DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. Any help would be much appreciated. I have the above car with stock sound system and navigation. The sound system is severely lacking and my long commute would be made more enjoyable with a quality sound system. I want to keep things as clean as possible and use the stock headunit. A small well-placed sub would be nice but I think I need better speakers and an amp to power them. My budget is $1000-$1500.

·
Registered
27 Posts
BMWs come with a few different stock audio options. You need to figure out which you have (I believe they are standard, HiFi, Logic 7, Individual Audio).

There's an F30 forum on bimmerforums, I'd check there for more concrete info.

My guess is you have Hi Fi, in which case just amping the stock speakers may yield "decent" results. Then you just have to worry about adding an amp and sub. If you do a rear speaker delete, a nice 5-ch amp can power your front stage (door mids/tweets, underseat midbass) and your sub. If you keep the rear speakers, you'll prob want a 5-6 channels for the cabin, plus a monoblock for the sub. You can find the right technic harness to use for your stereo, which makes for a plug and play install. If you use a traditional LOC, pull the signal from the woofers under the seats, as the other speaker locations are often high passed.
The two best options for subs is either a corner load sealed enclosure (should be easy to find examples of this online), or an IB setup via the ski pass (I did this in my 2007 3 series).

If you have standard/base audio, the stock speakers need to go in addition to the amps/sub. Suggest looking for a good drop-in kit for this car, mounting size and depths are limiting without doing some custom work.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Putting together a system for a 2015 BMW is easy (I've done a few myself)...
Putting one together for under $1,500.00 is going to be a challenge.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Putting together a system for a 2015 BMW is easy (I've done a few myself)...
Putting one together for under $1,500.00 is going to be a challenge.
Disagree. If he’s just amping his current speakers and adding a sub, a single 5-6 ch amp, plus “decent” sub/enclosure can definitely be done within that budget. More so if he can source good used equipment (I saved a TON on my almost new JL 700/5 amp, perfect for situations like this).

But if he needs to swap out all his speakers, or wants higher end equipment, different story of course.

·
Registered
737 Posts
If you have the HiFi system (676), I have an extra stock amp bypass harness and door speaker mounting adaptors and OEM connectors that I can let go for less than you would pay for them from here: http://technicpnp.com/product-category/3-series-f3x/hifi-option-676-3-series-f3x/. From there you can run the front RCA's into a DSP then to a 5 or 6 channel amp, and subwoofer. For your budget, I agree with Ali-323i, keep the stock speakers (no need then for the door speaker mounting adaptors and OEM connectors). With a DSP and aftermarket amp, you can get surprisingly good results with the stock speakers. The underseat "subs" will be used as midbass (approx. 80-250 Hz). In the HiFi system the front tweeter and 4" mid are run in parallel off of a single channel per door. The front channels of the HiFi system provide a full range, unprocessed signal.

A miniDSP can be purchased new for $275 (used options from Mosconi or Helix will be in the $500 ballpark)

Some other amp suggestions, $750 or less if you look around and consider used:

Arc XDi 1200.6
Gladen RC150c5
Zapco Z 150.6
Zapco ST 6X SQ
Alpine PDX V9
Mmats 6150D

That would leave you with at least $500 for a sub and wiring. Audiofrog still has discontinued Gs12D2-R 12's available for $169 (originally, $379).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts