DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Thanks Nick, I will eventually get to your place. I’ll be needing some ResoNix at some point too for these boxes. I think I’m going to build one dual sealed box and one dual ported box for testing purposes and see how they sound. I’ve had the GB12 in a single sealed box I built before and it sounded as expected, very nice, but output wasn’t where I like it compared to the ported box, so no surprise there. I also have these budget JBL 12” subs that sound surprisingly great in that same sealed box I built for the GB12. I let my brother-in-law listen and compare the sealed JBL to my ported GB12 and he preferred the JBL, so even though he’s a complete noob, I think that’s saying something. Of course, for sheer low distortion output the GB12 wins, lol, and I still prefer the ported box.

Actually, at the next GTG meet here I think I’m going to bring the sealed JBL sub and let a whole bunch of people try it compared to the ported GB12 in a blind test and see where that goes just for the fun of it. I wish I still had my SA12 so I could let people hear the difference in distortion for those that preach you can’t hear the difference in subwoofers. I would have done this as a blind test and I bet they would hear the difference. That should be fun for enthusiasts and make things interesting at the meet. Not saying the SA12 was ever bad because it wasn’t, but it did sound noticeably different, sort of less precise with more coloration in the sound but still a good sound for those that prefer that. It was also very loud! I would like to set up a small blind A vs B amplifier comparison station too if I can find a quiet place to set everything up that can hold a lot of people with acceptable acoustics. They could bring their own golden amps and pit them up blindly against some budget amps to see how they fare. That I think would make things interesting.

Talk to you later Nick and thank you.

·
Registered
427 Posts
I recently had the opportunity to listen to Nick and Kevin's cars at Apicella Auto Sound. Easily two of the best sounding cars I've ever heard. Nick told me this Crosstrek even sounds better than his own car. Beautiful work guys. John, don't be afraid to try the dual sealed subs. I think you will find the output of two subs to be very similar to the single ported sub. That way you can give all of us a comparison of sealed vs. ported. I for one would be very interested. I also love the idea of a get together with everyone having a homework assignment. Bring a sub with enclosure. Do a quick down and dirty tune. Then everyone can give their impressions.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts