DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

41 - 60 of 123 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Tagging along for this one. Love the attention to detail!
The devil is in the details :D
Holly shit this build is freaking awesome. Your skills matches your gear. Fantastic!
Thanks. I remember getting all the gear for the last build (the Audi Q7) and thinking "whoah nice stuff, gotta do this stuff justice".
Once again you are knocking it out the box. :)
Thank you sir!
Very impressive! Looks great so far! Keep up the good work!
Cheers!

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Today's quick update :blush:

Got the sub box baffle sanded. Even though it is going to be wrapped in carpet, it is important with a good foundation for my own peace of mind :rolleyes:

I chose to mount a SpeakOn contact to allow to easy disconnect when I need to remove the box. Hotglued both from the inside and the outside:

I got speaker cable terminated, techflexed and soldered onto the SpeakOn contact followed by heatshrink tubing:

Upholstered in carpet:

And finally test fitted in the trunk:

The color match is ok-ish, but the carpet has a different surface structure to it which doesn't matchup entirely with the rest of the trunk panels. Looks alright and considering most of the trunk floor will be wrapped in the same carpet I think it will look ok. If not I can always dye the carpet or simply wrap the other panels in the trunk. I'm very happy about the fitment of the box, it is spot on :D

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Man I'll pat your back for you,that came out stock looking.I still rock my FG enclosure I made myself for the 1st time and really proud of it.Its's not perfect but it does the job and space saving.That amp rack is just killer.

·
Registered
60 Posts
what internal volume were you able to get out of the fg box? lookong awesome! ... i wanted a 12" sub but didn't have the internal volume to fit one in, most of the subs i looked at recommended a 1.0 cubic foot or so. Still jealous of your amps!!!

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Man I'll pat your back for you,that came out stock looking.I still rock my FG enclosure I made myself for the 1st time and really proud of it.Its's not perfect but it does the job and space saving.That amp rack is just killer.
Thanks buddy!
Love these steath factory installs. So clean looking. Keep it up!
Thanks!
Man, the sub box looks OEM, very cool.
Yeah, happy with how it came out, cheers.
what internal volume were you able to get out of the fg box? lookong awesome! ... i wanted a 12" sub but didn't have the internal volume to fit one in, most of the subs i looked at recommended a 1.0 cubic foot or so. Still jealous of your amps!!!
Acutally I managed to squeeze out just shy of 1 cubic foot, I was also hesitant to start with and figured I needed to go down to a 10". The volume is less than the recommended sealed enclosure volume but I also intend to pack it with insulation material. I guess I'll see shortly if it will work or not. Worst case I'll drop down to a 10" and attach a new baffle to the box.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Hi folks!

A bit of an update today, managed to get some work done. Nothing that will actually show as part of the final install - focus on power and ground distribution, relay remote turn on and mounting of processor etc.

Started out by getting the panels out of the left side of the trunk:

Took some measurements as I wanted to maximise the realestate for the processor mounting as it will also host some additonal distribution. Spent a long time figuring out how to mount the panel for the processor (6to8v8). I extended a bracket down from an existing screw to secure the upper end of the panel. Behind the panel was one of the fastening screws for the shelf upon which I'm placing the panel and I fabricated a coutout in the panel in order to get to it:

Layout I'm going for:

Thought I would try out the Technic Harness this time, provides 4 channel low-level preout and remote. No cutting into OEM cables, just plug-n-play:

Build quality seems good and the OEM connectors locking mechanism also works:

Then I felt a hunger coming on and tossed together a small cable sallad:

To ensure proper cable management down to the amp rack I shaped a piece of MDF which got wrapped in vinyl and securely mounted using an existing screw and nut, followed by cable tie anchors:

Of course I also wrapped the panel for the processer in the same vinyl, even it nothing of this will be displayed as part of the install:

Then I moved on to running power and ground wires, remote wires and mounting relay and fuseblock covering the auxiliary powered stuff:

I'm making good progress towards closing this phase of the build, just missing some longer signal cables to run from the processor to the amp rack and the remote turn on leads for the amps. Once this is done, I can mount the amps, start work on covering panels and mount the subwoofer box and finally be out of the trunk. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Hi folks,

Got started on fabricating and running speaker cables yesterday. Will be using quick connects so that I can disconnect the amp rack if need be.

Going to run both lenghts up front and then secure everything using wire strips to the car. I'm also running cables for the DRC and USB for the PC up front while I'm at it :rolleyes:

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
First, great job! It looks great!

Second, what kind of quick disconnects are you using?
They are just som connectors I picked up at a local electronics store. Challenge was find connectors accepting up to 2,5 mm2 (~14 gauge) cables. Not sure of the brand, can see if I can find out.

Hard to find something to say here that someone else hasn't, but fantastic work sir...enjoying the show!
Cheers! :blush:

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
Hi folks!

A small update on what has been done in the recent days. There will be a short period now during which I will be unable to work on the build due to various reasons (e.g. work etc.) :(

I have continued with the speaker wiring. I put together two cable lenghts containing the wiring for the midbass, midrange and tweeters per side, in the trunk these were terminated using quick connectors to enable lifting out the rack if necessary:

Both cable lenghts (excluding the right midbass) are then routed in the sill on the driver's side. Bundled and secured to existing anchor points or existing cabling approximately every 10 cm:

And on the passenger side:

I then continued running the rca's from the processor to the amp rack, started out by labelling the indvidual pairs:

The next challenge was to solve the securing of the amp rack in the tub. I made two new angled end pieces that I secured in existing mounting holes in the rim around the tub:

Not that these parts will ever be seen, but not the final finish here. With all of this in place so far I testfitted the amps. Unfortunately I did not have enough speaker cable and techflex, so will redo the speaker wiring from the top amp to the quick connects.

With the amps test fitted I can now start measuring for covers and also reinstall some trunk panels etc. Following this, I will need to mount the midbass speakers unde the front seats, run speaker cable into the doors and also mount the midrange and tweeters and also some small stuff :rolleyes:

Cheers!

41 - 60 of 123 Posts