DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 152 Posts

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello All,

My name is Chris and I’m from the Bay Area. I figured that I’d start a log after mulling around the site for a few months. I’m preparing to start my most in depth build since 2Pac was on the radio. I’m confident in my 12v skills, but this will be my first time using a DSP. I must admit that I’m apprehensive about tuning it, but I really enjoy learning and projects - so here I am.

I have a 2015 Toyota Camry XSE V6 and I’m hoping to keep a mostly stock stereo appearance. With that in mind, I plan on doing something that (as far as my research has shown) has not been documented before.

I’ve purchased an OEM JBL Entune headunit and amp to replace my non-JBL Entune headunit. The two should be a direct swap, but I haven’t seen this verified yet.

I plan on using a PAC AmpPro as a pre-amp for a miniDSP c-DSP 6x8.

From PAC’s user manual:

“The PAC AP4-TY12 provides a 6-channel pre-amp output for use with aftermarket audio equipment. Using the full range, fixed level head unit output, in conjunction with data bus messages, the AP4-TY12 delivers a variable 5v RMS pre- amp output with fading, balance, equalization, and level control capabilities. The module also retains audio from other vehicle features such as factory navigation prompts, Bluetooth and Voice Activation.”

I plan on using two JL audio amplifiers, one HX280/4 (which I purchased previously) and one XD400/4v2. I’m hoping to mount these discreetly under the drivers seat in the stock JBL amps location on a piece of moldable abs.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58-861C6b2c&t=259s

The OEM JBL amp must remain hooked up for the AmpPro to work properly, so I plan on relocating this behind the head-unit.

I bought a compliment of Audiofrog Speakers including GS690’s (6x9”’s) for the front doors, GS40’s (4”) mids which hopefully will work in the stock corner dash locations, and GS10’s (1”) which I may flush mount in the “A” pillars.

I also have a previously installed set of Alpine 6x9”s in the rear deck. I plan on keeping these for rear fill, but I’ll need to see how things go.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The factory JBL amp and harness arrived today. For those that didn’t read my first post, in order for me to get a clean pre-amp signal out of the OEM JBL HU via the PAC AmpPro, I had to install the factory JBL amp too.

Here are some photos to help others considering this upgrade:

To the OEM JBL HU

I bought this harness and the amp from infotainment.com. It has a composite video out tied into the harness:

Here’s what I think the OEM location would be under the drivers seat. I plan on mounting my JL Amps in this spot, so this probably won’t end up here:

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Subscribed and watching intently :)

BTW, may want to check the build log link you have in your signature... it brought me to the homepage instead of here.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Subscribed and watching intently :)

BTW, may want to check the build log link you have in your signature... it brought me to the homepage instead of here.
Thanks for the heads up Ryan, I corrected the signature link.

I had a chance to put the JBL headunit in yesterday and our suspicions were correct - it’s plug n’ play with full functionality. I’ll update with installation pictures and more information regarding the installation either today or tomorrow.

Thanks for leading me in this direction!

Notice “JBL” just below the lower left of the screen :D

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Thanks for the heads up Ryan, I corrected the signature link.

I had a chance to put the JBL headunit in yesterday and our suspicions were correct - it’s plug n’ play with full functionality. I’ll update with installation pictures and more information regarding the installation either today or tomorrow.

Thanks for leading me in this direction!
Very Cool! I'm glad it's working out so far.

So does the JBL head-unit power the speakers directly without the JBL amp installed?... meaning it has a built in amplifier with speaker level outputs and fixed level pre-amp outputs to feed the JBL amp too?

Also, no special "programming" needed so the vehicle and the head-unit recognize each other?

Very interested to see how the PAC AMPro integration goes... :snacks:

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So, as I said in my last post, the JBL Entune Head unit went in without a hitch. To answer Ryan’s (truthunter) question, the amp does need to be plugged in for any sound to come out of the speakers. The unit will function without it, just void of any sound.

The JBL HU was 100% plug and play. No programming of any sort was necessary.

The part number of the HU I purchased was 86100-06341. The interchange part numbers are 86100-06501, 86804-06110, and 86100-06502.

Here’s a comparison of the rear connections on the JBL (right) and non-JBL Entune Head Units. They’re identical:

I didn’t realize it until I started removing the HVAC controls from my original HU to swap to the JBL, but this is the navigation unit:

Here’s the video I followed for installation:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YIRj4eEgqpk&t=311s

There ends up being an empty socket on the HU after everything is plugged in. Here is a photo I found on the internet of a similar unit. I couldn’t take a picture of mine as I only found the out after I gave up looking for the missing plug and mounted the unit:

I tried mounting the JBL amp behind the radio, but it just wouldn’t fit and ended up under the drivers seat. Here’s a few shots of spots I tried:

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I bought the JBL Amp and harness from infotainment here: https://www.infotainment.com/products/toyota-jbl-amplifier-kit

The description on infotainment’s website gave me the impression that:

1. The amp was new

2. The amp was the OEM part for my 2015 Camry. I had entered my cars make/model into the website’s drop down menus which led me to the JBL amp page.

Unfortunately, I was wrong with both of my assumptions. It seems that infotainment.com makes the harness for the feed between the JBL HU and the JBL AMP, then pairs their harness to a salvaged amp.

The amp that I was sent was pulled from another vehicle which was likely either a Toyota Venza (part number: 86280-0T010) or a Toyota Sienna (part number: 86280-08031).

Here’s what actually comes with the ‘15 Camry
OEM 2015 TOYOTA Camry JBL GreenEDGE Radio Amplifier 86100-0w280

With under seat brackets installed:

I’m just mentioning all this to assure that anyone considering this install has all the facts. I probably wouldn’t have purchased a different Oem amp if I knew all this ahead of time.

I emailed Infotainment over the weekend regarding my concerns. I’ll update with their response when/if they respond.
Here’s a shot of the amp/ harness listing:

On the plus side, the harness infotainment provides has composite video inputs which allows the passenger to mirror their phone on the navigation screen and allow video in motion. This unit is pretty slick as most other phone mirroring options involve a physical switch to change input sources and the navigation stops working when the input is used.

Here’s a video showing how this AV input works. It’s actually pretty slick:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-VDcPkX4bbo

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Quite a few things arrived today that I was waiting on.

I already had the GS690’s, but the other two pairs got here today:

Most importantly, the pre-amp got here today. This thing is tiny, I’ll definitely be able to tuck it somewhere behind the hvac controls or center console. I get to pull the HU back out, yay.

I’ve been thinking about how to deal with the usb inputs on the minidsp c-DSP and the PAC AMPPRO. I’ll need to connect the the minidsp a lot and I’d like to be able to easily connect to the AmpPro if I need to also.

Well, I have a 12v cigarette lighter outlet in my glovebox that I’ll never use. So, I’m going to remove it and mount this dual usb input in the hole it leaves:

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Most importantly, the pre-amp got here today. This thing is tiny, I’ll definitely be able to tuck it somewhere behind the hvac controls or center console. I get to pull the HU back out, yay.
May I suggest placing the PAC in an area that is easily accessible.. I know what a chore it is removing the front of the center console and the head-unit. Did that way too many times in my install :blush:

Maybe place the PAC directly under the piece with the seat heater controls at the rear of the console as that part can be popped out quickly and easily if for some reason it needs to be accessed for troubleshooting in the future... I suppose it depends on if the harnesses are long enough to do so.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Today I installed the PAC AMPpro, then ran RCA’s and the 12v constant/remote/ground to the trunk for the MiniDSP C-DSP.

The harness for the AmpPro was only about two feet long:

But the length was perfect to place the AmpPro unit right under the coin tray in the center console:

I had previously purchased this “Camry Sound Processor Integration Harness” from taco tunes. I thought since I had the AmpPro I wouldn’t need it.
https://tacotunes.com/shop/toyota-camry/plug-play-wire-harnesses-toyota-camry/toyota-camry-sound-processor-wire-harness-integration-system-2/

But it ended up providing a no cut/ no tap solution to run a 2a remote wire for the amps and the mini DSP, and a 12v constant/ground from HU for the mini DSP:

I also decided to return my unused/unopened JL Hx280/4 as it really isn’t right for my application. I plan on buying a second JL XD400/4 and running 8 channels (6 front, 2 rear fill) + the JBL 8” underseat sub (just to fill in a bit where the Frog 6x9’s leave off).

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I just bought a second JL XD400/4 and boxed up the HX280/4 for return.

I’m thinking of mounting the amps on black textured 1/4” abs sheets (possibly carpeted) and attaching them to the rear deck:

One here to the right which will easily fit (*The “JL” emblem fell off of this amp. A replacement emblem is on the way.)

And the other XD400 (hopefully) will mount here on the left. I may need to get creative with the moldable 1/4” abs sheet:

These also arrived last night. I still need to download the plugin and REW to familiarize myself:

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I worked on the the bracket for my under seat sub yesterday. I saw a guy on YouTube form an underseat amp bracket out of 1/4” abs sheeting, so I decided to try it out.

I knew heading into this that I had a conflict with an hvac vent and I had planned on just removing it. Well, I ended up just modifying it and I was pleased with the results.

Here are some pictures of my progress.

Template

Bracket made out of 1/4” abs sheeting:

I still need to get some threaded inserts to embed into the plastic. Then I’ll install the bracket and screw the sub enclosure to the bracket. This should give me a nice, solid mount for the sub, and none of it will be visible to rear seat passengers.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Looks good.
I've never used abs... Did you just use a heat gun to heat up the abs to form it? And how will the bracket attach to the vehicle?

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Looks good.
I've never used abs... Did you just use a heat gun to heat up the abs to form it? And how will the bracket attach to the vehicle?
Thanks.

The 1/8” abs will bend with just a heat gun, but I used 1/4”. I scored it on both sides then used a heat gun to get the bends.

There are steel rails on each side of the depression that the sub sits in and I plan on screwing the bracket to these.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Couple updates. I’ve been working on getting everything wired up and other associated installation items each morning when I get home from work (7 pm - 7am shifts for the next few months).

Just finished up the mounting board for the DSP. I made it out of 1/4” textured ABS. As the pictures below detail, I used double sided tape to adhere the DSP to the ABS sheet and cut it out on the router with a Straight Flute Flush Trim Bit.

Here’s a shot straight on with the DSP sitting on the mounting board:

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
I also mounted my fuses yesterday.

I bought this black strap from eBay:
New Metal Back Strap 18"

And these Phoenix Gold Fuse holders - which were really great quality for the price:
PHOENIX GOLD FH.501K 4 OR 8 GAUGE FUSE HOLDER

I ran a 4 awg and a 8 awg instead of a single larger diameter line because that’s what I had on hand.

Here are some pictures of how it turned out:

Fuse holders mounted to strap:

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Got the miniDSP 6x8 mounted.

Found a great spot (thanks truthunter) but had a OEM wire conflict:

Relocated wire:

Used this hardware in some of the existing holes:

Board mounted:

DSP mounted with some rough wiring. Should be hidden behind the trunk lining when all is done. I ran the remote cable and USB up to the center console, so hopefully I won’t have to access the physical unit very often.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Started the amp rack template for two JL xd400/4:

Finished product out of textured 1/4” ABS:

Relocated the cables for the rear seat fold pulls:

Here’s the amp rack mounted to the rear deck in its final location. I built it up with two additional 1/4” abs pieces (3 total) with a hollow space in the center for wires:

I got one of the xd400/4’s wired and mounted, the other one will obviously be right next to it:

JL was kind enough to send me a new badge to replace the missing one. I also flipped the orientation to match my install:

1 - 20 of 152 Posts