DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!
I recently sold my Porsche Boxster and got a larger vehicle for my wife. This leaves me with a 2016 Impreza sedan. 154 horsepower is great for commuting! At least it's still manual.

It comes with a 4 speaker stereo that really leaves a lot to be desired. There are add-on tweeters available, but I am sure they would disappoint. For this build, I am going to keep the stock head unit as it has a backup cam, steering wheel controls and BT. (It's not good, but I'm not going to change the unit unless I absolutely have to.

My plan is to put tweeters in the stock dash locations, the largest woofers I can in the doors an amp and possibly a DSP.
To get me through the winter I started out with the tweeters.
Dayton RST28F-4 without faceplates fit with a little bit of cutting. I put 15uF caps in line which should put the crossovers at ~2500hz for now. I know this is low, but it was basically a test.
This is an enormous improvement over stock.

Future plans are for RS180s in the doors and a single 4 channel amp. DSP depends on what I do for an amp. Something with a good crossover section would pretty much negate my need for a DSP.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I realized after posting that this thread will be incredibly boring. Sorry.
Here are my previous build threads that were a little more interesting:
2001 Audi S4 (Active 2ch, Partial tweeter array and an IB 15)
2002 Porsche Boxster S (DSP in gutted stock amp, active 2ch)

Yesterday I swapped out the driver side tweeter, as it was ringing/resonating a bit intermittently. THANK YOU to Parts Express for sending me a new one.
I took the tweeter apart to see if there was any obvious flaw. I'll keep it as a spare, it might be OK at a higher xover. A replacement diaphragm is only $20 if I need one.

Here are some pics of the tweeter grills I had to grind down a bit for the dome to fit.

I feel like I should modify the stock grills to make it an open frame with grill cloth.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts