DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not exactly a stranger to the essque world. I've had another install on here before, http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/build-logs-project-install-gallery/67118-my-2006-scion-tc-redone.html

I also started a build log for the 2013 Kia Optima I had, however, that build never came to fruition. That was traded in for this bad boy about 2 weeks ago

So, with less than 2k miles, I've already started acquiring gear because thats what we do. My goal is to retain the stock source unit because these days you kind of have to, and make it sound much more pleasing. The list

Signal Processor: PPI DEQ8 (bought one on here already)
Amps: (2) Sundown SAE 50.4 (Should be here tomorrow)
Up in the air about a sub amp currently
Tweets: HAT L1V2's black, will be glassed into the sail panels
Mids: HAT L6V2's, stock front door locations
Midbass: Dayton RS-180's in the rear doors (may not be permanent, but the space is there)
Subs: Still undecided, but they'll be small (6.5's) Looking at the Tang Band W6's, or HAT Imagines.

All this accompanied with deadened doors, won't be doing the floor, roof, or back panel. The truck is pretty quiet right now. May decouple some things with CCF. So, more updates as I acquire the rest of the equipment.

·
Premium Member
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So the 2 mid/high amps came this morning. I originally assumed they would fit under the rear seats with no problems, well, not so much the case. Checked them under the front seats, also a no go. One side of the rear seats has a small gap behind it, however it is too small too. Looks like I'll need to get creative in creating a mounting place for these.

·
Premium Member
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cool man maybe the rear wall for amps ?
I'm going to see if thats a possibility, there isn't much room behind the rear seats.

Don't mind my dirty workbench, I've got a few projects happening currently.
Some pics. I have the amps

Fast rings

Also bought a set of HAT L6SE carbon, pretty excited about those.

·
Registered
4,013 Posts
I really like the styling of these trucks, but after looking at the interior materials and pricetag (!) I can't see myself buying one. Near me, a Z71 ext cab was like $38k...I could buy a full size for that. I don't lease because I drive 30k miles a year.

Does yours have the soft touch dash surface? That's SOOOOO much better than the base model.

Looking forward to the build!

Jay

·
Premium Member
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I really like the styling of these trucks, but after looking at the interior materials and pricetag (!) I can't see myself buying one. Near me, a Z71 ext cab was like $38k...I could buy a full size for that. I don't lease because I drive 30k miles a year.

Does yours have the soft touch dash surface? That's SOOOOO much better than the base model.

Looking forward to the build!

Jay
No soft touch dash, I've got all the cheap plastic. I have the LT 2wd CC. I really wanted a Z71, but couldn't see paying that price. I got a pretty good deal through USAA and my dealer had a Veterans/Active Duty/Retired discount on Memorial Day.

·
Premium Member
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Small update. Got most everything ordered. The last piece I need is the stuff to deaden the doors. Changing up some equipment as well. The Sundown amps, are too big to fit anywhere acceptable and out of the way, so they're for sale. In their place, I've ordered (2) PPI P900.4's, one will be bridged to run the L6SE's and the other will use 2 channels to push the L1's. I am going to see at some point if I can fit an 8 in the rear doors and run a rear mid bass (gasp, speakers in the rear!). If that doesn't work, I may run a decent coaxial in the rear and use the DEQ to delay it as much as I can.

I also ditched the idea of a custom sub box. I visited a couple places locally and none of them really impressed me with building what I wanted, almost impossible to get these people to accept that this will be an SQ install and I'm not looking to vibrate the neighborhood. So, I picked up a Pioneer TS-SWX2502 and it will sit on the passenger rear floorboard. Not ideal, but it should be functional for now. I rarely have any rear passengers, with the exception of my 4 year old, whom I'm not worried about damaging the enclosure by standing or stepping on it. I also picked up a PPI P1000.1 (overkill yes, but I like headroom), this also gives me room to grow if I end up with another sub idea.

·
Premium Member
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Finally have most everything in hand. Got a chance to go out tonight and lay out the amp rack. Distro block will end up being on drivers side rather than passenger in the pictures. hopefully I'll get time this weekend to knock out the actual rack. Pretty happy everything is going to fit.

the plastic tray before

after removal, the steel support will be staying, for obvious reasons.

Plastic still on

now we can see it all together.

·
Premium Member
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Subd. I might be checking into one of these in another year or so. How's the gas mileage?
V6 2WD, I'm averaging around 20-21. That is a mix of city/hwy and I've got a pretty heavy foot. I think best I've done all hwy was around 24-25.

·
Premium Member
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Amp rack is coming along. I'm using some leftover MDF I had rather than buying another sheet. However, the pieces are only a foot wide, and I needed about 14.5" for the amp rack, so I had to cut and paste.

Test fitting again.

Wanted to make sure the seats weren't making contact, which they are, however, its only the fuzzy cloth that is actually touching the amps. I had the misses sit in the seat so I could make sure they wouldn't make contact when someone was sitting in there. All is good.

Letting this dry overnight before another test fit, and then I'll start drilling for nut-serts. I also need to run this over to a buddy's to have the edges routered. This will probably just be covered in bedliner. I'm a fan of bedliner.

·
Premium Member
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Due to the rain and humidity, I am at a standstill. Had to rethink the amp rack, originally I was going to mount the DEQ8 under the passenger seat, I'll be revisiting that. With the RCA's I have it made things tighter that I would like with any way I arranged it, so mounting the DEQ under the seat will make everything flow easier. As soon as it stops raining I can get this coated in bed liner and fully secured under the seat.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
I totally forgot that I commented on this build. Not only do I have almost the same exact equipment but now I have the same truck. lol. Bought a 2015 Z71 crew cab. Interested in seeing what other plans you have for this. I'll be using under the rear seats for subs though.

·
Premium Member
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So after months, I'm finally back. Went through 3 layoffs, a relocation, and finally finding a job thats going to last for awhile.

Not major progress, but its coming. Got power and grounds ran on the amp rack, just need to secure everything. Also started making the adapters out of cutting board. I'm going to run to the pawn shops later today and see if I can't find a decent deal on a router, and pick up a relay to run all the remote turn ons. This jig saw stuff isn't cutting it for me anymore. I'm also out of CA glue, so I'm halted for now.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Glad to see you still working on this build. Where are you planning on running subs? I've been debating on possibly adding an 8" mid in the passenger side foot well and using the presets on the mini dsp to switch between front mounted sub and the dual 10's under the rear seats.

If you're planning on having subs in the back, I recommend deadening the rear wall. It has decent sound absorption but adding deadening really helps with the bass response.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts