DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

401 - 420 of 474 Posts

·
Registered
4,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #401
Now the competition weekend is over. Can you share the subwoofer install?

Too funny! Mark re-sent the pics today

So yes, I’m going to post them up when I get a few minutes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
On Saturday, the car was parked overnight in the venue, but it dropped over 20 degrees as a cold front moved in. So, either that temp change caused it or something wonky in the DSP......ALL of my sub sound was Under my seat - absolutely bizarre! I had poor Ryan getting in and out trying different things. Finally, out of frustration, I disconnected the car and pulled it out and over to the hotel parking lot to retune. Unfortunately, it didn’t change....I almost left it there and walked back.

With my faulty memory and lack of note taking, I can’t honestly remember when things changed with the tune - whether it was before or after I got judged or when you demoed it. I remember Bruce getting in and commenting that he wasn’t hearing it under him - it was up front (‘not like on the hood up front, but definitely not under me’ ).

So that was a situation where either weather or a strange DSP thing (or weird ear thing) that was driving me crazy with the sub sound - not something one has with headphones or 2 channel audio.
Absolutely leak free sealed subs can experience a change in internal pressure with large temperature swings, and suspensions can sometimes change compliance, both could cause what you experienced.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Absolutely leak free sealed subs can experience a change in internal pressure with large temperature swings, and suspensions can sometimes change compliance, both could cause what you experienced.
Dammit man. Our DSPs only have a few presets to work with. :) But good point on how temp can affect the subs though I didn’t expect it would be quite that noticeable. Further (scientific) testing on the subject would be nice, maybe comparing a cold morning to a warmer afternoon or a heater in the mix.

·
Registered
4,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #404

I didn’t here a lot of chatter about the temp change with others, so if I’m the only one that experienced something with the sub, then it probably wasn’t environmental. For sure, there was a lot of talk about environmental issues at SVR last year - moving into that big dome like building changed pressures, etc. and many retuned when they got in there.

More likely it was my ears or possibly something with the DSP, but I don’t want that to be the answer either

·
Human (not a robot)
2,365 Posts
Somebody put a secret extra sub in the trunk without you knowing it!! Its a conspeerasee!!!!11

I think the appropriate repair method is the following:
1) Take your car to the highest point in Randleman or surrounding. I looked up Knoxville and its 886' above sea level and Randleman is only 705'
2) Remove ALL personal belongings from the car since this could cause reflections or possibly touch metal to metal
3) Pour a small amount of gasoline or lighter fluid on a rag and wipe down all the exterior surfaces to remove and debris that could rattle
4) light car on fire with said rag
5) roll car down hill

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Jason, I wonder if the position of the rear seat back has anything to do with it?

Maybe with the seat back down (when displaying the amps) there is a change in the reflective energy off of that stout amp rack... Whereas that energy may be dampened and or trapped with the seat back up?

·
Registered
4,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #407
Somebody put a secret extra sub in the trunk without you knowing it!! Its a conspeerasee!!!!11

I think the appropriate repair method is the following:
1) Take your car to the highest point in Randleman or surrounding. I looked up Knoxville and its 886' above sea level and Randleman is only 705'
2) Remove ALL personal belongings from the car since this could cause reflections or possibly touch metal to metal
3) Pour a small amount of gasoline or lighter fluid on a rag and wipe down all the exterior surfaces to remove and debris that could rattle
4) light car on fire with said rag
5) roll car down hill
That suggestion sounds familiar :laugh:

Jason, I wonder if the position of the rear seat back has anything to do with it?

Maybe with the seat back down (when displaying the amps) there is a change in the reflective energy off of that stout amp rack... Whereas that energy may be dampened and or trapped with the seat back up?
Hmmmm - that is very interesting - I'm going to have to try that. Pretty easy experiment that even I could handle. I literally drove the car to the airport and back this week and to breakfast this morning and back since Finals.....I haven't even put the headrests back in on the back seats.......and boy, the inside needs to be cleaned again after all of those chips :(

·
Registered
4,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #408
I didn’t here a lot of chatter about the temp change with others, so if I’m the only one that experienced something with the sub, then it probably wasn’t environmental. For sure, there was a lot of talk about environmental issues at SVR last year - moving into that big dome like building changed pressures, etc. and many retuned when they got in there.

More likely it was my ears or possibly something with the DSP, but I don’t want that to be the answer either

I have it on good authority that many others had issues with the temp / humidity change on Saturday......but they were able to tweak the tune (mature tune, knew car intimately, knew how to tune) during that day to adapt for the conditions.

With the leather, carpet, layers of materials - it shouldn't be a huge difference from the seats, but I'll try to check it out today.

·
Registered
4,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #409 (Edited)
I have had a few people ask about the sub set up in this car. I'm going to explain the 'why' and then provide some photos.

Ian had this car before me, and he had great success with an Audiofrog GB12 in sealed box. It was easy to remove, and he tuned it effectively to image in the front of the car. He toyed with the idea of adding another GB12 or going with two SI BM mkV's - he actually built a box to mount two mkV's - and provided it with the car.

So I had some good ideas to run with when I bought the car.....along with an IB wall....or IB off the back deck like Ron Baker's A6. I recently talked to Jason Carter who gave me all kinds of 'dude, you could have....' :p........but I had a different idea.

I really liked the sub in the BRZ. Though it didn't play down to 5 hz, and it didn't completely pressurize the inside of the cabin, it did everything that I wanted it to do for the music I wish to reproduce. Sure, like everyone else, I love sitting in Bill's FJ and marveling at the prodigious bass that is reproduced flawlessly. But car audio being a balancing act, an upfront sub is what I asked Mark to install.

Though.....I did request a different execution from the BRZ. That sub was sitting under the glove box, on the floor. It was a slick install that looked good and performed well. The sacrifice of foot space was something I wanted to avoid this time around. I remembered the install that Mark accomplished in Steve's Mazda 3 - SI BM mk 3 or 4 in the glove box. I mentioned it to him, and of course he was game.

Stock glove box

Mark pulled the large glove box out and started to evaluate the various motors, plastic pieces, metal structures, etc. to see if he could get the space needed with using a sawzall to the entire area. I had asked him to retain as much as possible or at least be able to put things back to 'stock' at some point. He was able to remove some things without doing any cutting - mission accomplished!

This came up at Finals when Matt asked to see pics, etc. of the sub install. From what he observed and what I explained, he decided it qualified for Modified. As I mentioned in the video, Mark had to evaluate if firing up or firing down would work best - to get the enclosure size needed, to not cause a lot of tactile feedback (either sound pressure waves on legs or vibrations on other surfaces under the dash), and whether we get a lot of sass from other components in the dash. There wasn't really any way to test this before building....he had to do it, and if it failed, he would have to re-engineer.

Genuine, expensive Audi dash guts.....

The space either shrinks or the woofer gets much bigger when you are test fitting it :eek:

I might get some of these pics out of order, but he started with taping things up, then making a 'shell' out of MDF, and then glassing it up......his goal was to get as close to 0.65 cu ft as he could, and that is why it has a cool, funky outline - what he needed to do to get the airspace.

Starting to replace the MDF with glass......

And then there was the test fitting into the dash......the dash had a weird twist to it that you can make out in some of these pics - the stock glove box door wasn't symmetrical.

This is the best shot to show the orientation of the sub in the space - again, we weren't sure what it was going to sound like firing into a small amount of space within the dash.

Mark really wanted to use three 0.25 in Type 1 rings that were drilled and tapped for 10/24 tpi screws with this enclosure - basically fiberglass and Type 1 vs MDF.

I thought this was a really cool shot - I was glad he grabbed it

At this point, it was getting some trim pieces made, and putting leather on the panel facing the cabin of the car. Mark install carpet to the underneath of the enclosure - and there is plenty of space for my feet underneath the enclosure.

This is the finished product.....at Finals, even when I pointed at the enclosure and explained I had a sub 'in there' - I received some double takes......they would squat down to see if they could see the cone 'hanging out' below the dash. Pretty much incredulity was the common reaction. Some had to hear it to believe it. ;)

Again, it is not going to play a 5 hz note that will cause nausea......and it won't do hair tricks with Big Al.......but for my needs, it will play with authority......and with finesse (which to me is as important). Mark accomplished exactly what I asked for.....and then some. So, if you see the Audi at a meet or a show, ask for a demo!

·
Premium Member
1,168 Posts
Great timing, I watched your video that Nick posted earlier today and was wondering how that enclosure was built.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Jason is too humble to post this himself so I’m gonna do it for him…

Great walkthrough. Thanks Nick and Jason for teaming up to put this together. :)
before see and send this video to a friend, he told me about this thread... :)

amazing...

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Wow. That’s outstanding. I so wish my wife would let me take over the two glove compartments in her Toyota Sienna minivan but she won’t let me do anything more than take the rear side of the van for a sub. Oh well.

·
Registered
733 Posts
There's so much stuff inside the dash. Does it cause any vibration noise?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #419
The Audi innie build...I love it!

Is that a bald joke? :bash:

So true my friend.....the BRZ was an outie, and the Audi is an innie.....I love the way you look at the world!

That mental image is seared into my mind......hair trick with your chest hairs......wow!

·
Registered
4,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #420
There's so much stuff inside the dash. Does it cause any vibration noise?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Surprisingly no - I’ve played some hard hitting stuff at good volume.....nothin’.

https://youtu.be/lHRAPIwsS5I

401 - 420 of 474 Posts