DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi-

This is my first post so please be nice as I am not a car audio expert at all and would like some suggestions.

I have a 2013 Jeep Wrangler JKUR with the factory Alpine "premium" audio. I am wanting to do some upgrades but not go crazy as my Jeep is my toy. With the weather being nicer and it now being my toy instead of my daily I have had the top off and noticed that the audio is really lacking. I was planning on leaving everything alone and just changing the speakers, add some sound deadening and just hope for the best. Now as I am starting to do more research and watching YouTube I am learning that technology has come a long way since high school when just adding 2 12" JL subs in my 97' GMC Sierra was enough for me and now it seems there are a ton of plug and play options to make the install much easier.

With that being said I have listed what I have bought below so far. Please be honest but nice and let me know if I am just wasting my time by just adding the speakers, or if I have bought wrong the speakers all together?

Also, I would like to add a little more bass but I am assuming the factory Sub box could not be reused and just add a new sub?

1 par of these in the sound bar

1 pair of these in the front kick panels

1 pair of tweeters for the tombstone pods on the dash.

As far as speakers this is all that I have bought. I have not bought any other wiring other than the adapters to just plug into the factory speaker harness.

I thought about upgrading the HU to this one below, but also like the idea of keeping it simple.

If I go this route I am assuming then an amp would be the way to go. I have considered the following amps if I were to do that.

RP-75.4AB | 500 Watt 4-Channel Car Amplifier
this amp was suggestion by someone. the idea was to run the speakers in parallel down to 2ohm and use 3 of the 4 channels?

this one also wiring down the speakers to 2 ohm parallel to have enough power, then a 5th channel for future sub?

or one of these with either the factory or AM HU. (more money than I really want to spend.)

If I could do it completely how I want the first time I would replace all factory speakers, add a new sub, and add a pair of tower speakers for when the top is off to have plenty of vocals. I really want the least amount of additional wiring and amps as possible just to keep it simple.

As you can see I have went down a rabbit hole and would appreciate some suggestions so that I am not doing this and/or pulling the Jeep apart several times.

Here is a picture of my Jeep for fun.

Tire Wheel Automotive parking light Vehicle Car

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just did a complete upgrade in my 2012 jku. My first advice would be to buy used equipment. People don't really upgrade stereos like they used to so the second hand market only brings a fraction of the new price.

I installed a jl mx500/4 under the steering column, and a jl mx500/1 behind/beside the glove box. For speakers I went with alpine type R components for the front and type R 6.5 coax in the sound bar. The sub is a JL audio 13tw5 v2 stealthbox.

The stereo is a alpine ilx-407 with a maestro unit to keep all the Controls working.

All this stuff is way out of my price range new. But I was able to find it at 50-75% off compared to new. It completely changed the stereo. The non alpine jk stereo is basically unusable. It's that bad.

That's not really adding much but maybe it can give you some ideas. It's a challenge fitting the amps up front under the dash but it really cuts down on the length of power wire runs. There's so much space in a jeep, though it's still a whole different level of easy compared to a small vehicle like a civic or Accord.

·
Registered
20 Posts
FWIW, I'm currently putting together the system in my 2010 JKUS. Currently running:
Pioneer head unit from a previous vehicle- will be the last thing replaced, with an Alpine unit, most likely.
Alpine tweeters in the tombstones
Alpine SPS-610C 6" mids in the dash pods
Jl 12TW3 in a ported 12TW1 enclosure