DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
281 - 300 of 323 Posts

·
Registered
5,411 Posts
You have been extremely industrious! Taking advantage of the weather conditions while you can You have a wonderful design philosophy of being able to easily return to stock, and great execution. Good to have this trio us and unglamorous part behind you - it will certainly pay dividends in the future

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #283 ·
You have been extremely industrious! Taking advantage of the weather conditions while you can
You have a wonderful design philosophy of being able to easily return to stock, and great execution. Good to have this trio us and unglamorous part behind you - it will certainly pay dividends in the future

Thanks bertholomey, you are definitely a source of encouragement and I definitely appreciate it !!! I figured if i spread out the crap work it will be less daunting and more manageable. And at the cost of materials today it is a necessity anyhow, lol!!

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #284 ·
If you see yourself setting cargo on that amp rack, I would definitely go with a bed liner type material rather than just painting it.
This part of the amp rack will be totally covered in trim panels so it will not be seen unless the panels are removed. the trim panels will need to be a combination of durable and pretty which will be interesting. I am leaning to bed liner anyhow as i do like the durability factor and save the SEM trim paint when i refinish my front A-pillar pods is what i am thinking.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #286 ·
And a basic trim panel design i was thinking about. the idea was to create significant ventilation opportunities through the front and top of the trim panels while keeping it simple and purposeful. I am unsure about lighting as i find most of that stuff i seen done not to my taste at all but i am not ruling something out. The top amp grills would be made to match the ML8 grill look from the front of the car to tie in the look and have something understated and stands the test of time. the rest of the panel would be covered in black vinyl. I am undecided but I thought i would share out some ideas as that can be a great crucible to end up with something better overall. :cool:

the verbiage panels would be done up to tie into the rack and may be lighted, not sure. They attach to the front of the rack on the vertical risers. Just spit balling some ideas and sharing where the amp rack is headed to. Nothing is finalized.

There should be no cables visible through the trim ( beauty) panels and everything should look pretty clean and modern.

I am thinking with this amount of ventilation and in our colder climate up here that fans should not be needed however i could accommodate them in the future if i thought they where necessary :)

Rectangle Slope Font Parallel Technology

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #289 ·
I like the Visio arrangement... I hope I don't come across as telling you what to do, but, when it comes to logos, equipment changes frequently so the idea of your screen name and slogan would stand up over time.
thanks mumbles no problem at all feedback is welcomed and i totally agree that is one reason i pulled them off the rack.

Although at the cost of the new gear i will not be changing anytime soon. I tend not to equipment flip in general lol!!

·
Premium Member
2,063 Posts
thanks mumbles no problem at all feedback is welcomed and i totally agree that is one reason i pulled them off the rack.

Although at the cost of the new gear i will not be changing anytime soon. I tend not to equipment flip in general lol!!
True, not many upgrade paths from what you have! :)

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #291 ·
True, not many upgrade paths from what you have! :)
I have been in home audio (decades really) long enough to realize that better does not necessarily exist at some point and it comes down to chocolate or vanilla, or purple over orange. Pick your paint color or favorite flavor you like and go with it and feel no guilt 🤪 😎

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #292 ·
Okay a big milestone is completed. The basic rack is painted SEM trim paint, the hinges and pneumatic lifts are installed and it all works perfectly so far. The rack is ready to be installed in the car tomorrow hopefully !Closed cell
foam has been installed on all
mating surfaces and on the bottom of the bottom rack.

Once installed ii can proceed on doing some sort of cover panels and get the gear back installed.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,789 Posts
Okay a big milestone is completed. The basic rack is painted SEM trim paint, the hinges and pneumatic lifts are installed and it all works perfectly so far. The rack is ready to be installed in the car tomorrow hopefully! Closed cell
foam has been installed on all mating surfaces and on the bottom of the bottom rack.

Once installed i can proceed on doing some sort of cover panels and get the gear back installed.
Looks great! (y) How many rattle cans of SEM for that?

·
Registered
4,789 Posts
Thanks, too many, lol. 4 cans and mostly because this was my first time using the stuff. To do it again 3 would be sufficient.

i spent an inordinate amount of time filling, prepping, priming and sanding so that helped a lot 🤪
That's what I figured, haha. It takes a good bit of paint for full, even coverage on BB or MDF with a rattle can! But your time and effort paid off IMO. ;) (y)

Cheers

·
Registered
5,411 Posts
i spent an inordinate amount of time filling, prepping , priming and sanding so that helped a lot
All of that effort pays off - I don’t have much patience for it…..the phrase, ‘good enough’ always gets stuck in my mind…..sometimes my wife has to touch up after me

She put a last coat of paint on one side of these yesterday - that is about 1/2 of the doors - lots of sanding, primer, paint.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #300 ·
All of that effort pays off - I don’t have much patience for it…..the phrase, ‘good enough’ always gets stuck in my mind…..sometimes my wife has to touch up after me

She put a last coat of paint on one side of these yesterday - that is about 1/2 of the doors - lots of sanding, primer, paint.

Oh my gosh you just gave me nightmares !!!

Looks awesome though and something i have wanted to do to my kitchen at some point.

281 - 300 of 323 Posts