DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
17,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Happy Saturday everyone! We just wrapped up a video for my friend Johns 2016 Subaru Crosstrek. This video is a bit different in that it is pretty much a time-lapse of the whole process of building the sail panel "monitors", as well as some tidbits of making the custom amp cover, and a final walkthrough/thoughts from John. Pics and descriptions will come later. Enjoy

·
Registered
17 Posts
Nice job on the sail panels, keeping the mid and tweet on the same plane and as close together helps reduce the tuning timing. Love the plastic work

·
Registered
17,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nice job on the sail panels, keeping the mid and tweet on the same plane and as close together helps reduce the tuning timing. Love the plastic work
Thank you. The reason i believe the mounting of the mid/tweeter work so well is because you not only have the correct timing in the direct response, but the off axis response/reflections are also in time/in phase. Every setup we have done like this has been a grand slam sound wise.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Looks great! Looking forward to get a listen.
Is this the same car he had back in 2018?... I thought he sold it

·
Registered
17 Posts
I knew Bob Morrow while he was alive. He served as a technical adviser for Morel and Hybrid but he died not too long ago. He always like to keep both on the same plane and as close together as possible, this way they act as a single speaker since they both arrive at your ear at the same time. I am working on deadening my truck with now a layer of barrier. I am using B-Quiet L-comp which is now not available. I am creating an infinite baffle and doing my best to seal the truck from the cab. This is another favorite of Bob as the Sub has no constraints and usually has a more linear response. I need to get an idea on how to finish the top of the trunk. I have deadened it with Ballistic Competition deadening. I really like that deaden material because it is the thickest I have found on the market. I plan on putting Vcomp and the want to have some sort of panel that will sandwich the deadening material. I have a couple of attachment points where there are nut plates in the back deck. I will need to seal the top since there was a stock sub there. Plan on deadening it and then glassing, then put some sort of beauty board. This means there will be full deadening below and above the rear deck.

Do you have any pictures or posts around creating a upper roof deck that is installed in the trunk? I need some schooling :)

·
Registered
17,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Looks great! Looking forward to get a listen.
Is this the same car he had back in 2018?... I thought he sold it
Thanks! And yeah man, same car and its really damn good. Definitely an improvement. Itll actually be back monday to make a few presets on the director after hes had a bit of listening time. If you're not to busy you already know you're more than welcome to stop by and hang out and listen to whatever. And steal more deadener lol :)

·
Registered
17,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I knew Bob Morrow while he was alive. He served as a technical adviser for Morel and Hybrid but he died not too long ago. He always like to keep both on the same plane and as close together as possible, this way they act as a single speaker since they both arrive at your ear at the same time. I am working on deadening my truck with now a layer of barrier. I am using B-Quiet L-comp which is now not available. I am creating an infinite baffle and doing my best to seal the truck from the cab. This is another favorite of Bob as the Sub has no constraints and usually has a more linear response. I need to get an idea on how to finish the top of the trunk. I have deadened it with Ballistic Competition deadening. I really like that deaden material because it is the thickest I have found on the market. I plan on putting Vcomp and the want to have some sort of panel that will sandwich the deadening material. I have a couple of attachment points where there are nut plates in the back deck. I will need to seal the top since there was a stock sub there. Plan on deadening it and then glassing, then put some sort of beauty board. This means there will be full deadening below and above the rear deck.

Do you have any pictures or posts around creating a upper roof deck that is installed in the trunk? I need some schooling :)
The reason i believe that keeping them in the same plane vertically, isnt as simple as they can act like a single speaker and arrive at your ears at the same time. If the speakers are in different locations you can still use delays to make the DIRECT response in time. The problem is there is no way to control the on and off axis response of a speaker separately. Since the horizontal plane is more important in relation to dispersion, we want them vertically and close so not only the on axis response is in time/phase, but so is the off axis/reflected response. We have noticed some seriously good improvements when doing relatively simple systems with this method.

·
Registered
91 Posts
That's the beauty of editing ??? I could watch them work as well, I watch most all the builder shows on TV and a few on youtube.

The tips and tricks, showing all the work that goes into this stuff is much appreciated.

·
Registered
17,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Lol, thanks guys. for our videos we tend to just go with the flow and show who we are without any filter on who we are, because frankly, thats part of what makes these videos good. Getting to see how Kevin and I really are when around each other. We're a fun group of guys, and it only gets better when Matei comes by as well. Unfortunately hes down south until the spring, so he probably wont be in my videos any time soon.

·
Registered
17,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That said, heres the rest of the build log..

Hey everyone, we are back with another build log. This time its my buddy John's 2017 Subaru Crosstrek. I met John via Facebook years ago, back when he was into SPL and didnt have any experience with sound quality what so ever. Fast forward a few years and he stops by my place (back when i was working out of my driveway) to start going over options for a system that would be on the sound quality side of things but could still get loud enough to satisfy his output desires. Long story short, what he was seemingly looking for would require a ton of work with some larger and/or higher efficiency drivers with a lot of power. We did that system together over the course of a few months and it sounded great, but it was a bit much install wise. Fast forward to today, and hes much busier with work, and his needs/wants in the system have shifted. This time he wanted to tone down the "extremeness" of the install while still having great sound with plenty of output, a usable trunk, and door panels that didnt weigh a ton. This led us to the following equipment list.

. Kenwood DMX705s
. Helix DSP Pro Mk2 with the Helix Director
. Zapco Z-150.6AP . Zapco Z-2KDii
. Audiofrog GB10
. Audiofrog GB25
. Audiofrog GB60
. (2) Illusion Audio C12XL

The Crosstrek has a small triangle shaped window that is forward of the main door windows. If you have been following our recent builds, you will have noticed that we are a fan of placing speakers in the sail panel area, and this window spot just makes things easier. This location for mounting mids and tweeters in a vertical arrangement have proven to work extremely well for us on multiple occasions for us in the past, and we decided to stick with a proven formula. Here you can see the laser cutting out the acrylic layers that will make up the baffles to house the GB25's and GB10's.

Baffles and grills cut. The layers for the baffle were adhered with acrylic cement, and then the grills with a 45 degree chamfer applied.

Riv-nuts were placed on the doors window frame to secure the pods.

The grills were painted in a matching silver and clear coat

The pods finished with the drivers installed before the grills were put in place.

·
Registered
17,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sail pods finished and grills installed

Unfortunately, we didnt get much of the trunk build besides the finishing bits. On the Zapco Z-2KDii, we fabricated an acrylic cover with the zapco logo engraved into the underside of it and installed an LED strip to light it up. It was a nice finishing touch and will actually be a service we offer from now on. We also fabricated aluminum mounting feet that secure to the amp using the OEM machine screws on the side plates.

The best part, we made a carpeted cover for the whole trunk and the whole trunk space is fully retained.

Thanks for looking!

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
We're a fun group of guys, and it only gets better when Matei comes by as well. Unfortunately hes down south until the spring, so he probably wont be in my videos any time soon.
Is he in East Tennessee down south? I may need to get him to install some stuff. :) Really nice job on the build!

·
Registered
17,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Is he in East Tennessee down south? I may need to get him to install some stuff. :) Really nice job on the build!
Thank you. And he is in Myrle Beach for the time being.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Damn Nick, you and Kevin are some talented individuals. Just when I start thinking I’ve had enough of car audio I get motivated again to go back for more after watching you guys work. Might be time to make some changes to the CX5 even though it already sounds good.

·
Registered
17,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Damn Nick, you and Kevin are some talented individuals. Just when I start thinking I’ve had enough of car audio I get motivated again to go back for more after watching you guys work. Might be time to make some changes to the CX5 even though it already sounds good.
Thank you. what do you want to try in the cx5?

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Thank you. what do you want to try in the cx5?
Nick, I wanted to take the current two way front stage GB15, GB60, GB12D2 in my CX5 and upgrade to a three way GB10, GB25, and add another GB12D2 to the one I have now in the same ported configuration. I have the drivers already and a bunch of 4 channel amps and I have a preliminary ported box design similar to the one I already have but with two round flared ports that barely fit in my hatch. I could go sealed like you did with that Subaru and gain a lot of usable space but I believe the low end output won’t be much of an upgrade over my current single ported box based on all the modeling I did. I just need to execute the box design and figure out the placement of the GB10/GB25 and additional amplifier and I have some idea on that. I almost started working on the sub box last weekend but something came up that nixed my opportunity. Part of the fun in this for me is just building the box. That part I enjoy very much. For a short while I contemplated just selling the drivers and amps I have and just leaving the CX5 as it is.

I went from a two way front stage GB10/JL C5 in my Ford F-150 truck to three way GB10/GB25/C5 and love it, although the two way in my CX5 is so good that it’s not a big difference compared to my trucks three way. I’m guessing that may have a lot to do with the vehicle acoustics more than anything and the GB12 as you know is just better than the SD3 10. Kevin had a brief listen to my CX5 last year and I’ve improved the tune a little bit since then.

Maybe I’ll get an opportunity to attend one of your meets this year and an opportunity to learn some more. I would love to have the opportunity to listen to one of the cars you tuned and see it up close. That would be great. Last year Kevin’s car sounded really good but no surprise there.

·
Registered
17,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Nick, I wanted to take the current two way front stage GB15, GB60, GB12D2 in my CX5 and upgrade to a three way GB10, GB25, and add another GB12D2 to the one I have now in the same ported configuration. I have the drivers already and a bunch of 4 channel amps and I have a preliminary ported box design similar to the one I already have but with two round flared ports that barely fit in my hatch. I could go sealed like you did with that Subaru and gain a lot of usable space but I believe the low end output won’t be much of an upgrade over my current single ported box based on all the modeling I did. I just need to execute the box design and figure out the placement of the GB10/GB25 and additional amplifier and I have some idea on that. I almost started working on the sub box last weekend but something came up that nixed my opportunity. Part of the fun in this for me is just building the box. That part I enjoy very much. For a short while I contemplated just selling the drivers and amps I have and just leaving the CX5 as it is.

I went from a two way front stage GB10/JL C5 in my Ford F-150 truck to three way GB10/GB25/C5 and love it, although the two way in my CX5 is so good that it’s not a big difference compared to my trucks three way. I’m guessing that may have a lot to do with the vehicle acoustics more than anything and the GB12 as you know is just better than the SD3 10. Kevin had a brief listen to my CX5 last year and I’ve improved the tune a little bit since then.

Maybe I’ll get an opportunity to attend one of your meets this year and an opportunity to learn some more. I would love to have the opportunity to listen to one of the cars you tuned and see it up close. That would be great. Last year Kevin’s car sounded really good but no surprise there.
John, you are always more than welcome to come by regardless if there is a meet going on or not. You know that lol. That said going from 2 way to 3 way in my personal car was the biggest upgrade I've made so far. I recommend it. That said, maybe try sealed with the 2 with a prefab box. I really think youd be surprised.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 23 Posts