DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2015 CC VR6 4moiton Executive, Dynaudio 10 speaker 600watt factory system, JL Audio sub, Alpine amp
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone! I'm new here and would like to document my upcoming build with photos and work from me, and input and advice from you! Feel free to tell me anything you would do differently and especially tell me if I'm doing anything wrong!

I expect this to be a long journey, as I don't have the funds to do everything all at once, and I want to do this MOSTLY myself! I understand I lack certain technical skills to achieve my goals, but with your help and research by myself, I believe I will be very happy at the end of it all!

Here is the new to me car completely stock. I just got it back from the body shop where they painted the rims black. I washed it really well, taking notes of any potential issues or areas in need of immediate attention. It looks to be very clean inside and out, so I will move forward after a good polish and wax. The windows will be tinted this Saturday with 20% ceramic. I would have liked to polish and wax it today, but as you can see in the photos, it's about to start thunderstorming.

Thank you and enjoy!

Ryan

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
Nice car to start with.

what kind of system are you planning to install... - 2 or 3 way + sub? active/passive? sub - Free air or enclosed (sealed/ported?) Give us some specific info, so we can give some suggestions to you.

Good luck with the project!

·
Registered
2015 CC VR6 4moiton Executive, Dynaudio 10 speaker 600watt factory system, JL Audio sub, Alpine amp
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the kind words! I have been blessed with many things that I don't feel I rightly deserve, and this car is one of those things.

The plan so far is to start by sound treating the interior as best I can to lay down a solid foundation for any future improvements, no matter how extreme. I've done this before in four different vehicles I've owned and they've all shown marked improvement in sound quality and road noise. Once that's done I plan on installing a subwoofer and amplifier that I'm carrying over from my last vehicle. The sub is a JL Audio basswedge ported 10" powered by an Alpine S-A60M mono amp [email protected] I also have an Audio Control DQ-61 LOC and miscellaneous wiring/fuses I had in my M3. I'll be tapping into the front 3-way components to create a signal for the subwoofer as I'm currently running the factory VW infotainment system. I'm seriously considering an iPad as a source unit, but until that happens I'll stick with the stock RNS-510. The car came with the premium Dynaudio 10 speaker option which I have to say is very impressive. 3-way components in front, 2-ways in back, and a 10 channel 600watt amp/dsp. Later down the road I'd like to power the front 3-ways with a 6 channel amp/dsp and slowly start replacing things with reference series pieces.

This is my daily driver but also my hobby car, so stuff will come in small batches, funds permitting. I would also like to try my hand in a custom enclosure and amp rack down the road, but I digress.

Thanks!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I finally had some time to work on the car a little bit this week and I also got some goodies in the mail thanks to the stimulus check and my tax return! Windows also got tinted with ceramic @ 20%. Things are going to move a little faster now that I am working less and I have most everything to get going.

Here are a few pics of the car:

Some of the materials:

And I have to show you these:

Thank you,

Ryan

·
Registered
5,703 Posts
That’s a great foundation to start with vehicle wise, looking forward to seeing what you add daily to this build.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I started mocking up an amp rack today and ran into a little problem I could use some advice on. I’m planning on adding at least one more amplifier and several more accessories to the build, so I’m using a couple different distribution blocks to keep my options open. In the past I would’ve set up a ground block as well, to ground all the different components. I ran this setup by a local installer and he told me I should get rid of the grounding block and just ground each component separately. I informed him that I don’t exactly know how many amplifiers I’ll end up with, but I don’t want to go drilling a bunch of holes in my car to ground each piece individually. He said that I could possibly be introducing noise into the system by running everything off one ground block. I thought that if I kept everything localized in one area, and I used 1/0 gauge to feed the distribution blocks and secondary battery, I’d be able to use one block. Do you folks know the best way to approach this grounding issue? I’m not sure what size secondary battery I’ll use, so I have the XS Power XP750 penciled in at the moment. He also said I should go with the D680 instead of the XP750.

Here is the mock-up of the amp rack as it is right now, with the ground blocks and the XP750:
ED9D4165-D234-4A83-9FE6-EF86CC4BCD2C.jpeg

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Update…
I’ll probably ditch the secondary battery idea and focus on the wiring instead. I won’t need the extra power at first and the stock battery is more important anyway; it’s got the original battery and it’s almost six years old! Thanks

·
Registered
2019 Subaru WRX Base 6-speed
561 Posts
Nice! Following, keep it up that is a nice ride abs a solid foundation for a system, IMO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 8 of 8 Posts