DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

41 - 48 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Thanks all. Figuring it out as I go, with a lot of help from this forum. Trying to do an hour a day, just to keep making progress, but I'm getting tired of climbing into and out of this trunk.

Mounting the baffle and test fitting the box. I attempted to wrap the baffle in vinyl. Thought it would be stretchier, and ended up ripping it in a few places as I tried to get it around the corners, but it passes the five foot test.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
And here's my attempt to seal up all of the irregularities at the bottom of the trunk floor. Thanks to mumbles for the advice.

I used CLD tiles to cover the gaps, CCF on top of that. Now going to come from the front side, and shoot some foam in there to fill the void.

Will it work and/or improve the sound? I don't know, but worth a shot. I also plan to eventually come back and finish deadening the rest of the trunk. But this is where I ran out of foam (and patience).

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Thanks all. Appreciate the encouragement.

So I got everything wired up and, wouldn't you know it, seems like one of the amps was blown. Nothing but crackles and pops coming out of it. Sent it out to Arc, and have been using the other to power everything for now.

At first I was a little concerned about the subs, sounded boomy and were only playing one note, but as they've broken in they've started to sound real good. Cranked it for a bit yesterday and the tone and impact were both great. So I'm going to mark the install as successful.

Front stage is still good, but the midranges really want more power. Will have to wait for the other amp for that.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Turned out really nice!! the finished product will be killer.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Few more pics of the "finished" install.

Doesn't look quite as clean with all those wires running around. Guess that'll be reason enough to upgrade my DSP in the future and go down to one box.

And the trunk. Still need to make a trim panel and protect those subs, but for now I'm kinda digging the wood box.

So that's it for Phase 1. I've really been enjoying it, and rediscovering my CD collection that reaches back to the 90s. Stage is on the dash, pillar to pillar. Stays plenty clear at loud volumes. Haven't spent too much time tweaking the tune beyond my initial set-up (which only took about 20 minutes following the Audiofrog tuning guide). There's definitely room for improvement: the sub isn't integrated real well, and there's some boominess in the midbass. But I'm plenty happy for the time and money that I've put into it.

Now on to Phase 2...

41 - 48 of 48 Posts