DIYMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone ...lurking around for a while and trying to read as much as I can. Just bought a 2015 Toyota tundra crewmax with the standard radio (not JBL). The truck currently has factory speakers ... front door 6x9 and dash 3.5" (with a center). The rear doors are 6x9 with a tweeter in the door. I am coming from an 2015 F150 that had the kicker upgrade system installed which to my ears was a pretty good system. The truck on the other hand no so much :)

I have been reading a lot about DSPs and especially the ones with auto tuning like the MS8, minidsp DL, kicker key, etc. I initially thought about one of those but ended up buying a helix P Six DSP MK2 with the director. Helix seems to be a nice piece of kit based on all of people that use them. It will be a learning curve for me but I don't mind spending some time learning how to tune.

I ordered the new phoenix automotive tesla style head unit which has android 10 and built in CarPlay. This may not be the best source unit but hopefully it is adequate for SQ. It does have RCA outs but does not have optical out.

I plan to put some dampener on the doors and use the fast rings. The rear wall behind the subwoofer will also be treated. I still need to do a lot of research in this area.

What should I do for speakers? Since I only have 6 powered channels and two not powered I am leaning towards installing a 6.5" or 8" in the front door and a tweeter in the sail panels and running them active off the DSP. That would use 4 of the six channels. Then maybe using the remaining two channels to power one or two subwoofers behind the rear seat? I would leave the dash speakers including the center and the rear door speakers disconnected. I also considered doing a three way set up with 6.5 in doors, tweeters on sail panels and 3.5s in the dash on the left and right. That would use all of my amplified channels so I would need to add another amplifier for a subwoofer. Maybe an 8" mid bass would be good enough to not use a sub?

It looks like the audio frog GB60s / GB15s are a very popular two way setup but they are expensive. Its not completely out of the question but if i could go for something less expensive it would help since I still need to buy a pre-manufactured sub box, supplies, etc. I thought about the stereo integrity speaker series but then I read the report attached to this tread Report: Audiofrog GB60 and Stereo Integrity TM65 mkII and it seems like the SI doesn't cover the needed frequency range well for a two way setup (I know there are newer versions that may differ).

Appreciate any thoughts you might have.

· Super Moderator
2021 GMC Sierra AT4
1,099 Posts
Hi everyone ...lurking around for a while and trying to read as much as I can. Just bought a 2015 Toyota tundra crewmax with the standard radio (not JBL). The truck currently has factory speakers ... front door 6x9 and dash 3.5" (with a center). The rear doors are 6x9 with a tweeter in the door. I am coming from an 2015 F150 that had the kicker upgrade system installed which to my ears was a pretty good system. The truck on the other hand no so much :)

I have been reading a lot about DSPs and especially the ones with auto tuning like the MS8, minidsp DL, kicker key, etc. I initially thought about one of those but ended up buying a helix P Six DSP MK2 with the director. Helix seems to be a nice piece of kit based on all of people that use them. It will be a learning curve for me but I don't mind spending some time learning how to tune.

I ordered the new phoenix automotive tesla style head unit which has android 10 and built in CarPlay. This may not be the best source unit but hopefully it is adequate for SQ. It does have RCA outs but does not have optical out.

I plan to put some dampener on the doors and use the fast rings. The rear wall behind the subwoofer will also be treated. I still need to do a lot of research in this area.

What should I do for speakers? Since I only have 6 powered channels and two not powered I am leaning towards installing a 6.5" or 8" in the front door and a tweeter in the sail panels and running them active off the DSP. That would use 4 of the six channels. Then maybe using the remaining two channels to power one or two subwoofers behind the rear seat? I would leave the dash speakers including the center and the rear door speakers disconnected. I also considered doing a three way set up with 6.5 in doors, tweeters on sail panels and 3.5s in the dash on the left and right. That would use all of my amplified channels so I would need to add another amplifier for a subwoofer. Maybe an 8" mid bass would be good enough to not use a sub?

It looks like the audio frog GB60s / GB15s are a very popular two way setup but they are expensive. Its not completely out of the question but if i could go for something less expensive it would help since I still need to buy a pre-manufactured sub box, supplies, etc. I thought about the stereo integrity speaker series but then I read the report attached to this tread Report: Audiofrog GB60 and Stereo Integrity TM65 mkII and it seems like the SI doesn't cover the needed frequency range well for a two way setup (I know there are newer versions that may differ).

Appreciate any thoughts you might have.
depending how long you are willing to wait. I’ll have a 6 week old set of GB60s and GB15s coming out of my truck in 2.5-3 weeks or so that I’ll be selling.

· Registered
524 Posts
Get a Helix P Two amp for subs. Get (2) 10" Shallow Subs and build box behind rear seat. Cancel center channel speaker. Use GS62s for rear fill, GB60s front doors, GB15 Sail Panels or Corner Dash Locations. You will have a nice sounding rig.

· Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Good luck trying to get good sound from that tesla style radio. I recommend you get rid of it and get something with 4-5v preouts.
Yeah this is a concern. This is the latest version so I am hoping for a little better quality than the prior models. It looks like they finally got canbus integration right but we will see how the audio is.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.