DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
4,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So to be fair, i get a lot of comments on some of our builds that it isnt really "simple", with the dsp and amps and fabrication. I guess for me, the moniker simplicity in sound is more of a value in how i approach car audio...that is, i dont like to use a ton of gear, and instead, i try to focus on the front stage and use less products to achieve a set goal. The few occassions that value has been breached were either dictated by the customer, or creativeness dictated that we use more gear to achieve a certain cosmetic appearance. :)

But i have to say, this particular project, a brand new 2015 Honda Odyssey EX-L, is perhaps one of the truly SIMPLE sound quality projects. :) Even though we dont have the opportunity to work on a lot of vans, i have a softspot for practical cars like these, and hell, i may find myself in one pretty soon with our daughter. :)

the goals:

1. maintain virtually a 100 percent oem appearance in the interior

2. achieve a much improved level of sound quality

3. maintain all usable utility features of the vehicle

combined, this proved actually quite a challenge...as there are very little untapped space in the van...we cannot go into the floor well in the back because that would prevent the third row seats from folding flat...the ability to keep a fully flat floor also prevents any product from being install under the rear seats...and the front seats also have precious little room under them...so yeah, took a bit of headscratching and definitely necessitated some
specific gear selection.

lets get started...and first, a quick gander at the first SQ project we have done in a modern minivan :)

and as mentioned, the interior is kept 100 percent oem looking:

starting with the signal source, here is the front seat, and you cant see much at all until u duck down low. a single tiny Mosconi D2 80.6DSP provides all the oem integration, processing and amplification for the entire system.

80 watts x 4 runs the front stage, while 200 watts goes to the sub. low powered but if you have read my recent reviews on the D2 amps, you will know how much i love them...able to throw out quite a bit of volume while maintaining great control and a VERY low noise floor :) it hard to believe that something like this exists in such a small package, and perhaps it is the only thing out there that allowed us to do what we wanted to do in this vehicle, given the circumstances and restrictions:

the rack itself is very simple. it is simply a piece of mdf, cut to shape, with a rabetted front bottom edge to allow the factory carpet mat to slide under and then vinyled:

since the are directly under the seat is taken up by the rear AC vents, i couldnt use rivet nuts to secure the amp rack. instead, i used industrtial strength velcro to secure another board onto the top of the vents, and put in two threaded inserts onto it.

then the amp rack board was bolted onto the bottom board, sandwiching the carpet in between, while the velcro prevented the board from bouncing up and down:

next the D2 80.6 DSP was installed and wired up:

for the speakers and subwoofer in the car, we went all Focal Flax. The Flax midbass was installed int he factory location in the lower door. first, a new set of speaker wires were run into the door:

then the outer door panel received some blackhole tiles, while the inner door got some STP CLD damper. while a honda specific door speaker spacer was bolted in place

the focal flax midbass was then wired up and installed:

while the outer door car also got some CLD damper to help with resonance:

the same process was also repeated on the driver side:

the tweeter mounting was also pretty straightforward. the fact that the focal tweeter can be popped out of its mounting cup allowed a near oem fitment to the stock tweeter grille mounting option.

here are the grilles before and after receiving the focal tweeter :)

there were then wired up and installed back into the car:

so thats it for the front stage. moving onto wiring run inside of the car. but before that, the only truly visible addition to the vehicle was a remote bass knob installed into one of the knockout panels on the driver side of the dash:

·
4,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
since the D2DSP amp did not come with a remote bass knob option, what we did was to use the relatively new PAC AUDIO LOC PRO piece. this is a line out put conveter with a remotely mounted volume knob...perfect for this type of situation and far less bulky than the LC1 that it essentially replaced. :)

i tapped the stock front and sub signal at the stock amp harness, the front signal went directly to the mosconi amp, while the sub signal went into the LOC PRO, and a set of rca cables and cable for the remote bass knob were run to the driver side. the passenger side speaker wires were also run to the driver side as thats where the amp is located. then everything is ziptied to factory bundles every few inches. all the wiring make a turn to go under the front seat, while the subwoofer speaker wire goes from the underseat area all the way to the back of the van:

so the last piece of the puzzle is the sub. luckily for us, the odyssey EX-L came with a pretty nice stock sub enclosure. it is basically a cube of maybe .4 cubic foot. here it is, normally installed in the car, and removed with its rather weak driver:

as mentioned for the sub, we went with a focal flax 8...and this is our first experience with the speaker, so i figured i would take some pictures of it. like the flax10 we used before, it is really nicely constructed with the very unique flax sandwich cone, and the rest of the speaker is very no-nonsense, high quality and strong.

some of the ridges on the bottom of the stock location was grounded down to clear the magnet of the flax 8, and the interior was sound proofed with CLD damper. while the outside received more CLD and also thick CCF on areas where it makes contact with the factory metal side wall:

and the flax 8 was bolted in place, the opening of the stock location is nearly a perfect fit for the new sub :)

next, the areas and panels around the subwoofer enclosure also received CLD and foam treatment to help reduce resonance and rattles from the much more powerful focal subwoofer:

and then the enclosure was bolted back into the vehicle:

the only other major source of rattle turned out to be the back door...which recieved ample foam and cld damper to help quiet it down:

so how does it sound? so lets first take a look at the stock signal i was working with. unlike some other honda premium systems, the odyssey did NOT have a multi channel output format from the stock amp (the signal infront of the amp is not usable for this application as it is fixed). instead, we have a single full range front output, and a subwoofer output that was tapped.

and the stock front output signal is one of the best i have seen from the factory, it is truly full range and pretty flat, i probably could have used just the fronts for everything:

here is the oem sub signal, again, very usable:

just to see what they did, here are the measurements of the factory bass and treble adjustments, at full high and full low, on the front channels:

and here is the factory volume effects on the front channel at high, mid and low volume levels:

and here is the factory sub signal, using the onboard subwoofer volume adjustment on the stock headunit:

and finally, using the D2 80.6's onboard input EQ, here is the curve i got to work with after flattening:

so looking at the signal, you can probably imagine the van sounds quite good. it for sure it does. imaging, staging is all above average, with good center focus, width and very good depth. height hovers a few inches off the dash.

the 80.6 is plenty powerful to allow the front stage to have great impact, and play distortion free at a nice volume. the flax is once again, superbly balanced and natural with no real issues anywhere.

the little flax8 actually does a decent job at filling the cabin with sub 80hz material. its no ground shaker in this large interior and very modest power, but really, it did more than i thought it would in such an environment. on the rta, it was pretty flat down to 30hz or so before is started to roll off.

so overall, i think it is quite a nice improvement over the oem system at virtually zero cost to the utility of the vehicle, which in the end, should be the main motivation behind a minivan system right? :)

so hopefully no one will say this build is not inline with your namesake :D

until next time, cheers,

Bing

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
Simply impressive work gents. Always love what you guys do. If I lived near I would so have you guys do me some a pillars and a custom box and some cool trim for my amps. :)

·
Registered
806 Posts
We had a '14 EX-L that I always wanted to put some new drivers and decent power in but my wife always told me it wasn't my car to play with! Clean and simple install and thanks for posting it up!

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Nice to see such a post. I like how you did the amp on top of the vents. I guess that amp gave you that ability, vs what I did; removing those vents :-/.

I was wondering what thickness you used to rewire the speakers? When I saw the OEM wires on the Toyota(vs Honda) it was actually the best 12g stock wire I seen, so I left it. Any reason besides OCD perfection for getting rid of them....If they too were great wires?

Also if you can list the vendors of the door and other vibe treatments, I'm sure it would help folks, including me, as I have a few spots left to treat.

Cheers, and thumbs up on this!

·
4,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Nice to see such a post. I like how you did the amp on top of the vents. I guess that amp gave you that ability, vs what I did; removing those vents :-/.

I was wondering what thickness you used to rewire the speakers? When I saw the OEM wires on the Toyota(vs Honda) it was actually the best 12g stock wire I seen, so I left it. Any reason besides OCD perfection for getting rid of them....If they too were great wires?

Also if you can list the vendors of the door and other vibe treatments, I'm sure it would help folks, including me, as I have a few spots left to treat.

Cheers, and thumbs up on this!
its just force of habit on the wiring...there have been times when i am forced to use oem wiring because there were no holes int he molex, and i didnt realize there were something else hooked inline to thos wires (late model volvos seems to be the case)...and also, running new wires means that if the car ever has to be returned to stock and sold (happens about 3-4 times a year), it would be easier. :)

we kinda use a whole different array of sound proofing. since we dont really mark up and charge for sound proofing (my value is that i would never install speakers into a car without treating the door, and would never install a sub without treating things that rattled with it), i look for things that balance on cost, ease of application, thickness, and effectiveness. so we kinda always try new things.

the sound proofing used in this car includes:

blackhole tiles (we always use those for outer door skin)

stp cld damper

stp thick foam barrier

GP audio composite damper (we are trying it as an alternative to focal bam, it is slightly cheaper and seems to be slighter thicker).

we also use ballistik thinner foam, and sometimes other brands based on the need.

i do wish there was a single brand i can order readily (within one day shipping away) that covers everything, but over the years, i have given up on that and try as many things as possible and narrow it down to a good specific combo. :)

Bing

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
That makes sense if you leave the OEM wires behind.

I like the blackhole tiles. I need some :)

What would the install for something such as this setup run for the DIYmobileaudio public?

Different parts can force some alternate approaches, so ...
I hope its not a problem asking, but considering things the same, just the install would give a good idea for those on the fence of installing vs alternates.

feel free to pm

·
Registered
942 Posts
Thanks for posting this build thread! We have owned an '07 Odyssey since new and plan to trade it in next year for a 2016 or the all-new 2017. Nice to see some ideas of what can be done without compromising the utility of the vehicle. I am sure our new one will also have the OEM DVD player so its nice to see you keeping the OEM head unit and that it was very usable from a signal perspective.

·
Registered
5,664 Posts
I had a 2015 EX-L for a weekend test drive. I really loved the improvements made overall to the vehicle. Wifey convinced me that I really didn't need it as our last two children at home are much older and we don't carry like we used to.

·
Registered
262 Posts
sorry to resurrect this thread but I just have to admire the clean install... I am planning on doing some integration myself in our 2012 odyssey and just wanted to ask a question...

did this particular car have a rear DVD and was the factory controls kept for it? I have not done any OEM integration and I am trying to learn as much as I can so the wife cannot blame me for any mishap down the road... thanks!

·
Registered
521 Posts
Even your most modest builds are an eye candy.

Pure joy!

·
Registered
1 Posts
First off this is exactly what I have been looking for, for 3 years and now I found this thread! Thank you so much! I just upgraded all speakers and now need to upgrade this weak weak sub. How does the bass sound after adding the sound CCF and CLD? I was hoping not to have to do a custom build for the sub I like to have plenty of bass when I want it. Last question did you have any issues with the Active Noise Cancellation system? I have read that it needs to be turned off. Not really sure how to do that either.
Thanks and awesome post!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts