DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

61 - 67 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
I know this kinda overlaps the DA1 you bought... but why not sell it, and the MiniDSP - and buy my mObridge DA-G2.PRO ?
It's got everything you need, built into a single unit.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
Certainly some good options, thanks.

What about a spdif->optical converter box? Could power be spliced in-line somewhere?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk?

·
Registered
4,632 Posts
Certainly some good options, thanks.

What about a spdif->optical converter box? Could power be spliced in-line somewhere?

I’d be interested in what you discover here - I’ve been back and forth about a USB to Coax converter myself - haven’t seen anything that would work simply because of the need to power it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
This is certainly an option... but these converters tend to be 5 volt, so you will also need a 12VDC to 5VDC converter, for your converter!

Here are your options:
  1. Sell the miniDSP, and buy a different one that has an optical input. I know it's not what you want to hear, but this probably is your best option.
  2. Add an Optical to RCA converter, as well as a power converter. Which is a lot of extra parts for something that will potentially degrade your overall sound quality. Personally, I wouldn't do it... but it's not my car, not my system.
  3. Buy the new mObridge unit, which has everything you need. I realize this may be beyond your budget, but I'm just presenting it as an option. You could sell the DA1 and the miniDSP for almost the recoupe price of the mObridge unit.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
This is certainly an option... but these converters tend to be 5 volt, so you will also need a 12VDC to 5VDC converter, for your converter!

Here are your options:
  1. Sell the miniDSP, and buy a different one that has an optical input. I know it's not what you want to hear, but this probably is your best option.
  2. Add an Optical to RCA converter, as well as a power converter. Which is a lot of extra parts for something that will potentially degrade your overall sound quality. Personally, I wouldn't do it... but it's not my car, not my system.
  3. Buy the new mObridge unit, which has everything you need. I realize this may be beyond your budget, but I'm just presenting it as an option. You could sell the DA1 and the miniDSP for almost the recoupe price of the mObridge unit.
Thanks Jimmy, a little brutal honesty never hurt anyone. The world could use more of it;). With the most recent install estimate, budget was definitely an issue, otherwise I'd go with your mobridge. Luckily, I scored a JL twk-88 for a good deal in the classifieds and it looks like it should be all I need.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Glad you got it sorted out.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
I decided to pick some of the brains over on audizine to get some advice from others who have upgraded the stereos in their s4/a4. While many have simply upgraded speakers and/or added a sub, a few have gone whole hog like those of us here.

With the desire to keep as much of my trunk space as possible, I kept coming back to the suggestion to mount the BM12s in the rear deck. I texted Nick at SI and asked him. He said the bm would work very well IB and even play lower than if in a sealed box. I’m going to contact my shop and see what they can do...

61 - 67 of 67 Posts