So I have some new things planned... the PPi is getting replaced with something... bigger.. and I have some midranges on the way from partsexpress. I'm waiting for all of that before I come back to the amp rack. For now, I've just ran some speaker wire up for the drivers' side drivers...
Ran w/ some techflex that was a lil too big but oh well- I strongly prefer this over the non techflexed wires I ran last friday.
Did some heatshrink on one end, the other is on the amp end and that will need to be trimmed a bit anyways so not doing much for that end right now. This wasn't 3:1 like I for some reason thought but it works well enough..
Ran the speaker wire for both sides- didn't take a photo of the passenger side run but it's basically identical... Also got one of the new toys- JL XD 600/6V2. I'm waiting on the other distro from Knu before I get to wiring the amp rack up. I have a new piece of HDPE that I'll be using.
Quickly did the wiring. Not too happy with both the parts express heatshrink it, as it was 2:1 and not the 3:1 I thought, and the ruined techflex on two of the cables, although that's my fault for the most part as I didn't take enough caution. Lessons learned for next time.
Right so I've gotten... basically no good pictures, but I did a fair bit of work today:
-Wired power, ground, and remote for everything - amps and helix
The distros are under the rear bench in a divot where it's pinned in place by the sheet and held with some template tape while I make up something out of 1/8" HDPE I have laying around... or maybe it was 1/4". I ran out of techflex for the smaller wires, patience, and my knees started killing me so I didn't get much more done.
Ended up deciding the Helix would go here because I didn't have space behind the carpet on the left side like I thought... also.. no patience left:
Rough cut of some leftover ABS- I'll clean it up with the flush bit next week when I permanently mount it- this was just to get the wiring all done.
1) The different krystal RCAs(v2 and v3) annoy me greatly but uh... Krystal RCAs are expensive.
2) Yeah I know my heatshrink isn't even but that was the last thing done today and I wanted another coffee.
I ended up with a 200 amp alternator. The seller of the 250 amp alternator was playing games on Ebay and Walmart.com. Geez, I didn't take any pics of the installation and updated battery wiring. Nice work guy!
So I actually lived up to my word for once.
Yesterday I DID get stuff playing, abet only the right side. This was due to a mix of poor connections(because I rushed) and a mixed pair of RCAs. I sorted that all out today. I'm faced with the conundrum of having my driver's side MUCH lower in volume. Not sure what happened/is happening. Between the heat and morning tranings at work, I won't have much time the next two weeks to mess with this, but atleast it plays. Between going from passive 2-way to active 3-way, even without EQ, the midrange and highs sound so much clearer. I can't(but will have to) wait to get this EQd up.
Haven't had much time lately due to early morning trainings- I'm having a wierd issue with the left side cutting out and still haven't traced it down. I replaced all the RCAs from the Helix to the amps with some 6 foot Stinger ones, and completely rewired the left side but it's still funky, and I'm suspecting a loose RCA at the headunit since it only cuts out over bumps... Today atleast, I got some pink noise playing and took some measurements. California is hot as balls so I probably won't do any EQ until Monday Morning when it's somewhat tolerable out.
My tweeters are also hissing(they're the only ones to do so) so I have some 1" Daytons sitting in a box... Those should get installed some day...
So I clearly still don't really know what the hell I'm doing 100%- I've watched SkiZeR's auto EQ video and skimmed through Andy's Tuning guide and the videos by Kyle Ragsdale on youtube, but todays.. rushed attempt still yielded great results(I would like to think anyways). I'm having the issue with a sharp drop at 20Khz, and I'm not sure of any fix for that yet, and you can see the Helix freaking the hell out about that in the screenshots below.
NOTE: Imgur was being pissy with me uploading things, so I attached them directly to the post
OK so that last post got fubard, I'll try to fix it after I finish writing this one. I spent more time with the auto-EQ and played around with various movements of the mic- I've seen SkiZeRs version of making smaller circles around an ear for a few moments before swapping to the other, as well as waving it around both ears in a semi-circle. I ended up doing the process three times today, and made a few core changes:
-Fixed the right side midrange crossover, which was low-passed rather than band-passed
-Dropped the crossover between midrange and tweeter from 3500Hz to 3000Hz
-Changed the midbass and sub crossover from 100Hz to 80Hz and 60Hz, respectively, after reading some of Andy Wehmeyer's(wow I spelled it right for once) posts.
-Fixed the bodged time alignment from the Helix Auto-TA. I only just noticed that it had only done two out of the six up-front drivers and ignored the subwoofer.
This is my new left(orangey-bronze) versus right(blue) at 1/12 scaling.