DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

21 - 40 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
18,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
But I can park a dump truck on my SnapOn box. Well, I could if I had a dump truck. lol

Also, if you've met Nick in person, he does swear a bit. But I don't think most installers/car audio pros even notice. lol

Maybe bleep it for general audiences?

Jay
I did cut out a few in there lol. If you listen around the part where I say the sem paint clogged up (hey, just what you messaged me a out this am lol) you can hear the audio get weird. That would be me covering up me saying "fuckin piece of shit paint" under my breath lol. Also, yes. These guys have clearly never been in a bay haha

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
The skills and talent you and Kevin possess are beyond incredible. You guys appear to whip this stuff up like it’s just another day at work. Wish I had the talent you guys have.

I would agree on the swearing part too. You want to appeal to as many potential high end customers as possible and the cursing only makes any potential customers who may not know you second guess your professionalism. Glad to see you keep the shop and the car clean and you spend the money on good equipment. That’s a big deal in my book.

The mismatched amps in my own pathetic simple build are driving me nuts too, lol.

Also, use a can of brake clean to clean out those clogged pain can tips. Works great for me. I just swap the paint can tips onto the brake clean spray can and flush it out.

·
Registered
18,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
The skills and talent you and Kevin possess are beyond incredible. You guys appear to whip this stuff up like it’s just another day at work. Wish I had the talent you guys have.
Thank you. And kevin does indeed whip this stuff up like its just another day at work. Me, i usually break stuff and take forever and get mad that it takes me forever :laugh:

Also, use a can of brake clean to clean out those clogged pain can tips. Works great for me. I just swap the paint can tips onto the brake clean spray can and flush it out.
the caps arent clogged. The stems are down inside of the can. this is from the texture coat getting bunched up at the bottom and any little bit that gets sucked up that straw gets stuck and the can is toast.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Thanks to you, I stored mine upside down so this doesn't happen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
18,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Thanks to you, I stored mine upside down so this doesn't happen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
plot twist, so were these two lol

·
Registered
298 Posts
Man you are 27. People don't realize how young you are because you've been on here so long. It's very rare to find a 27 yr old that has such a passion for any particular thing and 2 businesses under your belt already. Don't worry about the cursing. If that's your worst habit you'll be just fine. I'd give 2 shits if my installer cursed the whole time installing my system as long as they cared as much as you. And you're a NY'er. I went to NY city recently. Super cool people up there. Completely opposite of how I thought it would be and a spectacular city. Great video, I'm trying to think of some criticisms but can't think of any so far.

·
Registered
18,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Man you are 27. People don't realize how young you are because you've been on here so long. It's very rare to find a 27 yr old that has such a passion for any particular thing and 2 businesses under your belt already. Don't worry about the cursing. If that's your worst habit you'll be just fine. I'd give 2 shits if my installer cursed the whole time installing my system as long as they cared as much as you. And you're a NY'er. I went to NY city recently. Super cool people up there. Completely opposite of how I thought it would be and a spectacular city. Great video, I'm trying to think of some criticisms but can't think of any so far.
Thank you. And man, should have stopped by! We're only a 20 mile train ride away

·
Registered
88 Posts
I like the simplicity of your approach - you outline what you will do, then update along the way with progress or changes to the approach.

You've received some excellent feedback already about lighting, and I'd echo that.

Maybe a final 10 seconds with the system running at the end of the video? Would help bring it all together for the viewer - clearly we won't get the great sound that is actually happening, but its fun to see woofers move and know that it all runs right.

Nice build, great gear, and a nice window into the shop and the people responsible for the cool outcome.

Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Nick, really enjoyed the video. Of course the work and craftsmanship are top notch and far beyond me, however I won't bore you with further nut swinging as there is plenty of that in this thread already. :D

You asked for some feedback, so here's mine:

1.) I'll echo Erin's comment about lighting, it was definitely hard to pick up some of the detail in the sail panels in the final walk through, that should be easy enough to address.

2.) I wasn't concerned with the language. All the comments lead me to believe it would be way worse than it was, but not an issue. I guess depending on your target audience, some could be a little turned off but whatever, doesn't seem like you're hurting for clients. I didn't think it was bad at all, keep it raw!

3.) What are you planning to use for a camera on future videos? I've always thought that the small handheld gimbals are a great way to put videos over the top, and you can even get them for use with your Android/iOS phone. My buddy was shooting some footage in the field for his work, both aerial and ground, and I was amazed at the quality of video he captured with his phone and a drone. I believe he was using offerings from DJI. Just a thought.

4.) I think one thing I would enjoy seeing is more of the 'action' shots of some of the fab work. I know you said this would be coming soon. Maybe even some time lapse of a piece start to finish?

5.) I really liked when you were going through the design of the pods and why you chose the layout/configuration. It's stuff like that that I'm really intrigued by and would be awesome to see continued in future vids.

In any case, keep it up. Seems like you guys have fun and turn out a great product, can't ask for much more than that. I'll see if I can think of anything else.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
I take back what I said about swearing in this business. I tried to beat the clock and get my truck back together today and all kinds of fucking shit went wrong. The cheap ass piece of shit KnuKonceptz fuse holder stripped. I measured and installed the French cleat wrong. My final wiring connections ended up looking like buddy hackett installed them. My stupid POS fucking clothes dryer broke and caused the wife to bitch because I didn’t stop right on the spot to fix it. Yeah, I take back what I said because I swore a lot out of frustration and thought who the hell wouldn’t swear a lot doing this every day for a living. :D

Don’t change anything SkizeR as you obviously know what you’re doing or you wouldn’t of made it this far.

·
Registered
18,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
I take back what I said about swearing in this business. I tried to beat the clock and get my truck back together today and all kinds of fucking shit went wrong. The cheap ass piece of shit KnuKonceptz fuse holder stripped. I measured and installed the French cleat wrong. My final wiring connections ended up looking like buddy hackett installed them. My stupid POS fucking clothes dryer broke and caused the wife to bitch because I didn’t stop right on the spot to fix it. Yeah, I take back what I said because I swore a lot out of frustration and thought who the hell wouldn’t swear a lot doing this every day for a living. :D

Don’t change anything SkizeR as you obviously know what you’re doing or you wouldn’t of made it this far.
congratulations, you're officially an installer. Your MECP basic certificate is in the mail :laugh:

·
Registered
18,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
I like the simplicity of your approach - you outline what you will do, then update along the way with progress or changes to the approach.

You've received some excellent feedback already about lighting, and I'd echo that.

Maybe a final 10 seconds with the system running at the end of the video? Would help bring it all together for the viewer - clearly we won't get the great sound that is actually happening, but its fun to see woofers move and know that it all runs right.

Nice build, great gear, and a nice window into the shop and the people responsible for the cool outcome.

Thanks for sharing.
Ah dang it! you just reminded me that i forgot to add video of me demoing the system to the customer and his reactions and comments. UGH!!!

Thank you though!

Nick, really enjoyed the video. Of course the work and craftsmanship are top notch and far beyond me, however I won't bore you with further nut swinging as there is plenty of that in this thread already. :D

You asked for some feedback, so here's mine:

1.) I'll echo Erin's comment about lighting, it was definitely hard to pick up some of the detail in the sail panels in the final walk through, that should be easy enough to address.

2.) I wasn't concerned with the language. All the comments lead me to believe it would be way worse than it was, but not an issue. I guess depending on your target audience, some could be a little turned off but whatever, doesn't seem like you're hurting for clients. I didn't think it was bad at all, keep it raw!

3.) What are you planning to use for a camera on future videos? I've always thought that the small handheld gimbals are a great way to put videos over the top, and you can even get them for use with your Android/iOS phone. My buddy was shooting some footage in the field for his work, both aerial and ground, and I was amazed at the quality of video he captured with his phone and a drone. I believe he was using offerings from DJI. Just a thought.

4.) I think one thing I would enjoy seeing is more of the 'action' shots of some of the fab work. I know you said this would be coming soon. Maybe even some time lapse of a piece start to finish?

5.) I really liked when you were going through the design of the pods and why you chose the layout/configuration. It's stuff like that that I'm really intrigued by and would be awesome to see continued in future vids.

In any case, keep it up. Seems like you guys have fun and turn out a great product, can't ask for much more than that. I'll see if I can think of anything else.
Thank you.

1) Unfortunately the lighting situation in the shop isnt the best in general. This is why i opted to use my phone to record instead of my sony a7rii (along with focusing, doing manual focus for video while doing and explaining stuff will be ridiculously hard).

2) yeah, i cursed maybe 5-10 times in the 30 mins lol. but, what the people want is what the people want

3) I have a very good camera, a Sony A7rii. Problem is, like i said before, focusing, changing lenses, noise from low light (somehow, cell phones seem to do better than actual cameras. Then again, its been a while and maybe i need to try again. I thought about breaking out the tripod and stabilization rig, but then i thought at what point am i putting too much time into the video as opposed to my actual job at hand.

5) i plan on doing this more.

Thank you for the feedback

·
Premium Member
183 Posts
.., and Nick was so smooth when he did that REW video a while back. I don’t think he swore once...i honestly don’t care but from a professional standpoint like a few said , probably better to do a censored version next time .

Anyway and more importantly the video did definitely show off some great craftsmanship and gear as well . Hats off to Apicella Sound.

I heard it mentioned that the GB12s are getting all 3k from the Zapco ?
Wow.. how does it sound Nick? That’s a lot of power in them , no?

·
Registered
18,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
.., and Nick was so smooth when he did that REW video a while back. I don’t think he swore once..

ummm, i think you can hear some within the first ten seconds if i recall lol

Anyway and more importantly the video did definitely show off some great craftsmanship and gear as well . Hats off to Apicella Sound.

I heard it mentioned that the GB12s are getting all 3k from the Zapco ?
Wow.. how does it sound Nick? That’s a lot of power in them , no?
Thank you. and yes, they are getting all 3k when the sub setting on the director is turned all the way up, maybe minus a bit after eq. but we tuned it to set it to -15 for normal listening aka, maybe 100 watts lol

·
Registered
215 Posts
Anyone who is in the business of fixing,repairing,modifying vehicles has a spectacular use of language! Anyone offended by this is a snowflake, if you could hear what typical shop talk sounds like this is clean to me. Great vid Nick, I personally would love to see how the sail panel was crafted besides the laser, They turned out great. Did you print the templates for pressing the grills as well? Seems like a laser is the way to go if so.

·
Registered
18,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Anyone who is in the business of fixing,repairing,modifying vehicles has a spectacular use of language! Anyone offended by this is a snowflake, if you could hear what typical shop talk sounds like this is clean to me. Great vid Nick, I personally would love to see how the sail panel was crafted besides the laser, They turned out great. Did you print the templates for pressing the grills as well? Seems like a laser is the way to go if so.
I did cut out the grill templates on the laser too.

·
Registered
18,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
What laser do you have?
Right now I have a glowforge. I got it to learn the basics of using a laser since they pretty much teach you themselves. Now that I'm getting better I'll probably eventually upgrade to something better

21 - 40 of 55 Posts