DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2014 VW CC Sport
1,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
EDIT: so this long journey started with me thinking I was just going to upgrade the factory head unit, add a 5 channel amp, components in front and rear doors with two Dayton audio Ultimax 10”
that lasted about 1month. Then I started down the rabbit hole and haven’t been able to find my way out of it 😂.

(Quick back story. I have been into home audio and home theaters and installed satellite, Comcast and home automation for different companys in central Indiana since 2003.
I fell down the home audio rabbit hole several times. Once I had four Mach 5 audio IXL 18” subs powered by two ep4000 amps pushing 2000 watts @2ohms into each 18” sub. Plus JtrTriple12” mains and triple 8” center with a Sherbourn 7x350 watt amp. And was hitting 130db in my living room which is kind of insane but there was a few of us in one forum that were bass heads and kind of secretly competed against each other 😜. Those guys hit 140+ dB so I was a chump compared to them. But it was still insane and with over 11000 total watts was better than most concerts and clubs in Indianapolis. Lol )

nevertheless , the car audio rabbit hole sucked me into it after some major life changes and it’s been an awesome sometimes frustrating journey! Who would have known that in order to have a great sounding car stereo now days you would need a damn music engineering degree 😂! I almost gave up many times trying to learn how to tune and get it right. But I kept at it for almost 2 years trying over and over. Reading hundreds of hours of threads I all the car audio forums. Watched every YouTube video I could possibly find and eventually It all clicked and I ended up putting together what worked for me from everything I seen or read, a process of tuning which yielded me an awesome sounding car. And have now tuned a few others including people in this forum and a bikes at a custom motorcycle shop. It’s now something that I love and am passionate about and want to continue learning more and more and get better at! I’m still a rookie as far as I’m concerned!
Without so many of you from this very forum it would have never happened and I THANK YOU ALL! Skizr, Jazzi, dumdum, Holmz just to name a few and so many more!!! There’s alot of knowledge from members on this site, so for any newcomers to car audio, don’t give up! Ask a lot of questions if you don’t know. Many of us will chime in and help out or give our opinions. Soak in the knowledge and learn whatever you can from each person. Sometimes people including myself may sound like assholes or opinionated but don’t take it personal.

I should have started this two years ago 😂
I’m gonna see if I can’t dig up all my pics I took along the way.
Equipment
Kenwood excelon 9905s
2tb hard drive
idatalink maestro
Helix dsp.3
B2 audio 1200.6 and 2500.1
Two B2 audio rage 12” in ported box
Seas prestige 1” tweeter
Audison Voce 3” and 6.5”
370 amp JS Alternator
XS power D3100, Maxwell 58f supercap
Arc52 remote relay
Stinger 8000 series RCAs

xs power d3100 under the hood,I also added two led light strips to the hood with a switch so they come on when it’s raised. These pics are at night. I love the leds.

·
Registered
2014 VW CC Sport
1,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The seas tweets I put in the sail panels. I took the stock panels cut a hole and glued a pvc end cap that the seas fit into. Then bondo around it. Sanded and painted it with black texture paint then a coat of black satin.
The mids I put on the angled part of the door mid way down just above the 6.5” in the heavily treated doors. The doors have cld on outside panel with 1” insulation from ceiling tiles wrapped in 2mil plastic to water proof it over the top of the cld.

there is more cld on the inside door panel then a layer of closed cell foam.
the door skins mane more cld. I also superglue any plastic rivet or anything that can vibrate or squeek. Filled all cavities inside the door skin with spray foam. These doors are crazy solid and nothing vibrates! Also molding clay around the midbass... the midbass factory speakers flanges I had to modify to fit the Audison. I cut out the factory 7” then needed to make it find something to fill the hole to mount the audison onto. It just so happens a toilet bowl flange was the exact same size as the cutout 😂 So I attached toilet bowl flanges to the cutouts and mounted the midbass. I hadn’t treated the skins yet in this pic.

·
Registered
2014 VW CC Sport
1,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just this week used what I had left and removed the seats and carpet to deaden and sound proof.
First used few pieces of cld that was leftover then sprayed rubber undercoating.

next was 2 layers of this foam insulation with foil backing I got on clearance a while back. Then two layers of insulation that’s used under hardwood floors to absorb sound. I rushed doing this so it doesn’t look the greatest but it works!

View attachment 276154
View attachment 276155
View attachment 276156
Tire Auto part Automotive tire Automotive wheel system Automotive exterior
Auto part Technology
Vehicle Tire Auto part Automotive exterior Automotive tire

·
Registered
2014 VW CC Sport
1,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Couple trunk pics. Helix and relay tucked away in the cubbie hole. The helix is hard wired up front to a dual usb plug in the console. And also took apart the B2 audio remote knob and wired it into the console. I don’t use it but I wanted the 3 leds in the knob to let me know it has power and if clipping.drilled tiny holes for the leds.
The iPhone charging cord goes behind the dash trim into the kenwood for CarPlay. It also pulls in and out. And the hard drive fits perfectly in this hidden fold down compartment in the glove box that also has a hard wired plug that goes thru the maestro to play mp3 on a usb stick. Never gets used obviously lol

the hard drive has thousands of Flac music and also HD music videos which it will play anytime I want in 720p! Also keep all my tuning files stored in a folder on the drive.

·
Registered
2014 VW CC Sport
1,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Here’s a video clip showing the modified startup screen. Plus how fast it access the us videos. Also shows using the steering wheel I can switch to gauges and monitor the car. I have water methanol injection so I can monitor intake air temps and voltage at the same time just by a simple button press

·
Registered
2014 VW CC Sport
1,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ceramic coating is no joke! And in case y’all dont know, even the 10$ coating on Amazon is the same **** they are charging people 400-600$ for. Here’s what 2 coats of 10$ ceramic does! It’s insane how the water and dirt won’t stick to it. No more needing soap to wash it. Just plain old water and a waffle weave drying towel.
Monday I’m adding a coat of Adam’s Graphene ceramic coating! It’s even more hydrophobic than normal ceramic by about 15 degrees. Water literally jumps off of graphene. I’ll post a video after it’s cured Untill then here is a quick video of ceramic in action.

·
Registered
2014 VW CC Sport
1,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yep :) I'm training this guy from spl to sq guy :) lol

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
Your training me? 😂😂😂 That’s funny ... Ive always been a SQ guy That like his music louder than elevator music.

I’ll be training you next weekend how to tune if ya want me to visit. I’m coming anyways I need to get the baffle if your guy makes it for me

·
Registered
2014 VW CC Sport
1,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Had some issues with a couple brand new amps the past couple months. Took 3 months to get my IB sub and amps all going good. For now have audiocontrol lc6.1200. Going to get another and run one each per door for more power and channel seperation. Mostly just for power. Still need to find a sub amp. Then I can finish my Trunk .

pic of my tune with no smoothing and the sub extra hot in this tune. And yes I tune in that dip on purpose. It’s not because of out of phase drivers. Just makes everything less harsh at high volume and also makes much more snap.

·
Registered
2014 VW CC Sport
1,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Short demo showing how easy it does hair tricks. Not hair in this video lmao. I was curious as I’ve never had IB sub or a car that could hair trick so grabbed a pillow case . Don’t laugh 😂

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.