DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey all, been out of car audio for about a year when I got my new truck and got rid of my Taurus. One cold ass long winter and 18,000 miles later I couldn't take it any more. Still had some door speakers left over but got a few things.
Head unit: Factory
Processor: JL Audio Cleansweep
Front: Hertz HL165L & JL Audio C5 Tweeters
Rear: Hertz HCX 165 Coax
Subs: Soundqubed HDS208
Amp: Currently just a JL JX 360/4. Will be getting a SQ1200 when they come back in stock, not sure about the 4 channel yet. Most is installed so on to the pics!

The Truck

Rear Doors

Front Doors

How the amp and Cleansweep sit right now. Will be cleaning this up once I get the monoblock.

And just got the sub Wednesday. Here it is next to a DC M2 8

And some shots of it.

So this was supposed to be the box design

And started it Friday

Almost all together and my measurements were off in Sketchup.. the sub didn't fit, its ass was too big :toetap: so it got pulled out of the box. Didn't like it at all but all said and done I think I like how it looks.

Test fit

Flared the port

Trying to not make it stick out like a soar thumb

And on to having the box done.

Currently running the sub bridged off the rear channels of the JX360/4 for 180 watts and its doing pretty good, was going to go with a 750.1 for the sub but I'm just going to wait for the 1200s to come back in stock and give it hell. Nothing special but I'm happy with it, sounds like a low 130s already and plays pretty good from 29-45 with the power it has. Currently tuned to 36 I believe but I have another 3 foot tube to play with once I get more power to see how it acts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4tljcMhwXM&list=UUVTijCHlpZ5uISxv3ZR88YQ
Video won't embed..

That's all for now. Future plans are Hertz HT28 tweeter and XL Mids. Wish I never got rid of my last set but will be buying more.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Looks good. I have a 2013 XLT in Green Gem Metallic. What's your opinion of the sub? I removed my jump seat and have a JL 10W6V3 in a ported HO box. Sounds good but I would like to build a console that blends better with the interior.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So far I really like it, last real setup I had was two Hertz HX 250s off a Audison 5.1 so SQ wise I cant really say yet with the limited power I have but it sounds really clean so far, haven't set my mind on tuning yet but at 36hz right now it seems to be doing ok, falls off in the mid 40s but I'm hoping with more power it gets it going a little better. Does great on Avenged Sevenfold which has some really quick kick drums and bass guitar, does amazing on rap and pop in the 30-40hz range. Kongos song With Me Now sounds really good. Undecided til I get power to see how it does but it was a huge improvement over the DC M2 8 I had laying around.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
See the post above yours ;)

Here's a pic without all the dog hair, when you have two saint bernards the hair just ends up where it wants.

The sub doesn't fit straight up and down (Hence the logo being sideways, I think I'm going to flip it so both logos are the same direction.)

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys. I ended up leaving them in the factory position. They were the only tweets I found to fit without cutting or trimming factory panels, but I'll end up going back to Hertz when the funds are available.

I still need to make a mounting ring for the port. Currently it still stick out of the box, probably within a week or two I'll fab something up out of fiberglass or bondo to look similar to the speakers mount.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Got this little guy today and sadly I don't think I will be able to install it until next week :(

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, I've got some tweaking to do. The sub sounds great above tuning but jesus I've never had a sub hit the back plate so easy. Not sure if the shape of the box is affecting something but the subsonic has to be set at or just above tuning or it can't handle it. I don't know my box rise but I highly doubt I'm giving the sub more than rated. Going to mess with the port and and maybe see if shrinking the box helps at all. They actually say on their site it can be ran in 1.25 cubes and I'm only at 1. Might just have to have the port partially external to get it to play how I want it. It really does get down and loud but I have to constantly have my hand on the gain knob with some songs.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, after adjusting the subsonic it's definitely improved. I think the box is just getting the mechanical limits out of the sub, the cone is barley warm after beating the snot out of it through a song. I think the truck is peaking higher than I thought so u might get another PVC pipe and see what happens around 28-29hz. I'm really happy with the output I'm getting, just need to control the cone better.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Cool man. I have one to try out.... Im thinking about one more. I have a SQ2200D laying around... it may be to much power though....

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm still not sure if I'm keeping it. Debating on two Sundown E8s or SD8s. Just wanting a little more output and cone control.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Could you possibly send me the dimensions on your box or list them? Getting ready to do my '14 screw very similar, but down firing. Kids would end up destroying any exposed woofer.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I would like to have the box dimensions as well. I have seen a similar box (Fox or super crew sound) with 2 down firing, ported JL 10w3v2s.... Me likey ;-)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts