DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, as some are aware, my wife's civic was totaled out last oct. We had actually planned on replacing it with a MB CLA250, but after test driving the Optima Turbo, we cancelled our order for the MB that day. I've gotten permission from my wife to do some special things for this car, even though it will take a while to do it all, but I figured I would start now, as is.

The car is a Optima SX Turbo, with both the electronics package and the convenience package. Now, we didn't want the upgraded stereo, but I have to say, its better than any other stock stereo I've ever heard. I actually competed in stock class last weekend for Meca, and scored 59.25 with it, with who I would consider to be a critical but fair judge. I also competed it in Rookie Iasca, just to get feedback from more judges. Brian Mitchell judged there, and gave it a 180, and told me it was surprisingly good. I should clarify, this thing is dead stock, except me playing with the stock controls. Bass was set to -7, mid set to +2, and treble to -2. It was faded forward one notch.

It's the Infinity system. Has an 8", dual voice coil, IB sub. I'm not going to call it free air, since the trunk is pretty much completely sealed from the cabin. The rear speakers are in the doors, and are 6.5" "full ranges". The front doors have 6.5" midbass speakers, which are sealed, but I'm not sure how solid the mounting surface is. And the dash has what seems like a 5" full range center, sealed to the grill, and 2.75" coax left and right, which are run active, and again sealed to the grill.

Right Speaker

Right Speaker Closer

Center Channel

I'll have more in a little after I charge my laptop.

·
Registered
5,742 Posts
Sorry to hear about your wife's Civic but am glad to hear that you came out well. Looking forward to hearing what all will be installed into this build. :)

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
In for this one. I'm guessing since it's a new car and all it won't be as crazy as the Neon, lol.

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
In for this one. I'm guessing since it's a new car and all it won't be as crazy as the Neon, lol.
Lol, nothing to do with it being new, and everything to do with it being my wifes.

So, I actually fell asleep while my laptop charged.

Yesterday I tested sub locations. Doesn't seem that interesting, until I tell you that my wife has said an up front passenger foot well mounted sub would be ok. Well, I dragged my bedroom HT sub out there, a cheap 10" sub with a plate amp. It actually hit peak numbers in the corner of the trunk, but the response was ragged and in rung forever. There was a tiny difference moving it to behind the seat, facing rearwards, but the response was still ragged. Turning the box around so it faced forward, smoothed out the response none, and dropped the peak by 3db almost through the whole range. Putting it in the passenger foot well dropped peak output by another 3db, but smoothed out the response like crazy. It also stopped the ringing.

Trunk Corner Mounted, Green, Front Passenger Foot Well Mounted, Blue

Trunk Corner Mounted Waterfall 1

Front Passenger Foot Well Mounted Waterfall 1

Trunk Corner Mounted Waterfall 2

Front Passenger Foot Well Mounted Waterfall 2

·
Premium Member
9,235 Posts
Thanks for wasting a bunch of that laptop battery helping me out. :D

I'm really looking forward to seeing how the Optima build progresses. I will say, that being present for a quick listening comparison of trunk corner loaded sub vs. the passenger foot well sub, I definitely preferred the sound and impact of the up front subwoofer.

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
As did I, and my wife. She hated the sound of it in the trunk. Rattles like crazy and just a weird resonance. Up front was much better, and even with the cheapy sub, there was more output than she would use, meaning with the final sub I'll be able to eq in the really low stuff without getting near its limits.

I think the MS-8 will be going up for sale. Rton and I talked about just throwing in a sub and using a processor that would give me the control I needed, and I mentioned that I have a MS-8 just sitting there. But I forgot that there are 10 active channels in the stock system, and only 8 in the MS-8. But that's not the main problem, the main problem is there's no where I could get the signal to the MS-8 from. Like I said, there's 10 active channels, so speaker level is out, and between the head unit and amp/processor is SPDIF.

Unless, using just the front speaker outputs, and subwoofer out would work? Since it's going to create its on center and rears anyways.

·
Banned
887 Posts
with the MS8, the less channels you can use to obtain a full range signal, the better. the minimum you should use would be a left, right, and sub.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I just picked up a 2013 and I became curious about what I could potentially do. I have a closet full of gear waiting to go, but I was afraid of something like this. I suppose I'll save it for another car. It really doesn't matter to me enough to justify the effort to tie into the factory system from the sounds of this.

·
Registered
10 Posts
My work has me putting 20-25k a year on it, plus my personal driving. I went with a CPO SX with the Infinity system. Its got just under 13k on it, and I'm debating how long I plan on keeping it. I want to move it before the warranty is out on the powertrain, so it will last me 3 years at best. I'm curious how your project will progress. Maybe I'll be inspired.

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
My work has me putting 20-25k a year on it, plus my personal driving. I went with a CPO SX with the Infinity system. Its got just under 13k on it, and I'm debating how long I plan on keeping it. I want to move it before the warranty is out on the powertrain, so it will last me 3 years at best. I'm curious how your project will progress. Maybe I'll be inspired.
Ya, I can see not wanting to mess with it too much. It really does a lot of things well, its just that you can't fix the things it doesn't do well.

·
Registered
3,031 Posts
Jay, I think Chris' point is that the OEM Infinity system can't be fixed/tweaked much in its default state. You can only do so much with bass/treble/balance/fader. ;)

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
So I wanted to try to get some idea where things were being crossed over. Not perfect, but I made some near field measurements of each speaker location, trying as much as possible to eliminate sound from the other speakers. Only way to get better than this is to disconnect all the other speakers. Eventually, I'll do that.

My main hope was to see if there was something causing the huge hole at 200hz. It seems every speaker in the car has issues with that hole, even when measured nearfield.

Passenger Front Midbass

Passenger Midrange/Tweeter

Center Channel

Rear Drivers Side Midbass

Subwoofer

All Measurements Overlapped

I'll need to go back and do this sometime at night, when its dead quiet, and unplug the other speakers, but for now, it gives me some ideas on why it sounds the way it does.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts