DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 128 Posts

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This is my Build Log for my 2013 SRT Jeep
I will be updating this periodically as I continue to build.

The Beast

The equipment-(May change)

Head unit-
Factory

Processing-
Mosconi 6to8 V8
Amps-
Front tweet-JL Audio 300/2
Front midbass-JL Audio 300/2
Front Midbass-JL Audio 300/2
Rear powered off of factory amp and attenuated
Sub-JL Audio 1000/1

Drivers-
front tweet-Boston Acoustics Z6 tweeters in the factory sail location
Front Midbass-Boston Acoustics Z6 woofers with modified factory mounts and grill(2 per door)
Rear- Boston acoustics Z6 component set in the factory locations with modified grill

Sub-13w7 ported tuned to 31hz

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Okay, Heres where it all started. I was driving one day and saw an SUV that stopped me in my tracks. I literally stopped in the road to see what it was. Hmm....it said SRT8 or something. I went home and looked it up and immediately fell in love with the 2006 model SRT Jeep. I vowed to one day own one in spite of the price. :D

So Roughly a year later I had been working tons of OT and just so happened to have been hit in a Tbone accident and needed a new car.....Hmmm I wonder.

So I started looking for a used SRT Jeep. Boom found one!! I flew to Pheonix on a Friday afternoon and picked up my 2006 SRT JEEP and drove 26 hours by myself on beef jerky and rice crispy treats to make it home at 9PM on Sat.

long story short a year plus some later.....gas prices boomed and the economy took a dive. I was facing layoffs every day and knew that I would need to make changes to afford to keep my family situation okay. I traded the Jeep on a 2008 Pontiac G8GT.

Now I loved the G8 and it did save me some gas and cost much less. It was pretty fast and overall was a good ride but I knew that I missed the Jeep. From almost day one I knew that I would buy another one.

fast forward....the new SRT jeep came out in 2012 and I really liked it alot. It had all the things that were lacking in my 06. There was a wayyyyyy nicer interior. The back seat was now fit for human seating. There was a hitch and 5000lb towing capacity. It rode better. One of the things I noticed about it was the spare tire well with a factory spare. The 06 did not come with one. It had run flats. Well the new one had a spare and runflats.....and that is good for us audio nuts. It was a much more practical vehicle in so many ways.

SOOOOO......I vowed again that the WK2 SRT jeep was my next ride.:D

Life got better, the economy is now growing, after a couple military deployments I had purchased a new house for the wife and knocked her up(courtesy of return from the deployment). Our son was born and life was going great. I have a great life,wife, two kids (aged 15 and 1 year old), a new AWESOME career and again I am working Major OT.......You know what that means!!!!:D:):D

Early Summer I started the search! After haggling at a few dealerships and preparing to once again fly out west to try to find another, I happened upon a 2013 SRT Jeep with 2500 miles for a bargain of a deal within 20 miles of me. They also gave me premium cash for my 08 G8GT so I was very pleased. I bought it May 25th 2014 while I was supposed to be camping. My Awesome Nephew went to pick it up with me and back to the campground we went.

This is where it all began......Stay tuned for more.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
First my nephew and I whipped up a temporary enclosure before I went on a trip. This is when I realized that the spare tire well was not quite deep enough to fit the sub and still be stealth with all the factory covers. It was about 3 inches too short. The enclosure was sealed with a LOC but it got the job done until I found out that my JL 1000/1 that has served me very well for about a decade now needed to be sent in for the infamous random mute issue. It took about a month and a couple weeks to get it back.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So while my amp was out I went wacky trying to figure how the heck I was going to fit a 13w7 in there without cutting the floor....

I went through many designs to try fit the amps, processor with the port and the sub all on one baffle under the factory load floor with enough space to load the bass off of a the load floor.

Aint gonna happen..... Soooooooo.....grabbed the mini sabre saw and my design and....

cut a 11X17 hole

My awesome nephew and I cut up a fresh sheet of baltic birch and made the two part (upper and Lower) enclosure.

The exposed parts of the enclosure are sealed inside and out with epoxy resin. I use epoxy resinn because when I used to use the good polyester resin, it was crazy stank. I could not do it in the house and due to the cold it would never have cured.

i made a little OOps when cutting the baffle. apparently if you make even a minor change to a baffle that already is very packed, you end up haveng to adjust other things....LOL!! below you can see that it is all sealed up. The Baffle is two layers of 3/4 baltic birch for 2 feet around the sub and braced with a kerfed brace. The enclosure is about 3 cubic ft and tuned to about 31-32hz. The port fires under the rear seats and the fully rigid load floor will losd the front of the sub. This is all planned in order to remain fully stealth and in an attempt to have a NASTY attack to the bass with LOWWWWWW extention. I also wanted the bass to be the same whether I have a load of cargo on a long family trip or whether the back is empty.

·
Registered
640 Posts
So am I seeing that right that you cut a hole in the bottom of the jeep? BALLS MAN! *Thumbsup*

Is that a skid plate or gas tank that's showing through? May not be a bad idea to have a welder build you up a shell and weld that in just to give it some extra strength.

Josh

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So am I seeing that right that you cut a hole in the bottom of the jeep? BALLS MAN! *Thumbsup*

Is that a skid plate or gas tank that's showing through? May not be a bad idea to have a welder build you up a shell and weld that in just to give it some extra strength.

Josh
Yes you are correct an fortunately for me I have both a welder and plasma cutter in the garage and aint afraid to use them.

The plastic skid plate is just for show. I am basically saving the metal that was cut out in order to weld it back in if I were to ever get rid of the Jeep. My plan is to keep it for a long time though.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Okay, I updated post 2 with the links to my exhaust videos and my Driiive profile with all the photos I will be posting. Nice to have a single spot to post the pics since Cardomain F-ed itself royally. I cant even decipher my own profile let alone someone else try to figure it out.

I will also add that after hooking the sub up for a few day test bump, Dayummmm....this thing is very nice. There is no shortage of low end extension and it actually sounds louder than it has in the past for some reason. I am just going to end up turning it down most of the time....but nice to know that it is available when I want it.:D:D

Besides, my Nephew likes it so I am happy. I actually did not want to port it but I did it just to please the bass head in him. :D Thats my excuse and im sticking to it!!;)

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ohhhhh wow ! Love itttttttttttt! Keep cutting!

No more cutting. I think I have done enough.lol! I really aggonized over it for a while. In the end using the w7 that I already have and love beat out having to buy a couple 12w6v3 subs and possibly not liking it

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Update!!

I
Hate
The
Winter
Time.
:mad::mad::mad:

Sooooo pissed about this cold weather. It got too cold and too fast. I dont even feel like working on the Beast in 15 degree weather. And the garage is frickin 40 degrees if the door is closed all day. Soon as you open the door, the arctic breeze rolls through.

I
Hate
The
Winter
Time
:mad::mad:

·
Registered
133 Posts
Looks like it will be a great build. Cutting the floor takes some nuts. Did you discuss this with the other half first or just did it.
Interesting take on the commodore I mean g8. I haven't seen the hu mounted in the dash top like that, and out here we see a lot of commodore builds. Great work. Ben

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 128 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.