DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Isn't this how it always goes: build a great system, with man weeks of labor, get it all dialed in then, WHAM...you need a new car. So here I am, 6 months after finishing my Subaru Forester (build log) and it’s time do it all over again. The current subject is my month old 2012 MKVI/MK6 Jetta TDI Sportwagen, which is basically the same thing as a stretched Golf:

There are always silver linings. You learn from mistakes, practice, tuning, listening, rebuilding, swapping equipment, etc. By the next go around, you're ready to get it right. Right?

Lessons learned:
Lesson 1: With a new baby, my fabrication time is severely diminished
Lesson 2: 3-way active – there’s no going back
Lesson 3: I need more power!
Lesson 4: Hybrid Audio kicks ass
Lesson 5: JL subs…very good, but not GREAT
Lesson 6: a/d/s amps are nearly sonically perfect, and even a better value given what you pay for them
Lesson 7: The MS-8 is a nice piece, plus it’s basically free for all of the time it saves me​

So without further ado, here's the manifest, goodies and diagram:

Description: 3-way active front stage w/ center channel and single sub. No rear fill.
Head unit…Stock (for now – want to keep wheel, and phone integration)
Processor: JBL MS-8

Amplifiers:
  • 1 - a/d/s PH15, bridged @ 110 x 3
  • 2 - a/d/s PH20, bridged @ 150 x 2
  • 1 - JL G1700 @ 700x1
Drivers:
  • (F) Tweeters – HAT L1Pro
  • (F) Mid – HAT L4SE
  • (F) Midbass – HAT L8v2
  • Center – HAT L3SE
  • Subwoofer – Morel Ultimo 12
Gratuitous goodie shot:

Diagram:

And the build begins, although it’s going to take a while.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I sold my vehicle less than 2 months of outfitting it. Two of the amps never got installed but I'm hanging on to them. Why? I have no f'n idea. I like to buy not sell.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If you're wondering, the build has started. Here's a progression on the enclosure for the sub:

The cavity:

The obligatory tape up:

A little PE sheet for good measure:

More tape:

We have glass!

Free at last...

BTW, "interference fit" doesn't even begin to describe the glove tight, perfect fit of this box. This enclosure won't even need fasteners to hold it in place; I could go over the Rubicon at full tilt and not break that sucker free, yet with the right technique, out it comes. AWESOME.

I've since built the enclosure up to add some inside thickness and rigidity, but there are enough plane breaks that this sucker is inherently very stiff. I'll eventually cover the inside with Raam mat or some other resonance control surface, as well as matting to disperse standing waves. Stiffness is not my main concern, though (yeah, yeah "that's what she said").

The problem: I measured out the volume of the enclosure and unfortunately, with a flush panel, it only comes out to 19L or .67 cu/ft. Subtract the .7L for the driver volume, you are looking at a small enclosure thats perfect for a JL 8w3v3, but .25 cu/ft short of the smallest measure in the optimal range for a Morel Ultimo 12". As they say, all problems can be solved given time and creativity. :)

But that's a post for another day.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
More coming soon

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Just have the enclosure come out into the cargo area a bit to get the volume. It will be worth it to get the right volume. I compromised on the volume for my IDQ10v3 and wish I hadn't.

·
Registered
701 Posts
I thought there weren't going to be making wagons anymore.. Hmm.. Might have to rethink some things.. Any ideas for the exterior? You know us VW/Audi guys can't leave our cars alone..

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I thought there weren't going to be making wagons anymore.. Hmm.. Might have to rethink some things.. Any ideas for the exterior? You know us VW/Audi guys can't leave our cars alone..
Options for me were limited. Needed to be at least as roomy as the Forester and a stick shift was a must. That disqualified Audi...no wagons with manuals in the US. The VW was lucky, as it is much roomier than my wife's '11 A4 sedan. Lack of AWD is compensated for by 35+ mpg in town!

·
Registered
96 Posts
I understand your predicament, I bought a 2011 Jetta and I didn't get to finish the system in my old car.

I'll be watching this build, really interested in the door install and how the integration with the MS-8 goes.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
can the front doors really fit L8's?

I'm still trying to find info if the L6's even fit since they are 7.1"
Yep, stock midbasses/subs are in the doors and are already 8". With spacers, they fit...there's a Golf in this forum somewhere that already has them installed, without issue. The location isn't super, but want to see what they sound like.

The nice thing about this car is that it comes with a factory 3 way (passive) stereo, so it is super easy to get a nice 3 way system in. Factory mids are 4" and the tweeters are either 3/4" or 1". I'll know for sure soon enough. The biggest PIA, like most cars, is drilling the molex plugs in the doors so you can run the wires for 3 way active.

Update: here's the thread, but he actually used 8" Daytons.
http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/build-logs-project-install-gallery/95559-mostly-stealth-mkv-gti-3-way-active-front-false-floor.html

·
Registered
701 Posts
Options for me were limited. Needed to be at least as roomy as the Forester and a stick shift was a must. That disqualified Audi...no wagons with manuals in the US. The VW was lucky, as it is much roomier than my wife's '11 A4 sedan. Lack of AWD is compensated for by 35+ mpg in town!
yeah the no AWD portion is a tough pill to swallow but man, Test drove the 2011 CC 6spd. :eek: Definitely going to follow this..

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
yeah the no AWD portion is a tough pill to swallow but man, Test drove the 2011 CC 6spd. :eek: Definitely going to follow this..
If we didn't already have the Audi, it would have been a deal breaker.

The CC is nice! The 19" "Sagitta" wheel option offers the best looking wheel I've seen this year. If you get one, upgrade!

Gotta give the TDi motor some love, though...it's got seriously torquey balls and is easy to tune up to some silly power numbers. How's 175HP and 285 lb/ft of torque sound from a stage 1 tune? You can crack 200/325 on the stock turbo if you remove one piece of emissions equipment, too.

Ok, back to our regularly schedule broadcast...

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
OK - progress.

It fits! Gotta love the Jasper circle jig:

Preparing the recessed panel with loads of Gorilla Glue:

And there she is - clamped and ready for more work tomorrow:

Tomorrow I'll fit the removable cover panel, which is designed to clear the OEM Morel grill, then hopefully get the enclosure assembled.

·
Registered
8,967 Posts
If we didn't already have the Audi, it would have been a deal breaker.

The CC is nice! The 19" "Sagitta" wheel option offers the best looking wheel I've seen this year. If you get one, upgrade!

Gotta give the TDi motor some love, though...it's got seriously torquey balls and is easy to tune up to some silly power numbers. How's 175HP and 285 lb/ft of torque sound from a stage 1 tune? You can crack 200/325 on the stock turbo if you remove one piece of emissions equipment, too.

Ok, back to our regularly schedule broadcast...
The Helios is the best looking wheel VW has ever made. I had them on my GTI but they look amazing on the CC as well. It was actually seeing them on a Candy White CC that made me want them in the first place.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Off topic for a little, At SOWO last year APR had a really nice looking CC on 19s not sure which wheels but man that was pretty hot, not to mention the goodies APR did to the it.. Definitely looking out for this build.. My kid wants to do the Levenworth drive this year for his senior trip (drive from TN to WA), so maybe I'll get to hear it..

1 - 20 of 58 Posts