DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
4,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been working hard for the past few weeks and got two more projects done. The first was brand new 2014 Toyota tacoma double cab, when we got it, despite it being only a few months old, it was already well on its way to become a tastefully customized truck. A big focus was on adding a two way paging top of the line compustar two way paging alarm system with remote tracking, but it also received a nice audio upgrade at the same time.

the goals:

1. achieve a decent level of sq while retaining the stock JBL headunit (for now)
2. maintain a low key and hidden install behind the back seats and throughout the interior.

lets get started with the under hood portion. here you see two metal brackets by Joey, the first houses the hood pin switch for the alarm, and the other securely mounts the stinger fuse block:

here they are during construction:

while we will not be showing most of the alarm components due to obvious reasons. here is one cool part that has become the norm for us. Joey hiding the alarm antenna and led light inside the oem rear view mirror :)

moving onto the signal source. the truck came with the optional jbl system and the navigation headunit, so the decision was made to retain it for now. we added the Mosconi AMAS high resolution bluetooth streaming device to the car, which also means that we had to locate the mosconi RCD dsp controller somewhere. so joey relocated some switch panels and made a front bezel and mounted the controller at the lower portion of the center stack:

here are two quick pics of that build, the controller was completely taken apart, and the guts removed, the front fascia was fabricated out of black acrylic, with the mounting hard points attached to it, and the circuit board was bolted in place behind the dash panel:

for front stage we went with a set of the newly release focal FLAX components, the 165FX. the midbass was installed int he stock location in the lower doors. first, new speaker wires were run intot he doors, and outer door panels received some black hole tile composite material:

the inner door panel recieved some STP foam and CLD damper around the speaker mounting:

i then fabricated these spacer baffles that matches the oem speaker's basket precisely, and coated them with several layers of truck bedliner to protect them against the elements:

the baffle was then bolted to the door:

and then i forgot to take pics of the speaker mounted on the driver side :D

but of course the same procedure was repeated on the passenger side, this time showing the speaker mounted haha

the outter door skin also received some CLD coverage to help with resonance:

the tweeters in the mean time, were molded into the oem a pillars, aimed about 60 degress off axis, a few inches infront of the opposite listener, the pillars were then rewrapped in grey vinyl:

here are a few construction pics of the pillars.

first, ring were aimed and attached to the stock pillars after some rough sanding to aid adhesion:

and then mold cloth was pulled, resin applied, allowed to cure, and then reinforced from the inside via a filler/resin mixture:

once that cured, filler went on and the two pods were sanded smooth and blended in:

then, the two pillars were wrapped in vinyl, the tweeters wired up and installed, and ready to go back into the truck:

next comes the wiring pics, mainly of the driver side, that houses all the signal and speaker wires, as the bundle travels from the front of the car to the back, ziptied and secured every few inches or less:

·
4,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
moving onto the main attraction of the build. when you flip the back seats down, here is what you see. a enclosure housing a single illusion audio carbon C10 and an amp rack with a arc audio xdi1200.6 6 channel amp have been integrated into the oem plastic housing. both are trimmed in light grey vinyl, with the amp stopped just short of the baby seat anchor on that side so it is still functional.

the illusion sub allows us to get a nice amount of output in a very tight space, while the little arc power houses is able to power the front components with 4x150 watts and the sub with 600 watts in a very small footprint:

lets take a closer look at how the relatively simple looking structure came together.

the first thing joey did was to reposition the oem JBL amp so it took up less room, here is the bracket that joey came up with to tuck it further back into the channel on the back wall:

here is that bracket attached to the stock amp:

after rivetnuts were placed, here is the stock amp bolted in place, and signals tapped:

here is joeys frame work for the back of the enclosure, room was left around the amp and fiberglass was laid over it to form that part of the back wall:

then the front portion of the enclosure was built, and the two parts secured together to form the enclosure:

the front trim piece was then constructed and secured to the enclosure:

the enclosure was then vinyled and ready to go back into the truck:

with the inside of the enclosure wired up and stuffed with blackhole stuff:

here is the trim panel for the amp, before and after vinyl. the outter cover for the arc 1200.6 amp is secured to this piece, so after tuning, the entire cover is press fit and secured via the mounting screws for the amp cover:

a metal amp rack was made to secure the amp behind the trim piece, is it is in place, after the mosconi 6to8v8 dsp has already been wired up and secured beneath it:

and finally, here is the arc amp fully wired up:

overall, a pretty simple and space saving project. the summing of the mosconi dsp worked well to obtain a decent signal from the jbl amp. overall staging and imaging is pretty good with good balance in tonality and sub output. the c10 works well again in the limited confines and the flax speakers once again proves that its a very balanced package. the 1200.6 also continues to give us a nice amp that can run a fully active two way system and sub with authority :)

cheers,

Bing

·
Registered
4,807 Posts
i hope you love what you do, the work you do is amazing and im guessing there is only going to be a lot more coming your way (id have liked the seat back perforated in front of the sub just to let a little more bass out ) yea yea omni directional butt

:)

·
Registered
537 Posts
Great job Bing!! You're always masterful!!? Tell the owner of the Taco to come down & bring the truck for the meet next weekend. I just like to know how does it sound?

·
Registered
889 Posts
Wow, another nice install. Any reason why the sub is pushed right to the bottom of the box?

·
Registered
180 Posts
Very clean install. I like how the flat load floor is still useful if the owner needed too....awesome use of limited space.

Sent from under your mom's bed

·
Registered
357 Posts
My favorite type of install! Lots of fabrication to make it look like OEM. Great job here

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk

·
4,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wow, another nice install. Any reason why the sub is pushed right to the bottom of the box?
Joey can confirm but i am pretty sure thats as far as it can go up to clear the back wall and the seat, keeping mind above that, the seat tapers and the stock amp still does take up a bit of room.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
How are you guys liked the XDi V2 amps? I have seen a couple of these 6 channels being used without seperate DSP and seems like people are happy. I don't see a 4to6 or 6to8 here and have been away for a bit so is this something else?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Very nice work on the sub enclosure guys. I know space is at a premium back there on those double cabs, especially when you leave that rear panel in place. Me likey!

·
4,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
How are you guys liked the XDi V2 amps? I have seen a couple of these 6 channels being used without seperate DSP and seems like people are happy. I don't see a 4to6 or 6to8 here and have been away for a bit so is this something else?
we have used them on three occasions so far, really enjoy them each and every time :)

cant wait until the full line up becomes available.

Bing

·
Premium Member
1,690 Posts
The truck was very quiet. I was initially a little concerned because the back of the seat is solid plastic, but it didn't seem to have any negative audible affects...

Beautiful install. Do you get any buzzing/vibration when the back seat is folded up?

·
Registered
390 Posts
Bing, looks like you have a shop now!?! Its been a few years since on been on here. Got my VW all squared away but now i have a few new cars to work on, so I'm back!
Its great to see your doing well and business looks like it is still booming! I wished I lived in San Jo still (and had the money) so you could do a build for me!! Your stuff always looks Amazing!! Always!

Anyway, question - why Did you leave the factory amp in? That arc is powering the Door speakers, isn't it?? What function does it provide?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts