DIYMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

DIY - 2016 Venza build log - I am going to keep at it until i get it right 😊

83K views 543 replies 59 participants last post by  AudioGal 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey all, I thought i would share my ideas, build and journey out there with the masses . I am no professional and I like to try different approaches and ideas. Learning as I go.

My goal is to get as close to the 2 channel home audio experience in my car as I can. My previous Yaris build was a great learning experience and I am going to build on top of that.

I do not have the system fully planned out and I am faking it till I make it. This is a SQ build not a boom boom or sql build.

I am going to use all my previous equipment.

tweets - Brax ML1
Mids - Brax GL6
Midbass - Brax ML 8
Rear fill - Brax GL3
Sub = ?

Proc. - Helix Ultra

Amps - (2) helix C-fours
(1) helix C-one.

Source - Fiio m11 pro - coax out
and maybe deck integration.

All positive , sharing of ideas, and inquiry focused conversation welcome and negative stuff keep to yourself please.

Let the journey begin with a .........

Vehicle selfie :D

Automotive parking light Tire Wheel Car Land vehicle

See less See more
#2 ·
Welcome back! Looking forward to your new project! Please keep us posted.

Reactions: AudioGal
#3 ·
Okay were to start. i could not decide so I thought why not cut a hole in a a-pillar then I have to start. I then formed up a mock baffle to play with arrangement and mechanical fit testing (MFT). The pillars in the Venza inspire lots of opportunistic thoughts. This will be my first first integrated pillar build, so both exciting and nerve wrecking!

Vehicle Hood Automotive mirror Plant Automotive tire
Automotive side-view mirror Car Automotive lighting Hood Automotive mirror

#4 ·
But... I knew this was not the dream plan i had for the car when I bought so I threw away that idea and decided to upsize o_O

I made another mock baffle built up a basic structure and sealed it with high-end acoustic duct tape, lol, Again MFT and proof of concept.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Road surface Automotive lighting
Hood Automotive tire Automotive design Motor vehicle Automotive lighting

#5 ·
Outside looking in. I drove around with this arrangement for a day or two to see how it would impact the practical vehicle usage. And the impact was hardly noticeable due to the Venza dash profile and pillar design.

Car Vehicle Hood Motor vehicle Automotive lighting

#7 ·
I am thinking this is really going to work, so I thought i would shoot it with the RTA to see what I am dealing with in reality. the mock enclosure is vented into the dash through the tweeter panel which was removed. I put a decent amount of poly and wool into the enclosure to help control the back wave not knowing what to expect. Below is the RTA capture. I think I put a bit of a low shelf filter at 150hz down to lift it a bit. Tweet and mid crossed at 2.2Khz. I listened to mono music for a while and then decided to see if I can make this happen. By all accounts the results are promising. I expect the cabin gain to be much less above the dash however I have certain goals in mind.

Colorfulness Product Rectangle Azure Black

#15 · (Edited)
back seat view. With 6.5 on axis in the dash and almost no impact to driver visibility , which I am pretty happy about.

Sky Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive design

#19 ·
Pillars are roughed in using baltic birch strips. My garage does not have enough light so I brought them inside to take a pic or two. I rebuilt each pillar twice to get the shape that i was going for. Lots of work still to do to get them into shape but I am liking the progress so far.

Wood Automotive design Eyewear Beige Audio equipment
Cabinetry Table Wood Flooring Drawer

Watercraft Wood Boat Boats and boating--Equipment and supplies Automotive design

#24 ·
My first ever purchase from an autobody supply store. The guys did not know what to make of me and my project so it was fun messing with them 🤪

Automotive tire Bumper Tread Gas Automotive exterior

#26 ·
ya for sure, it has been given to my daughter as her first car. almost all the previous install was removed and more basic stuff put back in. She still goes on drives to listen to music in her car which is cool.