid Audio I8SW

Ended up ordering all my cable from KnuKonceptz. Went with the Kyrstal RCAs, 16 awg karma speaker cable to the comp set, and 12 awg karma for the subs. Also bought their 4 awg OFC for the amp power wire. No complaints at all so far about the quality of their cables.

I pulled almost everything out of the cab and laid down sound dampener from front to rear, and also put some on the roof. In addition, i put sound dampener on both the inner and outer door skins, and covered up any holes in the doors. As mentioned, I'm running all active with the processor. I set the crossover points at the defaults for the tweets and mids per HAT as my starting point (L/R 5200 Hz with 12dB slope). For the mid, I cut that off at 80Hz at the bottom to start with. I don't have the subs in the truck yet (will be going in this weekend), but plan on starting those at 80Hz as well.Subs will be in a ~1.3 cu ft down-firing vented box tuned to 35Hz. placed under the rear seats.

First listening impressions are very positive. Setup my initial time alignment, and did some very basic EQ'ing by ear to adjust a few bands and levels based on ear. Will be using an RTA in there for fine tuning. Not sure if the PDX-5 will be my long-term amp, but I got it at a price too hard to beat, and it really doesn't sound too bad at all. The HAT Clarus speakers sound very, very nice right off the bat, and I know they're only going to get better. Great detail and accuracy so far, and I don't hear a sacrifice in quality or accuracy as I turn up the volume. I mounted the mids in the default door location (used 1" HDPE to make the speaker bracket), and put the tweets in the sail panels.

I'll keep updating this as I progress with it. This is my first install in about 8 years, and has certainly re-activated the car audio bug with me. Special thanks to SyracuseCustoms. I stopped in while I was in CNY to check out some stuff and ended up picking up the comps and subs, and then had them ship me the Helix processor the next week. These guys were awesome to deal with. I know they're active on the forums, and I wouldn't hesitate to buy something from them again.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
So just finished putting the last pieces of the truck back together about 20 min ago. Put the subs in a couple nights ago. The HAT subs sound great, btw. Plenty of punch; clean and accurate. Very happy with them so far.

I ended up grabbing a measurement mic and used Praxis to take some measurements this afternoon to start EQ'ing. I'd say certainly a noticeable difference after dialing in the TA and the EQ. Definitely sounds a little smoother through the spectrum, but I guess that's the point. I think I'd like to work on raising the image a little bit still, but it certainly sounds centered at this point.

Anyway, onto the pics.

Alpine INE-S920HD - mounted the mic in the factory location for bluetooth, and the GPS antenna under the grill for the center speaker (which isn't installed in my Tundra)

The rest of the gear waiting to be installed:

As I mentioned, I put the tweeters in the sail panel. I'm liking them in this location so far.

I mounted the amp and the processor behind the rear seat. I also did the fold down mod seat for the Tundra DCs so that I can get to the gear for fine tuning if needed.

Here is the box I mounted the subs in. Fits great under the seat, and sounds really nice so far. As mentioned, it's ~1.3 cu ft tuned to 35 hz, and downfires. Originally I was going to top mount the subs, but a miscalculation on my part resulted in me needing to make a mounting ring to offset the subs deeper into the box. As a result, I cut out some squares behind the speaker magnets to make sure there was some room behind the magnet for the pole vents. Being it's all hidden under the seat anyway, I wasn't too concerned with this approach.

Under the seat:

Yes, my floor mats need to be cleaned, and yes, I suck at carpeting speaker boxes, but the black carpet I used blends in pretty well with the dark gray in the truck. Certainly not as noticeable when there isn't camera flash on it.

All in all, very happy with the gear and the install so far. I'll keep on with the fine tuning, but it really sounds great so far. I can't say enough good things about the Clarus comp set. Pleased with the ease of use with the Helix DSP as well. Pretty straight forward, but does the job well.

·
Registered
889 Posts
All in all, very happy with the gear and the install so far. I'll keep on with the fine tuning, but it really sounds great so far. I can't say enough good things about the Clarus comp set. Pleased with the ease of use with the Helix DSP as well. Pretty straight forward, but does the job well.
^^^ this is all that matters! :D. Good job!!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: 2012 Tundra DC Build - Simple SQ

Couple of updates, although this thread isn't getting much traffic.

1. Changed out the PDX-5 for a 2nd gen PDX-V9. I know this makes me sound like a PDX fanboy, but the reality is I have just found a couple good deals. Long term amp? Again, we will see, but this latest amp doesn't have as much noise, and whether real or perceived, just sounded a little warmer and more natural. I am appreciating the extra headroom with the amp, especially on the subs.

2. Messed with some of the crossover points between the mids and subs. I found on some songs I liked them crossed around 63 Hz, but on others I thought it blended better crossed at 80. Ended up sticking with 80 as I think that provided the best overall blend.

Possible future changes/improvements:

1. May glass my sail panels to put the tweets a bit more off axis (typical listening preference)
2. May go 3 way active with another pair of Clarus mids
3. Better seal between the door speaker baffle and door panel.

Going to run with the current setup for a while and continue with the tweaking. My happiness with the setup over time will largely dictate if #1 and 2 above become a reality. Need to spend some time messing with the imaging. So far I haven't been thrilled with flipping the phase of a mid 180 deg, but I will keep working on it.

Didn't realize how much I missed car audio until I finished this install, but happy to be back into it!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
how is the output of those 8s? :) i like your choice of equipment, looks great!
Thanks for the feedback. I actually like the subs a lot so far. They hold their own nicely in the setup. They can hit surprisingly hard if you want them to (at least surprising in my mind for 8s), but I like them because they are accurate. Keep up well with the music and don't hear any slop in the response. I was originally looking at the Hertz Energy 8s, but couldn't pass up the $300 with tax I paid for this pair of subs from an authorized HAT dealer. Just happened to hit them while trying to clear out some inventory. No complaints on these subs.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Do you really notice the added power from the amp swap? I have the same setup and was thinking about getting the V9.
Definitely noticed it on the sub channel. That is the most evident thing to me. Having a little more headroom on the main channels allowed me to keep the gains a tad lower, which helps keep noise to a minimum. If you can get a v9 at a good price used, may be worth a try, but if you are already running a PDX-5, id say it's not worth the price of a new PDX-V9 to swap, IMHO.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks fcarpio! These Tundra are awesome trucks, but the stock system was killing me. I figured it was about time to make some changes. Lots of good info and ideas on some of the tundra forums. Will prob work on some aesthetic improvements this winter. It was hot as sh*t installing this time of year here in AZ, so I was ready to be done when I was putting everything back in.

How do you like the bit ten? Almost went with that before I got the Helix, but was worried about having to upgrade if I decide to go to a 3 way active front stage.

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
Thanks fcarpio! These Tundra are awesome trucks, but the stock system was killing me. I figured it was about time to make some changes. Lots of good info and ideas on some of the tundra forums. Will prob work on some aesthetic improvements this winter. It was hot as sh*t installing this time of year here in AZ, so I was ready to be done when I was putting everything back in.

How do you like the bit ten? Almost went with that before I got the Helix, but was worried about having to upgrade if I decide to go to a 3 way active front stage.
The Bit Ten is nice, not a bad unit at all but I do miss my MiniDSP. The MiniDSP does EVERYTHING the Bit Ten does and much more, plus it has a parametric EQ that would be handy for my tuning sessions. I wanted to get a "simple" system for the Tundra, but letting my MiniDSP go was a mistake.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

2. Messed with some of the crossover points between the mids and subs. I found on some songs I liked them crossed around 63 Hz, but on others I thought it blended better crossed at 80. Ended up sticking with 80 as I think that provided the best overall blend.

Did some more tuning yesterday morning since I had a little bit of free time. Played with the crossover points between the mids and subs again. I thought I was happy with 80, but in the name of experimentation, wanted to mess around a bit and see what I could figure out.

After this second round of tweaking, 63Hz is where I settled, and it sounds a lot better IMHO (which is really what matters in this case). When I was crossed at 80, the sub was still playing high enough that my ears could start to locate where it was coming from. Some frequencies just sounded unpleasant, and it ruined the image. I played around with diff slopes and frequencies in between, but after some critical listening at 63 hz with 24db slope, very happy. Blending quite a bit better with the front stage here.

Where have you guys had luck with your crossover points between mids and subs?

·
Registered
2,914 Posts

Did some more tuning yesterday morning since I had a little bit of free time. Played with the crossover points between the mids and subs again. I thought I was happy with 80, but in the name of experimentation, wanted to mess around a bit and see what I could figure out.

After this second round of tweaking, 63Hz is where I settled, and it sounds a lot better IMHO (which is really what matters in this case). When I was crossed at 80, the sub was still playing high enough that my ears could start to locate where it was coming from. Some frequencies just sounded unpleasant, and it ruined the image. I played around with diff slopes and frequencies in between, but after some critical listening at 63 hz with 24db slope, very happy. Blending quite a bit better with the front stage here.

Where have you guys had luck with your crossover points between mids and subs?
I have mine at 45Hz, I like it that way.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts