Discussion Starter #21
Before of the trunk:

After I decided to stop for the day because I realized I have work:

Making slow progress, I have ~2.5 sheets of knu left

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I ended up sealing the doors with the mound of knuknoise I had left over...
What an insane world of a difference. The entire system as a whole sounds so much better and cleaner.

My next step is to figure out what bloody harness I need for the rear view camera... Maestro instructions were useless, and I don't seem to have the traditional reverse camera harness that I thought I had... Worst case I'll wire in an aftermarket camera although that's a drastic last measure.

Trying to find time to build two sub boxes(stackfab). With the announcement of the SD-4, I'm planning on picking up a second one(under the assumption the sd-3 will drop price to clear inventory). If not, probably the next stage of sound deadening, mlv+ccf or similar.

·
Registered
587 Posts
My next step is to figure out what bloody harness I need for the rear view camera... Maestro instructions were useless, and I don't seem to have the traditional reverse camera harness that I thought I had... Worst case I'll wire in an aftermarket camera although that's a drastic last measure.
Did you get the Maestro RR?

If so, here are the instructions for your car. Let me know if you need help. It’s easy to get frustrated, but overall it’s an easy process.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Hi Chris,
I do have the maestro. I actually have the factory screen, and my instructions say to splice in. However, the harness that I have, the pins are on the right side, not the left as maestro claims. I tried splicing in using posi-taps to no avail

·
Registered
587 Posts
Hi Chris,
I do have the maestro. I actually have the factory screen, and my instructions say to splice in. However, the harness that I have, the pins are on the right side, not the left as maestro claims. I tried splicing in using posi-taps to no avail
Very weird, sorry to hear you’re having trouble.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Yeah, I've no clue what to do, and plan to call/chat maestro/crutch for an answer at some point this week.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Well,
Maestro hasn't given me a full answer, and email coms died, going to have to call them after the long weekend...
I did use up the last of my knu on the rear deck in an attempt to stop an annoying rattle back there.

Put some on the third brake light and some tesa tape to help with the rattle.

A quick test didn't have any rattles, so hopefully this helps/fixes the problem.

With second skins weekend sale, I might grab some LLP, unsure of how much I'll need for the doors as of right now...

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Quick Update:
I followed sk's guide and finally tesa taped the door clips and the window controls in an attempt to shut down some rattling i have...
spoiler alert: it didn't fix the specific rattle I was aiming to stop, but it helped some others :p

I also spent about 2 hours with maestro a while back and determined that my maestro is faulty.. haven't had a chance to swap it out since mine and my friend's schedule haven't matched up lately.

Also... my sd-3 is on the chopping block- going for a sub that'll give me the bass I'm looking for.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
A new month marks new poor financial decisions...
I ordered a 12" backstock brahma... Hopefully I'll be able to mock something for the enclosure up next week.

I also ordered replacement door clips from ebay. I believe I snagged the link from either truthhunter's or Chris12's thread but I'll repost here as well.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/20x-Door-panel-Clips-For-Toyota-Avalon-Camry-Corolla-67773-0E020/401649506877?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

If anyone has a link for a small RCA bass knob it would greatly be appreciated. I've yet to find one to replace the one I had on the 3sixty.1, it was small and able to fit perfectly under the blank spots I had.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
6 Months later the Brahma is in.
I thought this stay at home would be good to work on the car, and snagged a refurb DSP-408 to go full active.After a weekend of mulling over it.. I'm not 100% wanting to spend all the time to go full active, especially when other components like sound deadening and such as lacking. For now I'll stick with this unless I find a really nice set of speakers for cheap. I like the references but they don't have enough oomph I think.

Edit: I don't have photos of the brahma. I ended up just buying a zenclosures box since it was damn closed to the sealed recommended airspace and I didn't have the energy/time to glass like I thought I would.

What I 100% for sure will be doing is the big 3 from wireandsupply, I just need to double check cable lengths and lug sizes... anyone happen to have that info offhand?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
I took this picture just now, and yes it looks like a shitshow but I was pulling the amp out to sell it with the SD-3. Although as I'm writing this the person has ghosted me... one of many. I left the rears disconnected for a bit due to insane rattle. I honestly do prefer the "club sound" with the rears in, so they're plugged in. Now I've got some time to figure out all the rattles...

There's some RTV there on the sub.. Ashamed to say I did smash a small hole thru the surround, and ended up using Ultra Black 5000(or whichever number) and it's been holding up so far nicely... still hurts me badly to think about it.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
I made a few purchases today:
-0/1 to upgrade the battery/chassis ground and the run to the distroblock. Currently it's just 4awg and I don't think that'll hold up very well to the brahma and the fronts
-Backstraps to make a better amp rack, along with a rivnut insert tool - also something better for the main fuse at the battery
-Some Parts Express CLD just to mess around and toss on the front speaker plastic brackets
-Speaker grill reccomended by Adire(just the 12" bars type from PE)
-CCF/Speaker gasket to quell rattles

Just finishing up the loose ends/partial hackjobs I did. I have my eyes on a set of the open box Kappa 600s on sonic but that'll be out of the question right now. Also ended up selling my bynnies after some thought since I'm not entirely sure what I can do for the rattles at this point and I won't be having any passengers anytime soon. This plus a new NAS build should be fun projects for the next bit.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
quick update: got the 1/0 awg wiring, lugs, techflex, and CCF...

On another note, is it bad that I want to redo the CLD on the doors...

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #35 (Edited)
First time playing with techflex - pretty slick stuff.

prolly gonna be another week for me to do the battery ground and alternator -> battery run since there's finals next week and apparently I need a degree for this job... annoying :p

I also need to probably get more wire to replace the 4awg for the distro, I ordered too little.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
While I wait for finals to end- I've been mentally toying with snagging a cheap DSP.3 and two small 4 channels to do a 3 way active and centre... yeah rip budget.

I think more realistically, I'm going to redo the "sealed" doors- replace the CLD with galvanized steel like truthhunter and many others have done, and go over that with CLD again... going to take measurements tomorrow, and mess with the parts express CLD stuff as well.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
First note:
As expected, the P/E CLD sucks hugely. Never again, even to meet the free shipping.

I haven't soldered in a few years, and it especially sucked because I didn't have anything to mount the wire and XT90 in place, but I ended up figuring it out and adding XT90s. I was fine with just the crimped slides on the drivers but they kept on sliding off so I figured might as well go for broke.

Added speaker gasket everywhere

And yes, I ended up redoing that negative wire and properly heatshrinking it.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Did you do the power/ground wire yet? Just last week I crimped my first cables with a hammer crimping tool and freaking loved how the cables came out. 1/0 gauge EVERYWHERE. Super impressed with the quality of cable a novice like myself could make. I’ll never buy a factory replacement battery cable again.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Just the engine ground for now. I got set screw terminals for my 0/1. I think next week I'll start the battery ground and possibly the alternator -> battery, but I need to buy a fuse holder/fuse for that as well.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Also, I placed a bid on a DSP.3 on ebay and won that somehow so... I guess we're going full active.

Kinda regret installing that XT90 now since I have to rewire everything... ah well.

21 - 40 of 67 Posts