DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

421 - 440 of 474 Posts

·
Registered
2,452 Posts

The space either shrinks or the woofer gets much bigger when you are test fitting it :eek:
This picture is great, seeing how big the sub looks there makes it all the more amazing to me that the whole enclosure is so well integrated.

This is the finished product.....at Finals, even when I pointed at the enclosure and explained I had a sub 'in there' - I received some double takes......they would squat down to see if they could see the cone 'hanging out' below the dash. Pretty much incredulity was the common reaction. Some had to hear it to believe it. ;)
I can believe you got double takes, if it were not for the missing glovebox handle I never would have figured it out at my meet here in September.... and yes, I also had to squat down and take a look. Not so much to see if the sub was visible, but to really take in just how hidden and stealth the install is.

I demoed a variety of songs at varying output levels and didn't hear any vibrations or buzzes in the dash.
Yep, you'd never know a sub was in the dash from vibration or buzzing.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Jason, your car looks phenomenal. Mark, as usual did a killer job on the Audi.

I was curious as to what the reasoning for swiching from MDF to FG for the sub? Was the MDF only there for molding purpose? Is the FG final due to weight?

·
Registered
4,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #427
Jason, your car looks phenomenal. Mark, as usual did a killer job on the Audi.

I was curious as to what the reasoning for swiching from MDF to FG for the sub? Was the MDF only there for molding purpose? Is the FG final due to weight?

Thanks! Great question Juan! I hope you are well.

The MDF was used as a mold or plug for the fiberglass enclosure surfaces. Mark used 8 layers of 1.5 oz mat. Because of the intricate shape needed to clear various brackets and to use all the available nooks and crannies, an MDF enclosure would have been too large. The fiberglass enclosure was extremely rigid and light compared to what a comparative MDF enclosure would have been. Another cool feature is that Mark was able to secure the enclosure with factory mounting points. He also wanted me to post a disclaimer......no mermaids or unicorns were harmed I the construction of this enclosure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
Jason, the Audi install looks phenomenal!

Thanks for sharing the build pics and build process of the glovebox subwoofer enclosure. That's some super clean fabrication work! And yeah, just WOW!...that amp rack is a thing of beauty. Mark knocked it outta' the park once again!

And I'm glad that the glovebox subwoofer worked out acoustically as well. As you said, there was no way to know for sure until all of that custom work had been completed. :surprised:

Props to Nick Apicella as well for the excellent system tour video in Louisville. You did a fine job of thoroughly and eloquently explaining the entire system and also your reasoning behind the goals for this install.

There was a really nice selection of SQ tracks up on the OEM HU display at one point during the video, too. :)

I'm sure the car and the audio system put a smile on your face every day. :) :thumbsup:

·
Registered
4,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #430
I had a question come up about the material used for the rings for the mid bass drivers. Mark used 0.75” HDPE, apparently also known as King Starboard, that cuts very smoothly - physically attached to Type 1 ABS. The rings were drilled and tapped to accept the screws securing the speakers to the door.

·
Registered
4,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #431
Thought this was a cool shot walking out to the car yesterday - I had a bunch of stuff I was carrying that I should have put down, but I already felt odd taking a pic of my car - the others in the parking lot were giving me strange looks

·
Registered
98 Posts
I had a question come up about the material used for the rings for the mid bass drivers. Mark used 0.75” HDPE, apparently also known as King Starboard, that cuts very smoothly - physically attached to Type 1 ABS. The rings were drilled and tapped to accept the screws securing the speakers to the door.
Do you know what the advantages are to using the two types of material and not just one or the other? Never seen that before.

·
Premium Member
714 Posts
Do you know what the advantages are to using the two types of material and not just one or the other? Never seen that before.
Don't know this for sure, but I used some HDPE on my mid rings and over time, they cracked. The metal behind them was not quite flat and I didn't catch that, so maybe he used ABS to prevent that???

·
Registered
4,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #434

Mark used it to provide extra support for the hdpe, which is a softer material than type 1.
He uses the type 1 as an anchor point for the tapped and threaded holes. Also a firmer landing against the door, less chance of warping.

·
Premium Member
475 Posts
Wow Jason the sub box build is awesome !! i would have loved to have that and my gb's in trunk ! lol

·
Registered
4,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #439
A big thank you to Mic Wallace for helping me swap my mid bass drivers.

There wasn’t anything ‘wrong’ with the Illusion Audio drivers, I just wanted to try a different driver. I received quite a few recommendations at Finals, and my friend Steve highly recommended Dynaudio mid bass drivers for what he perceived as my preferences and the tune I have in the car. With the sub up front, that has a bearing on the drivers in the door (I don’t necessarily need drivers to reach down to 50hz).

I picked up a pair of Dynaudio mw170 mid bass drivers on the recommendation of my friend Adam. He connected me with a seller on FB, and I received a pair of NIB drivers. I’m enjoying these drivers though they haven’t fully broken in.

Mic was able to utilize one of the rings that Mark had made, and he added a birch ring to give me the depth needed. Audi thought it would be cool to place a bar right behind the speaker.

But with the spacer rings, we were able to get the speaker in with adequate space between the surround and the door card.

421 - 440 of 474 Posts