DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi everyone

ok i have Forscan and can use easily enough, I will be doing most of the work and getting it tuned by someone else... who i dont know yet. I am located in st pete fl.

original thought was C5 653 up front, and C5 650x in rear. maybe just the C5 woofer in rear and not coax?

currently equipment list:

JL750/1 HD amp
JL 600/4 HD amp
JL 13TW5 sub in box
DSR1
Maestro HRN-AR-FO2
custom speaker adapters for front to fit C5 653 components . (6.5 door with 4" ring above but co located, and tweet adapter for the pillar.)
custom speaker adapters for 6.5 in rear
sound deadened doors, floor, rear wall etc.

Questions:

Should I return the DSR1 and go the pac amp route or forscan route? if Forscan what codes to change?

Can I get similar SQ if i dont go C5 route and use other brands that are significantly cheaper and use the saved money to get a better DSP and another amp to go active? what DSP? amp I'd probably stay JL HD since I have 2 already.

I'm pretty sure its a no, but just in case I'll throw this silly questions out there:

Is there a DSP I can use that will allow me to go active without another amp? if so what do you recommend?

·
Registered
432 Posts
Hi everyone

ok i have Forscan and can use easily enough, I will be doing most of the work and getting it tuned by someone else... who i dont know yet. I am located in st pete fl.

original thought was C5 653 up front, and C5 650x in rear. maybe just the C5 woofer in rear and not coax?

currently equipment list:

JL750/1 HD amp

JL 600/4 HD amp

JL 13TW5 sub in box

DSR1

Maestro HRN-AR-FO2

custom speaker adapters for front to fit C5 653 components . (6.5 door with 4" ring above but co located, and tweet adapter for the pillar.)

custom speaker adapters for 6.5 in rear

sound deadened doors, floor, rear wall etc.

Questions:

Should I return the DSR1 and go the pac amp route or forscan route? if Forscan what codes to change?

Can I get similar SQ if i dont go C5 route and use other brands that are significantly cheaper and use the saved money to get a better DSP and another amp to go active? what DSP? amp I'd probably stay JL HD since I have 2 already.

I'm pretty sure its a no, but just in case I'll throw this silly questions out there:

Is there a DSP I can use that will allow me to go active without another amp? if so what do you recommend?

Pac amp pro. Forscan causes more issues than it solves.

Pick up the Dayton 408 dsp for $150.00

Spend your money on quality components.

The only way you can go active and run rears will be to use a 6 channel amp. I personally don’t think the rears are needed. I have an 18 f150. Mine have been off for almost a year now.

·
Registered
432 Posts
how is the sound for people sitting in the back seat with no speakers running?

Honestly couldn’t tell you. I haven’t had anyone comment so far.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
wonder if i could just put a 6.5 woofer and get some extra mid bass...

my daughter sits back there and loves music too so want to make sure she can hear everything ok as well. if you get bored do you mind jumping in your backseat and have a listen?

·
Premium Member
127 Posts
wonder if i could just put a 6.5 woofer and get some extra mid bass...

my daughter sits back there and loves music too so want to make sure she can hear everything ok as well. if you get bored do you mind jumping in your backseat and have a listen?
If you want the backseat to be considered a listening position you'll need those rear door speakers.

Sitting in the back with no rear speakers is obviously going to be bass heavy. They'll still hear some of the front speakers though so it's all subjective to the person on if it's "enough".

Can confirm with my F150 supercrew.

·
Premium Member
239 Posts
If using the Maestro, you could grab a Kenwood XR600-6DSP refurb from Curtchfield.
6x75w amp + 10 CH DSP for $320 is pretty tough to beat, even considering its relatively limited EQ.
Could power your 3-way front stage and still have enough DSP channels for rears and subs.
(Also available from Car Toys via Amazon for $300)

I'd also consider other components to take advantage of the giant hole Ford put in the doors.
They'll take up to a 9" woofer. MTI put Morel Elate 9s in one, and I'm pretty sure they sell the adapters.

·
Registered
2,815 Posts
Just buy some rear coaxial speakers and put them on HU power when you need them and mute or fade them out when you don’t. This is what I do for the minivan and it works great. I purchased $80 pair of Kicker coaxial and they sound ok. The JL C5 mids are good but you would get just as good results with the AudioFrog GS60 for less or if you can fit them the GS690 for about the same but greater mid bass. The SB Acoustics RDCN29 is an awesome tweeter to use in a budget 2-way. The JL TwK 88 is awesome and better than the Dayton 408 for the interface, I have both. If you can afford it the AudioFrog GB15 and GB60 will knock your socks of in terms of SQ. They are a step up from my JL C5.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
double post but might be better served here than in advanced audio.

ok update and need help

DSR1 installed but went with active 3 way from Stereo integrity instead of the C5s, also got an extra 3.5 to run a center channel so i can set front stage center mass in truck. I also want to run either a 2 way coax in the back or single wide band 6.5 for rear fill and so my daughter can rock out too.

DSR1 doesnt have enough channels out WTF lol what do do now?

add a DSP to the DSR1 or ditch it and keep the Maestro cable and run something else?

current setu is as follows

MMats 6150d amp for front 3 way stage
JLHD 600.4 for center channel and rear fill
JL HD 750.1 with JL 13tw5

HELP!!

·
Registered
2,815 Posts
those GB60's better be a step up from C5s lol double the cost
They are a significant upgrade from the C5, I own both. More detail, better midrange, and better more realistic midbass from the GB60.

double post but might be better served here than in advanced audio.

ok update and need help

DSR1 installed but went with active 3 way from Stereo integrity instead of the C5s, also got an extra 3.5 to run a center channel so i can set front stage center mass in truck. I also want to run either a 2 way coax in the back or single wide band 6.5 for rear fill and so my daughter can rock out too.

DSR1 doesnt have enough channels out WTF lol what do do now?

add a DSP to the DSR1 or ditch it and keep the Maestro cable and run something else?

current setu is as follows

MMats 6150d amp for front 3 way stage
JLHD 600.4 for center channel and rear fill
JL HD 750.1 with JL 13tw5

HELP!!
Don’t run the rear fill off the DSR1, just put the rear on head unit power and fade to the front when there are no passengers in the rear. Trust me, kids don’t care or appreciate all that nice equipment you have. For kids, if the rear speakers make full range sound that sounds good than it’s good enough. Most kids would be happy with a $1.45 3.5” full range speaker. Trying to do the rear fill for up front is a waste of time and resources. A good all up front three way front stage with sub will be all you need.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts