DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

41 - 60 of 67 Posts

·
Premium Member
714 Posts
For you audi guys that have replaced the tweeters in the sail panels, do you think a tweet with a 4" faceplate would fit in there? I was looking at this one again and after converting mm-in, cuz you know, 'Merica, I realized how big it really was.

https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/ring-radiator-tweeters/sb-acoustics-sb29rdac-c000-4-ring-dome-tweeter/
I've used these in small locations, and for a $40 tweeter, they are nice!
https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/auto-tweeters/seas-prestige-27tffnc/g-h1396-1-textile-dome-tweeter/

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Don't sell yourself short, that new sienna of yours is no slouch. Just don't let your wife catch you trying to put speakers in it:D
My plan worked. After showing her how big the Illusion C6CX A-pillar pods would be, which she quickly said hell no to, I talked her into letting me put some dash speakers in (GB10/GB25) firing up from the stock dash locations. And we were driving her van today and the stock bass sounded boomy so we went from +1 (too boomy) to 0 (barely there) on the OEM deck. It sounded bad and I made sure to mention it and she agreed. So I should be good to put speakers in her van. I just have to find some amps as I sold my Alpine PDX-V9s to somebody we know. :) Oh, and I have to wait for Nick to get the SI SQL-12 subs in.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #43 (Edited)
My plan worked. After showing her how big the Illusion C6CX A-pillar pods would be, which she quickly said hell no to, I talked her into letting me put some dash speakers in (GB10/GB25) firing up from the stock dash locations. And we were driving her van today and the stock bass sounded boomy so we went from +1 (too boomy) to 0 (barely there) on the OEM deck. It sounded bad and I made sure to mention it and she agreed. So I should be good to put speakers in her van. I just have to find some amps as I sold my Alpine PDX-V9s to somebody we know. :) Oh, and I have to wait for Nick to get the SI SQL-12 subs in.
Ah the old "tell-her-you-want-something-ridiculous-and-then-'settle'-for-what-you-really-want trick". Well played sir

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Finally had some free time to give the car a quick wash today so I took a few pics.

Thinking about putting this here. Only need 0.7cuft for the box.

Would these things have to be moved or can they live there and just fiberglass over/around them? I assume I’d want access to the fuse box.

Other side of the trunk

Not much spare room in there...

I’d like to keep it all hidden. Is there really enough room behind the trunk liner for sub box, 2 pdx v9 amps and dsp? I haven’t seen the gear in person yet so it’s hard for me to judge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk?

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
I’d like to keep it all hidden. Is there really enough room behind the trunk liner for sub box, 2 pdx v9 amps and dsp? I haven’t seen the gear in person yet so it’s hard for me to judge.
No, there isn’t enough room under there for everything. If you made a false floor and lifted a few inches, then yes. But you’d also have some wasted space throughout the trunk since the amps and DSP would only take up a little of the overall floor space.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
No, there isn’t enough room under there for everything. If you made a false floor and lifted a few inches, then yes. But you’d also have some wasted space throughout the trunk since the amps and DSP would only take up a little of the overall floor space.
I know it's Monday and all, but I'm gonna need a little more positivity out of you than that. And don't say "I'm positive there's not enough room" like I would. Those amps aren't THAT big, the minidsp either, all smaller than standard printer paper at roughly 8x10" and 8x5" respectively. Maybe some could go under the spare tire?

·
Registered
4,632 Posts
I know it's Monday and all, but I'm gonna need a little more positivity out of you than that. And don't say "I'm positive there's not enough room" like I would. Those amps aren't THAT big, the minidsp either, all smaller than standard printer paper at roughly 8x10" and 8x5" respectively. Maybe some could go under the spare tire?

Here is some encouragement - I was able to get two Stinger Marine switches under the spare tire

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Then how about you go get you some stacks of printer pages and note cards so you can line up your equipment? :) And the equipment would fit in place of the tire but not with the sub in the spare tire well. :) And just because you don't like my answer doesn't mean I'm not correct. LOL!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Here is some encouragement - I was able to get two Stinger Marine switches under the spare tire
Haha, aren't those about the size of Post-its? I was a little confused as to what you used those for. Can you dumb it down for me and would you recommend them for my install?

Then how about you go get you some stacks of printer pages and note cards so you can line up your equipment? :) And the equipment would fit in place of the tire but not with the sub in the spare tire well. :) And just because you don't like my answer doesn't mean I'm not correct. LOL!
I'm fine with putting whatever in there as long as I still have a spare to use. I'd rather change a tire than be stranded. That's not a bad idea though...

·
Registered
4,632 Posts
Haha, aren't those about the size of Post-its? I was a little confused as to what you used those for. Can you dumb it down for me and would you recommend them for my install?

I'm fine with putting whatever in there as long as I still have a spare to use. I'd rather change a tire than be stranded. That's not a bad idea though...

Some of the bigger post it notes perhaps

Those switches are handy when I drop the car for service - I can easily cut the power to the amps before dropping it off - the head unit (and DSP) can be turned on, but nothing will be coming out of the speakers - so chance of nonsense at the service department.

It is also handy for when we are futzing with wiring, etc. - can kill all power to the amps with a flick of a switch. So I find them handy.

·
Registered
122 Posts
First off your S4 is beautiful and I’m planning to start measuring out the trunk to try to fit 3 amps and a dsp but I’m getting rid of my spare tire and I’m okay with a sub box😂 just a college student with no need for a trunk!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
First off your S4 is beautiful and I’m planning to start measuring out the trunk to try to fit 3 amps and a dsp but I’m getting rid of my spare tire and I’m okay with a sub box😂 just a college student with no need for a trunk!
Thanks! Interested to see what layout works best in there.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
Well, I’ve been meaning to update this thread since I finally have procured all the main items for the install. It’ll still be a couple of months before it all goes in since we are waiting to see what happens with our local school redistricting. I’m holding off on any major expenses in case we have to move. I also need to visit a couple of shops to see what they are able to do for me.

The equipment list as it stands currently:

Audison/mobridge da1
Alpine pdx-v9 (2)
Minidsp 6x8
Illusion audio c3cx (using factory xo)
SI tm65 mkv
SI bm12 (2)

I want to keep it fairly stock looking, but not sure about what to do about the box for the subs. Bilateral fiberglassed boxes would be nice and out of the way, but also the most expensive way to go. I don’t really want to sacrifice any depth because I want to be able to fit my golf clubs in the back when needed. Also want to keep the spare as I’d rather change a tire than be stranded.

One suggestion I liked was to mount them in a shallow box underneath the rear deck. I can spare some height easier than depth.

I’m open to more suggestions and have no experience with planning an install. All my equipment to date has mainly been mounted to the rear of the backseats. I’m going for a more stealthy feel this time around.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Well, I’ve been meaning to update this thread since I finally have procured all the main items for the install. It’ll still be a couple of months before it all goes in since we are waiting to see what happens with our local school redistricting. I’m holding off on any major expenses in case we have to move. I also need to visit a couple of shops to see what they are able to do for me.

The equipment list as it stands currently:

Audison/mobridge da1
Alpine pdx-v9 (2)
Minidsp 6x8
Illusion audio c3cx (using factory xo)
SI tm65 mkv
SI bm12 (2)

I want to keep it fairly stock looking, but not sure about what to do about the box for the subs. Bilateral fiberglassed boxes would be nice and out of the way, but also the most expensive way to go. I don’t really want to sacrifice any depth because I want to be able to fit my golf clubs in the back when needed. Also want to keep the spare as I’d rather change a tire than be stranded.

One suggestion I liked was to mount them in a shallow box underneath the rear deck. I can spare some height easier than depth.

I’m open to more suggestions and have no experience with planning an install. All my equipment to date has mainly been mounted to the rear of the backseats. I’m going for a more stealthy feel this time around.

It's hard to tell, but it looks like there might be room for the amps and DA1 behind the left panel in the trunk - IF that's the factory amp on top and it gets removed. You would probably have to come up with a creative bracket but it's a possibility.

The subs are definitely going to be more difficult if you are going with a pair as opposed to a single. I'm wondering if you can build an enclosure on the right side with the subs side-by-side, using the area behind the cubby as airspace. You'd give up probably 5" or so in width, but you'd have all your depth to fit your clubs. Factory carpet and some basic round edges would be fairly stock looking. I'm guessing you'd have to make a new, narrower floor to be able to access the spare, but the height would be the same.

I'm really interested to see which direction you go with this. I'll probably have my 335i for another 18 months and the S4 seems like a good candidate for a replacement.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
It's hard to tell, but it looks like there might be room for the amps and DA1 behind the left panel in the trunk - IF that's the factory amp on top and it gets removed. You would probably have to come up with a creative bracket but it's a possibility.

The subs are definitely going to be more difficult if you are going with a pair as opposed to a single. I'm wondering if you can build an enclosure on the right side with the subs side-by-side, using the area behind the cubby as airspace. You'd give up probably 5" or so in width, but you'd have all your depth to fit your clubs. Factory carpet and some basic round edges would be fairly stock looking. I'm guessing you'd have to make a new, narrower floor to be able to access the spare, but the height would be the same.

I'm really interested to see which direction you go with this. I'll probably have my 335i for another 18 months and the S4 seems like a good candidate for a replacement.
How have you liked the 335?

·
Registered
98 Posts
How have you liked the 335?

For the most part, I love the car - it's fast even without a software program, and nothing beats a Dinan suspension. I think it's the ideal daily driver because of the balance between sportiness and every-day comfort. And the combination of the shifter and smooth inline 6 is tough to beat. BUT: having to replace the rod bearings at 83k miles (they started to go probably around 55-60k) was almost enough to make me sell the car. Besides that issue, it's been very reliable but the N54 motors are pretty finicky and when something breaks it's gonna be a big repair bill.

So basically it's a love/hate relationship, and I don't like the threat of major repair bills. I hear the S4 doesn't have major problems, it has AWD, comes with 3 pedals, and it's a real looker. How do you like yours?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
For the most part, I love the car - it's fast even without a software program, and nothing beats a Dinan suspension. I think it's the ideal daily driver because of the balance between sportiness and every-day comfort. And the combination of the shifter and smooth inline 6 is tough to beat. BUT: having to replace the rod bearings at 83k miles (they started to go probably around 55-60k) was almost enough to make me sell the car. Besides that issue, it's been very reliable but the N54 motors are pretty finicky and when something breaks it's gonna be a big repair bill.

So basically it's a love/hate relationship, and I don't like the threat of major repair bills. I hear the S4 doesn't have major problems, it has AWD, comes with 3 pedals, and it's a real looker. How do you like yours?
Love it, nicest car I ever had. Scooped it up for just over half price a couple of years ago and got the longest extended warranty available.

I had a ‘02 b5 s4 that was great, but notoriously unreliable as I found out later. That extended warranty paid for itself 3-4x to get it to 100k. So after that point I sold it to a guy from FL because I went back to school and knew I wouldn’t be able to afford the upkeep.

Having gone through that, I did more research over the years before buying another s4. Specifically looking for reliability, forced induction and awd, a newer s4 was one of only a few options. According to consumer reports, Audi’s reliability got significantly better starting in 2013, so I wouldn’t buy anything earlier than that.

But the handling, power, looks and interior are all top notch and I’m happy every time I get in it.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
Finally got around to going by a local shop today for an estimate. I took all the gear with me so they could look it over to get a better idea of what I want to do.

I’ve thought about starting with just once bm12 in a glass box in right cubby spot then maybe add a second on the other side down the road as money/wants permit. They weren’t completely certain a 12” would fit there and have enough clearance for the trunk support arm.

If that’s the case then I’m stuck with building a wooden box. I know they’d make it look nice, but I’d need drawings to really understand his vision before agreeing to anything. They also have a cnc on site he said they’d use to make acrylic rings for the tm65s. He said they were some huge 6.5s...think he was impressed.

However, one thing he noticed that I had overlooked was that the minidsp 6x8 does not have an optical input, which I need. Doh!

This means I’m going to have to find a different dsp. They suggested the JL TWK88. It looks like it’d be a good option and even has an optical pass through, though I can’t imagine what that would be useful for if you’re gonna tune all the speakers anyway?

If anyone has experience with the TWK88 or the Tun software, I’d appreciate any input. Or if there are better dsp options that’d work better, that would be great too since I’ve never had a system with a dsp involved.

41 - 60 of 67 Posts