DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

441 - 460 of 515 Posts

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
Happy New Year, J!

Not sure how I missed this! But...

Mmmmm...some Dynaudio goodness. :) I'm interested in your impressions with the swap from the Illusion C8's once the MW170 are broken in.

The midbass drivers always seem to be the most vehicle-dependent drivers in regards to "system integration"...

What you think will work well sometimes do, but sometimes don't. There's some type of "synergy" thing going on, I guess. I've been really surprised by a few drivers that I didn't expect to be impressed by. They just "integrated" well into the system as a whole, even though measurements didn't really reveal anything special or too unique that you could put a finger on. IDK?

Anyway, it's hard to go wrong with the Dyns! :)

·
Registered
4,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #442
Happy New Year, J!

Not sure how I missed this! But...

Mmmmm...some Dynaudio goodness. :) I'm interested in your impressions with the swap from the Illusion C8's once the MW170 are broken in.

The midbass drivers always seem to be the most vehicle-dependent drivers in regards to "system integration"...

What you think will work well sometimes do, but sometimes don't. There's some type of "synergy" thing going on, I guess. I've been really surprised by a few drivers that I didn't expect to be impressed by. They just "integrated" well into the system as a whole, even though measurements didn't really reveal anything special or too unique that you could put a finger on. IDK?

Anyway, it's hard to go wrong with the Dyns! :)
Happy New Year Billy!

The Dyn’s are broken in now, and I’ve had a little time to evaluate them. This was one of those changes for change sake - there wasn’t this huge problem with the C8’s that I was trying to fix. Mostly impressions from others who have used them and other drivers that ‘poisoned’ my view of the C8. To be fair - they weren’t doing that purposefully, and the C8’s are known for digging deep and pounding! Well, the way I’m using the mid bass drivers in my system, I don’t need them to dig deep and pound! (Not necessarily looking for mind numbing bass ) - that was for Ian.

A few folks suggested the Dyn’s, and particularly these mw170’s for their more ‘musical’ qualities - especially in the upper midrange - and a bit more snappy response.

I feel that I’m getting both of those qualities from these drivers - now, of course, that may just be expectation bias. But......unless something untoward happens to them, I’m very satisfied - not interested in looking further.

I’m tweaking the tune - trying different things, so it will be interesting as I continue to evaluate them. This 6db slope tune I’m playing with has been fun in regards to hearing their upper and lower frequency limits

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Premium Member
3,750 Posts
I’m tweaking the tune - trying different things, so it will be interesting as I continue to evaluate them. This 6db slope tune I’m playing with has been fun in regards to hearing their upper and lower frequency limits
:cautious:?:censored:

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
Happy New Year Billy!

The Dyn’s are broken in now, and I’ve had a little time to evaluate them. This was one of those changes for change sake - there wasn’t this huge problem with the C8’s that I was trying to fix. Mostly impressions from others who have used them and other drivers that ‘poisoned’ my view of the C8. To be fair - they weren’t doing that purposefully, and the C8’s are known for digging deep and pounding! Well, the way I’m using the mid bass drivers in my system, I don’t need them to dig deep and pound! (Not necessarily looking for mind numbing bass ) - that was for Ian.

A few folks suggested the Dyn’s, and particularly these mw170’s for their more ‘musical’ qualities - especially in the upper midrange - and a bit more snappy response.

I feel that I’m getting both of those qualities from these drivers - now, of course, that may just be expectation bias. But......unless something untoward happens to them, I’m very satisfied - not interested in looking further.

Thanks for your thoughts and impressions on the Dyn swap. Makes perfect sense to me. :)

And I know exactly what you mean in terms of the "musicality" of the Dyn's in comparison to the C8's and others. I've basically experienced the same result using the 10" Ciare midbass drivers that I got from Erin's previous Civic install. They are just so much more "musical" and detailed compared to 95% of the other midbass drivers I've used. I do still love the old Peerless XLS 8", tho'. But the Ciare's are a bit special. (Thanks Erin!)

LOL, Mic. Don't pop a vein, man! :p

Honestly, 6dB slopes can surely create their own set of issues, but in my GF's vehicle/setup in particular, I keep circling back to using 6dB slopes between the subs and midbass. So far they have provided the absolute best "up front bass", with significant beyond-the-windshield soundstage depth, extremely detailed & focused L/R imaging of the lower octave info, along with excellent bass/midbass transients and dynamic realism.

So I'm going to stick with what works there! It's honestly better than I ever expected to achieve in this particular system given the equipment used, and basically just using slightly modified stock locations.

Unfortunately, it seems that I've unconsciously been using my GF's daily-driver vehicle for most of my "experiments", LOL. She mentioned just the other day that she loves the setup and that it sounds great, but why am I not "doing a bunch of stuff" in my other personal vehicles??? ? Guess I better leave well-enough alone, haha. :)

Realistically, in my other vehicles I have done quite a bit of tuning and experimenting, and the shallow slopes don't seem to work as well, or not any better than more traditional alignments, and it causes other issues that are more detrimental in those setups. So... :shruggs:

Anyway, I'm happy that the time and expense for the swap ended up in a positive result in the S4. (y) Happy tuning... :)

·
Listener of Music
3,038 Posts
This is the first time I checked this since you first started it. Hearing about it from everyone I felt like I already knew, but damn I didn't. This is simple and flashy in all the right places. Wonderful. Because I compare every car to your BRZ I'm sure this sounds fantastic. So why not throw the glove box handle on to add the final touch of concealment?
It seems that cutting a hole for the non-functional handle wouldn't even require removal of the enclosure? I thought I noticed that panel does not help seal the box? I would love to see people not even believe it was in there

I have a question. You definitely love the fact that know one knows where the subs is and the surprising impact it gets from that install location.

·
686 Posts
@bertholomey Wow, I feel so outta touch with car audio these days. I've been digging around the Head-Fi rabbit hole for the past year or so. That bug bit me hard. Like, my leisure reading is vacuum tube theory. Anyway I had no idea you sold the BRZ and built this Audi! This is an AMAZING install Jason. Congrats to you and a job well done to Mark. I'm very glad to see you running the miniDSP 8x12 DL. I'm going to be installing that myself this spring. BTW, if you guys do another NCSQ T-shirt order, can a brother get on the list?? I never did get one when I was there. Stay up, my friend!

·
Registered
4,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #448
This is the first time I checked this since you first started it. Hearing about it from everyone I felt like I already knew, but damn I didn't. This is simple and flashy in all the right places. Wonderful. Because I compare every car to your BRZ I'm sure this sounds fantastic. So why not throw the glove box handle on to add the final touch of concealment?
It seems that cutting a hole for the non-functional handle wouldn't even require removal of the enclosure? I thought I noticed that panel does not help seal the box? I would love to see people not even believe it was in there

I have a question. You definitely love the fact that know one knows where the subs is and the surprising impact it gets from that install location.
Thank you so much for this reply......I had very little direct influence in the final outcome, and that is probably a good thing. Mark was given free license to execute his vision, and I think you stated it properly, "simple and flashy in all the right places".

Good thoughts on the glove box door.....the original thought was to utilize the outside 'door', but concerns about rattles, and getting the needed air space of the enclosure caused us to abandon the idea. Even without the outer facade of the glove box, it is still fairly universal that folks question their eyes / ears when they sit in the driver's seat - that is groovy to me.

·
Registered
4,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #449
@bertholomey Wow, I feel so outta touch with car audio these days. I've been digging around the Head-Fi rabbit hole for the past year or so. That bug bit me hard. Like, my leisure reading is vacuum tube theory. Anyway I had no idea you sold the BRZ and built this Audi! This is an AMAZING install Jason. Congrats to you and a job well done to Mark. I'm very glad to see you running the miniDSP 8x12 DL. I'm going to be installing that myself this spring. BTW, if you guys do another NCSQ T-shirt order, can a brother get on the list?? I never did get one when I was there. Stay up, my friend!
That rabbit hole can get deep and wide my friend.......I have been in it myself. A new amp and new speakers have been my most recent downfall :) I pop a few pics in here for ya.

Yep - it has been a fairly wild ride (about as wild as I get) with the transition from the BRZ to the S4 - pretty cool story in my opinion. Thank you for the compliments on the build - Mark did a wonderful job! Tuning still continues, but I'm really enjoying the MiniDSP. I think you will like what it provides. We are doing another NCSQ Meet, but I'm not sure about T-Shirts - we will see. It would be great if you were able to make it down for the meet :)

2020 NCSQ Meet: 1-3 MAY 2020 near Greensboro, NC

·
Registered
4,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #450
I had some form of chemical contamination on the car from an unknown source. The surface appeared to have water spots, and it was rough to the touch. I took it to Shine Shop Automotive for a quote. Scott concludes that it certainly was a contamination that would have to be removed, and a top coat would need to be reapplied.

I mentioned this to my chiropractor Jeremy, and he gave me the name of a fella who was starting out in the detailing business who had done great work for Jeremy. I contacted Nevan, and he came over to the house the next day to take a look. He agreed that there was a chemical and physical contamination of the surface, and the ceramic coating that was applied 2-3 years earlier may be weakening in some sections (doors, trunk are where expected).

He came over Monday and yesterday to complete the job, and did a great job.

Started with a good double soak and rinse.

Then he used an iron remover to do the chemical decontamination.

Then clay bar for the physical decontamination.

Then mild polish to correct for micro scratches, etc. He determined that there was no additional benefit to going to a stronger polish or a deeper pad based on the test spot that he worked on. He said the paint was in exceptional shape.

He is using this particular coating from Gtechniq - base coat and top coat - that he hasn’t used before, but he was impressed with the ease of application and performance during application. He explained what he was seeing, but kind of outside my experience / knowledge. He applied the base coat and let it cure overnight.

He came back yesterday to apply the top coat, work on the glass, trim, and tires. He will return in 5-6 months to check the top coat and reapply (whether needed or not), as this is his first (but not last) use of this product. He takes a lot of his cues from Matt at The Obsessed Garage.

Finished project - in the garage - it is rainy and dreary outside so no outside pics yet.

I have a short little video showing the surface, but I’m having trouble getting the vid into my YouTube channel to clip it in here (Tapatalk won’t let me clip the vid straight in).

Took these this morning after a work out.

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Nice looking job. I’m also a detailer DIY geek and it looks like he followed the steps well and has some good equipment (Rupes polisher). I haven’t used the Gtechniq ceramic but they make good products. Your car should be good to go for another 6-12 months. Nice!

·
Registered
4,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #454
Looks sweet! Mine is dirty as hell from all the rain we've had lately. What'd you do with your cf mirrors etc?
Thanks! He didn’t polish them because he was concerned about possibly going to deep into the clear on them, but he put on the base coat and top coat on the mirror caps. I don’t think he coated the rear diffuser.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Looks great! Can’t wait to see it in person. I can personally vouch for Gtech coatings. They are worth while for sure. You will be pleased.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
76 Posts
Thanks! He didn’t polish them because he was concerned about possibly going to deep into the clear on them, but he put on the base coat and top coat on the mirror caps. I don’t think he coated the rear diffuser.

What a magnificent car and install! So tastefully done.

Question if I may- I read early on that you were considering the Kenwood 9905S head unit. Maybe I missed it but did you go with that?

And if so, are you happy with it and all its functions? Are you using the CD/DVD player?

Or did you go with a different unit.

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #457
What a magnificent car and install! So tastefully done.

Question if I may- I read early on that you were considering the Kenwood 9905S head unit. Maybe I missed it but did you go with that?

And if so, are you happy with it and all its functions? Are you using the CD/DVD player?

Or did you go with a different unit.

Thanks!
Thank You!

No, I believe several of my buds have that head unit, but not me. The Audi AMI is all integrated, so adding an aftermarket head unit would have been a pill (I.e. adding a Sony piece in the glove box, wait.....no more glove box.....dang!)

So I’m using the Audi stock head unit CD/DVD as one of my sources.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Thank You!

No, I believe several of my buds have that head unit, but not me. The Audi AMI is all integrated, so adding an aftermarket head unit would have been a pill (I.e. adding a Sony piece in the glove box, wait.....no more glove box.....dang!)

So I’m using the Audi stock head unit CD/DVD as one of my sources.

Ah. Thank you.

Do you find that you are using the CD/DVD to an appreciable extent? I am considering that Kenwood unit but it's been pointed out to me by a prospective installer that not many use CD's any longer as it's easier to load all your CD's onto a thumb drive(he did not address DVD usage though). Also reasoning that most new units coming out don't have the CD/DVD for that reason. But I am thinking that maybe it's more of a cost cutting thing.

·
Registered
4,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #459
Ah. Thank you.

Do you find that you are using the CD/DVD to an appreciable extent? I am considering that Kenwood unit but it's been pointed out to me by a prospective installer that not many use CD's any longer as it's easier to load all your CD's onto a thumb drive(he did not address DVD usage though). Also reasoning that most new units coming out don't have the CD/DVD for that reason. But I am thinking that maybe it's more of a cost cutting thing.
My experience may not be representative because I have two SD cards full of music that stay in the car and are run through the MMI system. I also use a DAP connected to the DSP quite a bit as well. I still think having a CD Drive is a bonus even though it isn’t ‘necessary’ anymore. For convenience, grab a disc on the way out the door.....a lot of mix discs from meets are on discs (that I have ripped on to other media), it ‘seeing’ the disc a lot of times motivates you to listen to it versus a listing of albums in a digital format. So again, not necessary, but a nice to have - especially or demos at a meet.

·
Registered
76 Posts
My experience may not be representative because I have two SD cards full of music that stay in the car and are run through the MMI system. I also use a DAP connected to the DSP quite a bit as well. I still think having a CD Drive is a bonus even though it isn’t ‘necessary’ anymore. For convenience, grab a disc on the way out the door.....a lot of mix discs from meets are on discs (that I have ripped on to other media), it ‘seeing’ the disc a lot of times motivates you to listen to it versus a listing of albums in a digital format. So again, not necessary, but a nice to have - especially or demos at a meet.

Great. Thanks.
I'm meeting up with the ARC Audio installer today who was a competitor, buddies and a co-worker of Brian Mitchell. I know I'm in good hands and told him I'm wanting to get the Kenwood on amazon. He is recommending the Sony AX5000. A good unit but seems inferior to the 9905S in many ways. I'll revisit that with him today.

I'll be doing a complete ARC install in my SLK so hopefully he'll take pictures of it all for me to share.

Thank you.

441 - 460 of 515 Posts