DIYMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

2015 Audi S4 - Sinfoni, MiniDSP, Audison Thesis, Stereo Integrity

163K views 696 replies 97 participants last post by  bertholomey 
#1 ·
I said goodbye to my beloved 2013 Subaru BRZ this past week. I enjoyed that car for six years, and took the system as far as I could with the help of Mark Worrell (Install) and John Kiser (Tuning). I competed with it, but mostly just enjoyed the heck out of it.

2013 Subaru BRZ Build Thread

I had the privilege of selling the car to a good friend who will take the system to a new level I don't doubt. I was very fortunate to find someone who appreciated the quality of the install, the quality of the sound potential in this car, and who has the skill to take what is already there and improve upon it. As I'm typing this, he has already completed the new install (he got the car on Tuesday!).

I'm going to try to not be too wordy, but those who know me know that is impossible.

I hosted an NCSQ Spring Meet in April of 2018 - the weather on Friday / Sunday was splendid, but the weather on the actual day of the event was abysmal. But.....I had the pleasure of driving Bo's new Audi RS3, and I had the privilege of meeting Ian and admiring his 2015 Audi S4. I was the first to hear it on Friday night, and I was very impressed with the sound.......I had no idea that in 2 days, he would score higher than me in the IASCA comp :eek: Mic said that in all his years of car audio competition, he has never seen someone buy a competitor's car because he was outscored by 1 point :D

I had the opportunity to drive the S4 on that Sunday, and my obsession began. Fast forward to about two weeks ago.....and Ian and I came to an accord......we would swap cars. There are many, many things he is doing to the BRZ to improve it, and I'm looking forward to seeing these improvements in early May 2019 at the 2019 NCSQ Spring Meet.

Meet Pics

Pics that drove my obsession.....Thanks Ian for providing these......it 'helped'.....

During the meet, I took a few pics of potential install locations

Sub Location?

Tweeter in sail

Ian already has Illusion Audio nd8 mid bass drivers in the doors. I like the stock look.

Love this wheel!

Ian already has the Audison Thesis 3" drivers in the dash - bonus that is the same driver that I had in the BRZ.....

Some pics after it's first washing this week. These are very amateurish pics.....it was a beautiful morning with incredible fog and vapor coming off of the lake - really wish I could have taken down the road to get pics next to the lake......but a huge pick up crashing into the new car would be disappointing.

Amazing machine in my garage!

The Install Plan:

Source

Stock Head Unit
FiiO X5iii (USB hopefully)
iPhone X (USB)

To MObridge DA-3 and Toslink out to processor

Processor

Helix Pro mkii + Director

Amplification

Mosconi Class A - Tweeters (100 watts x2)
Mosconi Zero3 - Mid Range (250 watts x2)
Mosconi AS200.4 - Mid Bass (200 watts x2) + Sub (900 watts x1)

Speakers

Audison Thesis 1.5 ii Tweeter - mounted in sails
Audison Thesis 3.0 Mid Range - mounted in dash (depending on Mark's recommendation and possibly our evaluation during tuning, the mids may end up in the pillars - I hope not......I like the stock look)
Illusion Audio nd8 Mid Bass - mounted in doors
Subwoofer - Stereo Integrity BM mkV - location pending

I'll be taking the car to Mark Worrell - still figuring out the timing on that.

Some pics I took today after pulling off the front carbon spoiler - I hated pulling it off....but too many entrances to parking lots that would cause me to tear it up.......and we have dead raccoons, possums and the like that would certainly get scooped up by the spoiler......guys who drive these in NYC, SF, and LA don't have to worry so much about those......

See less See more
#5 ·
Loving the pictures of it! I think you should take the chance and leave the lip on.... hahaha, but that’s the kid inside me talking lol. Definitely in for the install, info, and good conversation like the last thread. I’m going to have to go for a ride in the beast sometime...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#10 ·
^^^ lmao!!

Funny that the S4 seems to be a go-to on here lately.... Is it 3 or 4 that I’ve seen built?

Regardless- stunning car and hope to see some magic happening soon! Congrats

#24 ·
We’re twins, right down to the daytona gray!! Beautiful ride man! Looking forward to seeing what you do next! Congrats and welcome to the Audi family [emoji41]

I’ve really enjoyed your build thread. They did an amazing job with the install! Absolutely stellar! Thank you for the welcome! If I’m out in AZ sometime - I’ll touch base [emoji6]

#13 ·
Some pics I took today after pulling off the front carbon spoiler - I hated pulling it off....but too many entrances to parking lots that would cause me to tear it up.......and we have dead raccoons, possums and the like that would certainly get scooped up by the spoiler......guys who drive these in NYC, SF, and LA don't have to worry so much about those......
I actually prefer the look of the car without the spoiler. Win, win.

I look forward to seeing what you do with this but most importantly I look forward to getting a listen soon.

#14 ·
One awesome car for one outstanding owner.

The floor matts - I'm sorry, that's the first thing that just jumped out there - do you have any plans to change them? They just don't seem to belong there, don't know... just me.

Superb equipment choices and as well a bigger cabin than the BRZ would give you just a little bit more "play" with your midbass in terms of tuning ability and as well bigger diameter for them on the other hand.

Since you have 8" now I suggest to set a preset at the director to be a none subwoofer mode - I believe that if you'll tune it right you might just get that one point you've lost back at the time - back to your inventory :)

Can't wait to see the build as it advances.

Reactions: bertholomey
#18 ·
Very nice ride. If you are near the Raleigh area i would love to hear it.

#20 ·
I’ll be in Raleigh with the car eventually. Once I get the install done, I’ll reach out. You should definitely try to make the NCSQ Spring Meet in May near Greensboro if you haven’t attended one. I’ll post a notice on this thread when the date has been decided and I start a new thread for it.

#25 ·
Filling in a little time before the install can take place......

Some of the equipment that is ready for the install.

DSP and tweeters.

Remember - Mid Range and Mid Bass is already installed.

And amps - maybe something like this configuration - not sure what the Doctor will come up with.

When I had these painted....I had asked for Ferrari Grey......I didn't know I was getting Audi Daytona Grey Pearl Effect ;) I would have done these outside in natural light, but it is raining.....so here is an imperfect cell phone pic with bad lighting, but I was surprised at the closeness of color.

#27 ·
Thank you! Now....that is a great question, and frankly it has been so long ago, that I can't rightly remember. I dropped them off at a body shop - I don't believe they completely stripped the application that was already there, but they may have. My friend Steve (if I'm not completely loosing my mind) stripped his Mosconi amps down to the bare metal, then polished them to a high shine. If desired, he would be someone who could inform us on that process.

#37 ·
Jason, the new ride is absolutely stunning! And how cool that a lot of the base work for the system is already done so you can just go about adding the gear you want and an excellent tune. When you have a chance, I'd love to hear your thoughts (pm, email, here, whatever) on the RS3 you got to drive vs the S4. This is relevant to my future interests...

#40 ·
Thanks Mic!

So, a couple things....

1) I want to change Digital Audio Players (DAPs for short ;)). I'm selling a couple things to fund my next purchase - so let me know if you or someone you know may be interested. I failed to mention......a DAP like this isn't only for personal listening......my main use of it was in the car.......Coax or Optical or Line Out straight to the Helix DSP Pro......fantastic sound, huge library of music with me when I travel......

FiiO X5iii - 64GB internal storage (can be empty or full) + leather case + hard storage case + 128 GB micro SD card (either empty or full - your choice) - the player has 64GB internal memory and two micro SD slots. Original Box.

64Audio CIEMs - 64Audio A6 Custom In Ear Monitors with the adjustable MAM Adel module ($200 retail) + the A15 module that came with them + hard case for storage + updated cable. These would need to be re-shelled by 64Audio to get the perfect fit.

FiiO X5iii

64Audio A6 CIEMs

Over $1800 invested, asking $600 shipped for both pieces - I don't want to break them up unless I get two buyers.

2) I'm going to be starting a thread soon for the 2019 NCSQ Spring Meet. It will be the 3rd and 4th of May with a Competition in Garner NC the 5th....a Cinco de Mayo (and beginning of Ramadan ;)) event......

I still need to work out some particulars....my house or park....etc. I'll post a link to that new thread on this thread once I start it.

#42 · (Edited)
So, a couple things....

1) I want to change Digital Audio Players (DAPs for short ;). I'm selling a couple things to fund my next purchase - so let me know if you or someone you know may be interested...

FiiO X5iii - 64GB internal storage (can be empty or full) + leather case + hard storage case + 128 GB micro SD card (either empty or full - your choice) - the player has 64GB internal memory and two micro SD slots. Original Box.

64Audio CIEMs - 64Audio A6 Custom In Ear Monitors with the adjustable MAM Adel module ($200 retail) + the A15 module that came with them + hard case for storage + updated cable. These would need to be re-shelled by 64Audio to get the perfect fit.

FiiO X5iii

64Audio A6 CIEMs

Over $1800 invested, asking $600 shipped for both pieces - I don't want to break them up unless I get two buyers.

I'll take it ALL for $600 if you throw in that Fugly ZANA DEUX! :p :D

Seriously tho', that's a great deal for the FiiO AND the 64Audio A6 IEMs, sheesh!

Curious to see what DAP you end up with, tho'.

And I was just thinking after re-reading my last PM to you...I hope didn't come across as a complete @ss with my "you're on your own this time, dude..." statement! :surprised: Didn't mean it like that!...more like that l really don't have any valuable insight to offer on the subject because I'm kind of clueless, haha. ;)

Still looking forward to the progress on that beautiful Audi. :)

#41 ·
Will be keeping an eye out for the 2019 meet thread, looking forward to seeing you next weekend.

Hoping the weather is decent, you should have a blast driving the S4 around this area. If you have some spare time and want me to put together a route for you to have some fun with let me know, plenty of nice winding roads around here.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.