DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

381 - 400 of 446 Posts

·
Premium Member
474 Posts
Well, if memory serves - the first ground point for the MoBridge and Helix DSP was the original ground point for the stock amp. This caused quit a large amount of hiss with the engine off and a nice hiss / whine with engine on. Changing the ground settings on the Helix has no affect on the sound. If we pulled the RCA out of the Helix - the amps were silent.

Mark moved it to a point in the upper fender well when he installed the MiniDSP and the noise was cut in half - lost the hiss, and the whine was cut in half with the engine on.

He recently moved it to the same grounding lug as the negative terminal of the battery, and the whine with the engine on was cut in half again. So fairly silent with the engine off (the car electronics make quite a bit of interesting noises), and a very small high pitched noise with the engine on - very livable - and it gets louder when the lights are turned on, but once the ballasts for the HIDs warm up, the noise reduces to that of the lights not being on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
looking good bud , im still perplexed about the noise issue , that car was dead silent when i had it never had a bit of noise ever , and nice upgrade on the door mounting , looks like the mdf did not hold up as i thought it would . great job mark !

·
Registered
4,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #384
Nice meeting you at finals this weekend.

Thanks for the demo.

J.

It was fantastic finally meeting you - one of the highlights for me at Finals.

Thank you so much for listening, providing constructive feedback, and especially being gracious enough to listen again after I made some changes. Your feedback was extremely helpful - before my fixes, and especially afterward to verify I was heading in the right direction.

I also very much enjoyed your track selection! I just enjoyed them again on the headphones. Well done!!! It was fantastic to get your verbal notes on several of the tracks - reason they were chosen, and what I need to listen for.

Your feedback on the tune and your hints / music were the most useful thing I took away from KY Thank You!

·
Registered
4,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #387
I had a good time this weekend at Finals - because I hung out with friends, and I had meaningful conversations with guys I hadn’t really spoken to before.

I drove down on Thursday - stopped for lunch at a rest stop - a convoy of Corvairs drove in after me - some zekes and freaks for sure.

Some very close calls with people slamming on their brakes close to Knoxville, but I finally made it. Went and washed the car, and parked it within site of the room (sure, a little paranoid)

Thursday night with Triple B and Greggers is always a great time. You may notice the t-shirt

Friday morning......ride with Ryan to wash his car, got back to the hotel and noticed mine was a wreck because of the rain the night before, so I had to take mine to re-wash it.....then it rained hard (great t-shirt)

Many amazing cars - so funny how I was in there all day Friday, Saturday, and half of Sunday, and I never once made a full circuit around the SQ area to look at cars, and didn’t go over to the SPL area

Random install pics

·
Registered
14 Posts
I had a good time this weekend at Finals - because I hung out with friends, and I had meaningful conversations with guys I hadn’t really spoken to before.

I drove down on Thursday - stopped for lunch at a rest stop - a convoy of Corvairs drove in after me - some zekes and freaks for sure.

Oooo you got all the sauce! those are some beautiful cars! awesome work by everyone

·
Registered
4,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #389
Beautiful sunrise from the hotel room Sunday morning, and beautiful sky on the frigid walk from the hotel.

This little guy was my mascot during the entire weekend - he was an Audi fan for sure!

Funny to try and figure out what Triple B was saying to the Cap’n Maybe some dance moves? Yoga?

And finally, I snapped a few quick shots of the car before packing up to leave on Sunday. Many stopped to take pics of the car and especially the amp rack, so it would be curious to see one of those.

·
Registered
4,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #391
Oooo you got all the sauce! those are some beautiful cars! awesome work by everyone

Speaking of sauce.....Triple B brought a jar of this, but it didn’t make it into my stuff

·
Registered
515 Posts
Great to meet you this weekend Jason. Got so busy on Sunday I never made it over to your car for a listen. I will have to try and get to your meet next year if you have it. Take care.

·
Registered
4,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #394
Great to meet you this weekend Jason. Got so busy on Sunday I never made it over to your car for a listen. I will have to try and get to your meet next year if you have it. Take care.

I know my friend - I felt bad about that because I really wanted your feedback and to hear your car (sorry, can’t remember if it was there - almost 50.....). We should have just accomplished that on Saturday I didn’t end up getting there until about 0930 on Sunday, and I had to checkout by 1.

It would be great if you could make it to Jason Carter’s shindig in Augusta in November - if not, certainly to mine in May

·
18,390 Posts
Jason, I thought it was really interesting at the 13:10 mark in the video where you mentioned that with some songs you can hear the up front sub behind you. I noticed that a couple times when I was demoing it. I didn't even bother to mention it to you because there's nothing you can do about it. I had the same thing happen in my old civic when I was running the Illusion C10's up front; some songs would sound like there was a sub behind me. But I did talk to Nick about it and he said you two talked about it in the video. And it's not tactile. It just literally sounds like there's a subwoofer behind you. It's definitely an oddity but like you said in the video: "it's one of those weird car audio things". Not much you can do about that... just the car side of car audio.

·
Registered
4,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #399
Jason, I thought it was really interesting at the 13:10 mark in the video where you mentioned that with some songs you can hear the up front sub behind you. I noticed that a couple times when I was demoing it. I didn't even bother to mention it to you because there's nothing you can do about it. I had the same thing happen in my old civic when I was running the Illusion C10's up front; some songs would sound like there was a sub behind me. But I did talk to Nick about it and he said you two talked about it in the video. And it's not tactile. It just literally sounds like there's a subwoofer behind you. It's definitely an oddity but like you said in the video: "it's one of those weird car audio things". Not much you can do about that... just the car side of car audio.

It is interesting that you bring this up because it leads to two other ‘car audio’ issues.

Oversees we used to say ‘TIA’ - This Is Afghanistan.......in some movies, TIA means ‘This is Africa’, well, it can be adapted to ‘TICA’......

On Saturday, the car was parked overnight in the venue, but it dropped over 20 degrees as a cold front moved in. So, either that temp change caused it or something wonky in the DSP......ALL of my sub sound was Under my seat - absolutely bizarre! I had poor Ryan getting in and out trying different things. Finally, out of frustration, I disconnected the car and pulled it out and over to the hotel parking lot to retune. Unfortunately, it didn’t change....I almost left it there and walked back.

With my faulty memory and lack of note taking, I can’t honestly remember when things changed with the tune - whether it was before or after I got judged or when you demoed it. I remember Bruce getting in and commenting that he wasn’t hearing it under him - it was up front (‘not like on the hood up front, but definitely not under me’ ).

So that was a situation where either weather or a strange DSP thing (or weird ear thing) that was driving me crazy with the sub sound - not something one has with headphones or 2 channel audio.

The other thing that was a cool was something I learned from Michael Myers (such an awesome dude). The only CD I happened to bring with me was Jason Hale’s 2019 Nashville Meet disc - I played that in Mike’s car and commented about some tones imaging at the mid bass drivers in the doors on some cars - a little less on his. He mentioned that some of those tracks I was playing had those mid bass tones likely out of phase in the mixing so they would be exaggeratedly wide in the sound stage. I had not considered that before, but it made a lot of sense. On one particular track from Dispatch, I told him that the acoustic guitar imaged right at the doors - and low down on my tower speakers in the 2 channel - weird phenomenon. I felt this could be something that I could experience during a demo that might cause me to tell someone that their stage sometimes ‘rainbowed’ or it could even have the effect of seemingly pulling the stage to the rear when it is the mid bass drivers imaging at the speaker and not the sub.

It was kind of troubling to listen to Scott Butler’s car and Steve Weigner’s Van and hear subs that are in the rear of the car play such incredibly low tones past the windshield - when I struggle to do that even with a up front sub.

This is one that was on my mix disc that pushed the imaging of the sub in some of the rear sub cars.

https://youtu.be/xD90F0jt36g

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
No - you didn’t miss build pics of the sub enclosure - I’m keeping those to myself - I think it will be fun for me to see listeners responses without prior knowledge - and I think the mystery of ‘how he did it’ is a little fun.

And no - there is no hole cut in the floor

Now the competition weekend is over. Can you share the subwoofer install?

381 - 400 of 446 Posts