DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I wanted to build a system using simple off the shelf items in my Tundra. I did not want to loose the attributes of the factory JBL head unit as it allows you to track all sorts of unique maintenance items and other stuff. So based on that I gathered up the following items to build the system. I also did not have time to spend creating a bunch of custom enclosures and making everything competition pretty. I use to compete professionally in IASCA and have had several equipment sponsors along the way so some of the equipment used will be from those sponsors. Again I wont be using this system to compete, but I wanted something with sound quality levels that would surpass some of the most hard core systems.

Tech12volts JBL Wireharness

Arc Audio PS8
Arc Audio PSC

DS18 50 Farad Hybrid Capacitor

(2) Pioneer GM-D9605's

A pair of Pioneer TS-D1730C

(2) Pioneer TS-SW2002D2
(2) Pioneer TS-SW3002S4

Q Forms Kick Panels
XTC Baffles for every speaker except the 12's
Cheap on line sub enclosure (paid $109.00 for it) It will be heavily modified internally to optimize the frequency response of the two 12" subs.
A set of 8" Fast rings
Dynamat

A ton of wiring mostly from an old sponsor of mine Phoenix Gold. And many other electrical items to wire this whole mess in the truck.

I will be maintaining the factory JBL head unit as I like all of its integrated features and it should be capable of performing just fine with the Arc Audio PS8 processor.

My focus for the system is Imaging, Sound Stage and frequency response. I dont really care about DB drags, So as long as the system will hit 130db it will exceed any volumes that I will be listening to.

For reference I purchased one more amp that I used in the install and one more set of mids and tweets than I ended up using. I was originally going to run speakers in the rear doors and decided against it. So the photo below shows those extra items that were not used in the install.

First item up for bids was to gut the interior and start playing the dynamat game.

Pretty much every surface that resonated between 16hz and 45K hz was covered with dynamat.

The sub enclosure was modified with some extra bracing internally, sealed with a generous bead of silicone around every assembly seam and then dampened with ruberized undercoating inside and stuffed with fiberfill, this is a sealed enclosure. The only thing I was disappointed with was having to rotate the drivers 90 degrees to allow room for the 8 ga speaker wire to be inserted in to the Pioneer connectors on the subs. But they are behind a seat and you can not see them so it really is irrelevant.

The crossover set points will be open ended on the bottom end and set using Butterworth 48 db per octave slope at 50hz on the top end.

Running a set of 8" Pioneer's in the front doors to get that lower mid bass as forward as I could in the cab. These drivers are crossed over from 50hz to 350hz both ends on Butterworth 48db per octave slopes. I'm full court press on the back side of these drivers with XTC baffles and fiberfill to trick the driver in to thinking its in a larger enclosure than it is and providing enough dampening to make the driver act like it is in a sealed enclosure. These do a great job of pulling the front stage up where it belongs. The back of the door panel was trimmed to accommodate the 8" driver.

The same thing was done for the 6.75" Pioneers that I am using for the upper mid bass: They are covering 350hz to 5000hz on a Butterworh 48 db per octave slope. Just like the 8" Pioneer's I am using XTC Baffles stuffed with fiberfill to dampen them and kill the dipole set up of the Q-Forms. Which just leave the speakers in an infinite baffle condition.

I played the imaging game with the .75" tweeters. I left 6 feet of wire on them to try out several different locations in the cab (door mirror, Q-Forms, and left and right dash locations, A-pillars) after listening to a ton of reference material I found that they imaged and staged best facing straight up in the dash reflecting off the windshield, which also created a natural roll off for them.

Since I wanted to retain the factory JBL head unit in the Tundra that came with some added complications. Toyota and JBL did some strange things with this system. They use some very bizarre crossover points in the factory head unit and amplifier. So you have to use a signal processor that will allow you to combine channels to cover the frequencies of each driver. So the Arc Audio PS8 is ideal for accomplishing this. That being said I am using the high level outputs of the Tundras JBL Amplifier and sending those signals directly to the PS8. So I soldered up male RCA's to the Tech 12 Volts amp connector and then ran JL Audio RCA's from the JBL amp to the Arc Audio PS8 in the rear. I put some heat shrink over the RCA's to prevent any unintentional grounding under the passenger seat and prevents the connectors from becoming separated over time from vibration.

I decided to mount the Arc Audio PSC in the center console in easy reach of the driver so I can make any changes on the fly with the system that I need to. I did this in a new trim piece and bagged the original trim piece so I can take the truck back to stock if I ever decide to sell it. I can just remove all the equipment and use it for my next build.

Next was the amp rack. I purchased a under seat storage bin and used it as my amp rack and modified it accordingly. I am still working on the trim panel for the amp rack so at this moment it is not finished. Its the last item on my to do list. Behind the amp rack is the 50 farad capacitor that is keeping all the power up to snuff in the amplifiers. They are Pioneer GM-D9605's two 5 channel amplifiers that are being utilized to drive a 4 way system.

12" subs are being run off the 350w subwoofer output of each amplifier one left and one right channel.
8" lower mid bass drivers are using one of the 9605's 4 channel outputs bridged to two channels at 200 wpc.
6.75" upper mid bass drivers are using two of the other 9605's 4 channels at 75wpc
.75" tweeters are on the remaining two channels of that 9605's 4 channels at 75wpc

Giving me a four channel system out of 10 channels of power between the two 5 channel amplifiers.

The system was then set up for the driver position only. I am the only person who drives the truck, so I really dont care one bit about how the systems sounds in the passenger seat or in the rear seats. Its all about me. I first level set each individual speaker on the left channel to the drivers left ear using 78 db as a reference point. Then repeated the procedure for my right ear and the right channel. Every driver was level set at the 78 db reference level.

After that was accomplished I went through and measured each driver distance to my ears and time aligned each individual driver in the PS8 to my left and right ear.

After completing that task it was EQ time. Using my trusty old school Audio Control 3050A 1/3 octave RTA.

The following photos are of the EQ settings in the PS8 and the RTA results of the system after tuning. Please note that I am using the 2db scale on the RTA to measure the curve. I think I could take it down to the 1db scale and still hold the same curve. The PS8 is my favorite piece of equipment when it comes to processors. It is incredibly flexible.

·
Mobile Audio SQ
3,390 Posts
Fellow Tundra owner here, nice work.
Did you fully cover the door in dampener? Those 8's can move a lot of air and make a lot of rattles...

·
Registered
18 Posts
No issues or concerns with running the 8" up to 550hz with their frequency response of only up to 200hz?

Big fan of the Arc controller mount in the center console. It looks like it was designed to go there and uses up that otherwise useless little storage tray. Also, what is the box hanging near your ODB plug visible in the pic of the kickpanel? Trailer brake controller?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Did you fully cover the door in dampener? Those 8's can move a lot of air and make a lot of rattles...
I Have Dynamat on the doors in key locations to ensure that the metal does not resonate at all. The bigger problem was dampening the plastic door panel itself. The 8's do move a substantial amount of air so it was critical that I deadened the back of the door panels tremendously.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No issues or concerns with running the 8" up to 550hz with their frequency response of only up to 200hz?

Big fan of the Arc controller mount in the center console. It looks like it was designed to go there and uses up that otherwise useless little storage tray. Also, what is the box hanging near your ODB plug visible in the pic of the kickpanel? Trailer brake controller?
As you can see in the RTA curve the 8" drivers have no problem covering the frequency range. They do a great job as a lower mid bass speaker.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Just went through my set up and I have a misprint for the crossover frequency of the 8". I have them crossed over at 350hz, not at 550hz. My previous tune was at 550 and I lowered them in the last set up. My apologies.

·
Mobile Audio SQ
3,390 Posts
I Have Dynamat on the doors in key locations to ensure that the metal does not resonate at all. The bigger problem was dampening the plastic door panel itself. The 8's do move a substantial amount of air so it was critical that I deadened the back of the door panels tremendously.
I have 8's in my doors as well and ended up doing the entire door card with dampener and then stuffed acoustic open cell foam(egg crate foam) into all the nooks and crannies.
How so you like the 6" as a midrange down in the kick? Does it image and stage well?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have 8's in my doors as well and ended up doing the entire door card with dampener and then stuffed acoustic open cell foam(egg crate foam) into all the nooks and crannies.
How so you like the 6" as a midrange down in the kick? Does it image and stage well?
I like the 6" in the kick panels angled up. The tweeters mounted in the dash pull the image right up in front of you. At no time do I ever notice the 6" or 8"s pulling the image down low.

Also with the time alignment and reflections I get a very well centered stage position in the drivers seat. It pushes the image out from each ear about 25 feet left and right. and about a 20 foot illusion of depth in front of the windshield.

I put a friend of mine in the seat, he's a professional musician. He completely freaked out over the accuracy of the system. Could not believe what he was hearing. It was a fun moment.

Played Yellow "The Race" for him and the engine noise going right to left and left to right really impressed him, he thought it was coming from outside the truck.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts