DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

41 - 60 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Galvanized steel and snips came in today- thinking of sealing up the doors tomorrow.
It's going to be a one-task a day thing- despite finally finishing my undergrad I'm in study groups for some certifications before I start working- eking out whatever perks of the edu email I have for now.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #42 (Edited)
I learned today that trying to seal doors up after running CLD is a PITA and should never be done..
I guess I never got taught how to have common sense.

I got this far into the shit show before I gave up and angrily went inside

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #43 (Edited)
~~I'm in the debate of grabbing two 4 channel mini amps and keeping them under the seats, or rerunning all of my wiring and mounting everything to the back seat w/ the taramps... My main concern I guess is running so much damn wire to the front. Anyone reading this have any thoughts?~~

Just said screw it, gonna do it right. Moving everything to the back.

·
Listener of Music
3,330 Posts
What happened with the Dayton DSP?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #46 (Edited)
I didn't use it due to some other things going on at the time, and the noise issues I kept on hearing about kind of threw me off. I also knew I would want a Helix or similar high end DSP soon enough... As it stands, when I returned it, someone on the CarAV discord bought another restock unit(mine was also restock) and said he had noise issues... might have dodged a bullet, might not have.

"I thought this stay at home would be good to work on the car, and snagged a refurb DSP-408 to go full active.After a weekend of mulling over it.. I'm not 100% wanting to spend all the time to go full active, especially when other components like sound deadening and such as lacking. "

I was going thru some mental funk I guess, considering I got a DSP.3... still am..

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
So I got my battery ground done. I'm using high temp tesa tape for now but plan to get heatshrink whenever it makes it to my house. I had to shave off a little on one terminal so it would sit flush with the negative terminal.

I do plan on using traditional crimp style ends for everything else- have those and a temco hammer crimper on the way, but I went lazy here. kinda regretting it but whatever, lessons learned.

·
Registered
170 Posts
The hammer crimped is awesome, I just made a bunch of cables with it for the first time. Just plan your lengths as you’ll need to do the crimping outside of the vehicle more than likely.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
yep, that's why I'm holding off on everything for now- that's not in... along with the rest of the wiring I ordered... or the fuses.. or the DSP since fedex is holding onto it.. oh well

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
I finally did things today, mainly tearing out all the old wiring so nothing photo noteworthy.. Although, I'm starting to wonder how I am going to run speaker wire up to the front, as the krystal RCAs are.. fat and take up a lot of space on the left side of the car, and the 1/0 will take up the right side...

I have new lugs in the garage and will hopefully finally get the alternator positive wire run at the very least.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
So I have underestimated how large the bassik 1/0 fuse holders are, and am trying to scheme up mounting ideas or using some other fuse holder all together.

Originally I made this Z-Bracket to hold one of them:

I think this might be too weak and a bad idea.. The other would go on the other side of the airbox... Looking at other options right now but struggling to think of something for two 1/0 runs- One for the alternator(big 3) and one for the amps.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #52 (Edited)
Hi all,
I am back with MUCH less Jank and something that actually looks professional(imo). I originally actually made a test bracket with some 26gauge steel, but realized it was too flimsy, so I got some 1/8" ABS and dremeled out a slightly modified shape. This is held underneath the plastic cover with some factory locations.

I will take a quick aside to remind anyone reading this to wear PPE when using any kind of power tool. I had a cutting wheel snap and shoot across the garage and hit(I think) one of the garage door rails. Def scary stuff.

And yes, I know the tape on that negative lug is fubard
There's another 1/0 fuse holder on the bottom as well.

hammer crimper is pretty bitching as well. Will hopefully have the upgraded alternator wire in Monday.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Nice install!

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
Thank you - Someone pointed my attention to the lil bit of ABS sticking out by the battery bracket- will be sanding that off come Monday.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
"Like a glove"

Really wish I could have thought of a better way to run this, but I had already lugged and heatshrinked the one side. Use zip ties and flush cuts. It's not hitting hoses anywhere, and won't as far as I can see given how stiff the wire is(regretting not just getting knu) and where It's zipties.

EDIT: on second thought I will probably finesse the cable a bit more tomorrow.

I ended up making a large gash in my pinkie finger when tightening the alternator terminal bolt, which ended any work that might have done today with a stream of curses.

·
Registered
581 Posts
I just ordered a 250 amp alternator. I finished my install last Thursday. My car almost didn't start when I left work this evening.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
Yeah, hopefully I won't need an HO alt but I probably will soon lol. 100a is not cutting it. The factory wire is something like 6 awg so this should help a little I hope...

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
So I hit a small snag, and ended up finally replacing the positive terminal with the bassik ones I bought long ago. The factory one was rusty, and I originally thought the bolt that holds it together had snapped - but I came back this morning to it and it opened fine... whatever.

I bought an OEM one just in case I couldn't use the bassik one, and here's a quick side by side.

I had to do a little bending of the stock stuff to get the tabs out of the way.

And where it sits right now:

Ran out of heatshrink so I ordered more... amateur hour over here it seems. I'm taking my sweet time with this build, not doing too much work daily but atleast something is getting done- the big 3 is officially complete.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
Alright so-
Got my HDPE in, and ran the 1/0 down to the back. Work is gonna be even slower since I got a steroid injection in my left knee this week, and my right is upcoming in a few days.
Passenger side grommet as always. This photo doesn't show it, because I was too pissed to take a photo, but I used the factory extra spot and... made it work.

Fucked my hand up doing this again. POS fucking wire.

"Like a glove"

41 - 60 of 67 Posts