DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up a JBL Gt-12BP box for the rear hatch. My plan is to tap into the rear sub output from the stock Infinity amp, run it to a LOC and then to an RF4002 amp with a bridged 4ohm load.

For the high level signal from the head unit I was going to tap into the wires coming out of the Inifnity amp that are running to the sub in the rear. For some reason there seem to be 2 sets of outputs but only 1 sub. Have yet to check for signal on both lines.

I'm looking at the AudioControl LC2i and PowerBass ALC-2 for Line Out Converters. The PowerBass is less expensive but I'll gladly shell out the extra for the AudioControl if need be. Can't find much along the lines of reviews on either one. Seems the AudioControl is the most popular.

I am a bit puzzled by the 2 inputs and outputs to a subwoofer when there's only 1 sub. As far as I know there aren't any stock setups with 2 subs. I'd imagine it could be a dvc, but I can't find specs on what's in there now.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,447 Posts
I think that the subwoofer in that vehicle is a DVC unit.

HOWEVER, If you want a really great SQ system with excellent, deep, dynamic subwoofer response in that vehicle, my advice is to bite the bullet and install a good aftermarket head unit with Apple CarPlay & Android Auto plus all of the other features that you want (if at all possible).

IME with all Hyundai OEM systems I've done installs in, the SQ output of the OEM sytstem is very substandard. I found that this was also true in my GF's 2012 Santa Fe SE AWD when I started installing a SQ system in it as well. The OEM system is crap!

After a lot of testing with of the OEM signal, and complete disbelief, I opted to install a Kenwood eXcelon Reference head unit (listed below), and it was NIGHT AND DAY better...like competition-winning, audiophile-quality better!

The Kenwood eXcelon Reference DDX9905S from 2018 is a full-featured Double-DIN head unit with a 7" HD touchscreen with EXCELLENT SQ from its 5V Front, Rear, & Subwoofer RCA outputs that do not clip even at full volume (40/40).

It has 2 USB inputs so you can use one for your Smartphone and the other for a large capacity portable 2.5" HDD, SSD, or Thumbdrive filled with all of your music & videos. I have a 2TB HDD connected to mine and it accesses & plays the music files from it lightining fast. You can find them extremely cheap now compared to their cost when they were released because there is a newer model out...

...the 2019 DDX9906XR which adds Wireless CarPlay (already has Wireless Android Auto). And in late March that DDX9906XR will be replaced again by an even newer unit for 2020...the DDX9907XR (it will add HDMI input and LDAC Bluetooth streaming). There are similar units to all of these in the "eXcelon Reference" lineup that have built-in Garmin NAV if you need it...look at the "DNX" units for NAV, but you can use your smartphone for Nav on the DDX models, including Waze. But the DDX9905S is still a killer head unit.

For the money and hassle of integrating into the OEM system and having to use an LC2i and/or other high-quality LOC and workarounds you are more than halfway in cost to buying a DDX9905S or similar high-quality head unit.

Sure, you'll need a dash kit, and I would also HIGHLY recommend using the iDataLink Maestro RR interface with the Kenwood eXcelon Reference head units, so it will be a bit more cost in the end. HOWEVER, I can pretty much guarantee that you'll never be truly satisfied with the SQ of your nice subwoofer or any other speakers and amps that you add when playing through the crappy OEM signal. :( Garbage In=Garbage Out!

It's really a bummer because the OEM system has a great feature set. But if you want a truly great-sounding system, the signal coming from the Hyundai OEM system will always be the weakest link in the chain.

Now if they come out with a PAC Audio AmpPRO, NAVTV Zen, or other similar interface for these vehicles, that would be a game changer. But so far I don't know of any good OEM interface units that provide a truly clean, full range audio output signal for Hyundai vehicles.

Just my .02 with every Hyundai I've worked with.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts